XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Front End Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front End Repairs

Last weekend I took my car to a national tire retailer for a front end alignment. The technician told me that I needed a right lower ball joint and inner tie rod end. I checked it out while it was on the rack and there was play in the ball joint. The tech called around for a tie rod end and told me it was $214.00. After choking on that one, I told him I would get the parts. So I went to my local Jaguar shop and bought both parts for about $117.00 (there was a core charge for the tie rod end). Then I called the tire retailer to see what they would charge to install the parts. They wanted $300.00 just to install the parts! They said it takes 3 hours to install the ball joint. I looked in my Haynes manual and it doesn't look that complicated. The heat index in Tulsa is 114 degrees F today and my garage isn't air conditioned.

Is there something that I'm missing as far as the difficulty of installing these parts? I can put up with the heat if its a fairly easy job. I'll just get an early start in the morning.

Update: This past Saturday, I rented a tool set and attempted to pull the lower ball joint. I was unable to make any of the various tools in the kit fit over the ball joint, and therefore was unable to remove the old one. Does anyone know if there is a specific tool for removing the lower ball joint? I attempted to drive it out with a drift and hammer, but it wouldn't budge.

Last edited by Robert; 07-18-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Robert, there are various types of splitter available, from the more expensive screw on type to the simple one that I have.

Basically looks like a big music tunning fork with a flat wedge type profile and taper to fit various sizes.

You loosen the lock nuts, place the tool between the head of the joint and the tie rod and give it a whack or two with your mechanics best friend to pop the joint.

Take the weight off the wheel, with a jack and or stand first.

Do not think about hitting the screw thread head part.

You will most likely wreck the rubber boot, but you will be replacing this whether or not.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks, Richard. Before we moved from Kentucky to Oklahoma, I had a ball joint separator tool. But I can't find the thing anywhere. When I rented the ball joint puller from the my local auto parts store, I looked for a ball joint separator, but they didn't have one. Since you suggested it, I checked with another store and they carry one for rental. I'll go there this weekend and give it another try. I just can't see paying someone almost $300.00 US to do the job.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 PM

The end of the story:

Bought a ball joint from the local Jaguar shop, then I went to Auto Zone to rent a ball joint separator tool. Late at night, when it was cool, I jacked up the Jaguar and replaced the ball joint. Not bad. Then this morning, I went to Robertson Tires and had the front end alignment done. All is well.