XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Getting to know my XJ81

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting to know my XJ81

Hi guys, I have introduce myself a few days ago here. Long story short I have a Nissan Patrol with a very underpowered engine that is getting me crazy.

I wanted to swap the original 2.8 TDI for an american V8, it has been done many times with amazings results arround the globe. But searching for a 4L80E gearbox I found a complete XJ81 on ebay, before bidding for it, I study a bit about the V12 6.0 and finally decided to give it a try and be one a step ahead and swap the XJ81 engine and gearbox combo on my Nissan Patrol.

Right now I have more questions than answers, my original plan was to brake apart this sweet Jaguar, keep whatever I need in order to swap the engine and sold the rest. But after a quick ride in my new Jaguar and reading about this car, I dont know what to do.

So... My actual plan is to fix/overhaul/clean/tunned/whatever the engine and gearbox IN the car, before breaking it apart. Once the job is done, and im more familiar with the car, I will think about this project again.

When I bought this car, the description clearly stated that "Is a good runner but needs a new battery and a new fuel sender unit" "barn stored for about 4 years" But when the car finally arrive to Marbella, the truck driver told me that they loaded with the engine running, that just need a battery and it was running very smooth. We put a battery, we turn it on and it drove really nice for like a mile, then started with an engine failure, some rattle, lost power, didnt rev up, and finally stoped and never started again. I open the hood, take the engine cover off, got very confused, and decided to tow it back home to have a look later. I haven't have the time yet to have a look of what can be wrong.

Im an architect, but Im not new in the mechanic world, Its the first time I deal with a V12, its the same of what im used to, but it overwhelm me the 12 of everything that lay under the hood!

So... My first task with the new Jaguar is to turn it on again to start getting to know it better. The engine bay didnt smell like gasoline, So I guess is the fuel sender unit the problem, do you think is that? how can I reach the fuel sender unit?

For Christmas im going back home (Chile) for two months, I have no hurry in doing all of this, I just do it for personal pleasure. So this thread will probably last forever and take a different route every month hahaha. So far I have read and learn A LOT from this forum and I hope I keep on learning from you guys.

Thanks in advance, Giovanni.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Is running again! Was gas... Ran out of gas and the fuel meter is not reading OK...

Old 11-20-2012, 07:33 AM

Last night I tried the new Jag, its not perfect, but damn is a nice car! The fuel sender unit is not working, and sometimes theres a weird selenoid noise inside the cabin, But other than that the car runs really OK.

I have search without any results about someone swaping the V12 with EFI onto another car, I dont know how to deal with the electronics, its my biggest concern before attempting to swap the engines, do you where to start reading?

Thanks in advance, Giovanni.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Giovanni,

There is a V12 down here in a MK2 Jaguar, TIGHT fit.

It is a 5.3ltr, and the engine management was a simple enough fix, but not having an electronic transmission made it very easy.

The 6ltr with more technical engine management and an electronic controlled transmission will have the brain cells buzzing.

NOTHING is impossible, just a matter of how far you really want to go.

ON TOP OF THAT, to destroy such a RARE care for that is very sad in my opinion, repeat MY OPINION.

One of those recently sold down here for near $20K Aus dollar. They are rare anywhere, and one that runs like yours from the UK is special in anyone's world.

Most of the running issues are probably a BLOCKED fuel filter, from 4 years of sitting, and then being fired up with dregs in the tank.

If it were me doing this swap, I would use a 5.3ltr, and a TH400 transmission. A Wolf 3D engine management will have it running sweet, and the trans is NON electronic, simple.