XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Couple questions from a newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Couple questions from a newbie.

I just acquired a '90 Sovereign and am currently fixing a lot of minor ****les. So far, I've pulled a broken drivers door handle, acquired another and successfully swapped lock cylinders. Haven't reinstalled as I'm waiting for a new gasket. Replaced a shorted battery. Fixed a cracked glove box w/stiff hinge. It has a squeek/rattle in the front end so I'm thinking shock bushings, but haven't jacked it up yet. Also, purchased 2 different repair manuals, while waiting for other parts to arrive. And I've already posted in the 'new forum member' section!!!
The SLS is still intact. It does leak somewhere near the 'Y' hose as drips were observed after getting the car home. My first question, is the HSMO reservoir pressurized? I'm wondering if that 'Y' feed hose is under any pressure, or if any hose can be used for partial replacement.
I also have some paint/rust issues to address. The valance panel above the rear license plate is off having rust removed. Rockers need some help as well, but no holes that I can see. Second question...what color is the plastic cowl below the windshield supposed to be? Mine is multi-hued between dark gray and off white. I have some satin black for plastic already, thinking that might look ok.
Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

"Y" hose is not under pressure and the cowl should be black.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the reply, Ken! This forum has been very helpful in my repair endeavors!
Replaced the driver's door handle! Good thing I've got skinny arms and hands. Must be a requirement to work at Jaguar factory .
Working on pulling 'Y' hose, but it's not coming off reservoir. Left front shock noise traced to shock stud that is 4 inches too high, rubbing against coolant recovery tank. New shocks ordered!
Cowl was painted and turned out pretty well!
Fuel door hinge was replaced, leading to next issue. It appears there is no latching mechanism in the recess to capture the door pin. Cable and mechanism under the latch (in the trunk still work). I'm assuming previous owner broke it out after hinge was rusted off. Any pics of a working latch? Any good sources for a latch? Can just the latch be replaced, or does the whole assembly around the fuel tank filler tube need replacing?
Thanks!
Dave

Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 AM

Two steps forward, one step backwards!
I removed the front shocks last night. Driver side was frozen, and judging by the wear marks on the shaft rubbing against the mount, was probably that way for quite awhile!
As for the step backwards, I moved on towards removing the hoses from the HSMO tank. Main feed hose was hard to grab so I thought removing the smaller return hoses would give me room. One came off, then other was stubborn, until SNAP, and broke the other smaller nipple off the tank. Nice! Repairable? Glue-able?
I'm beginning to see why there is no such thing as a 'cheap' Jag.
Dave