XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

got my new jag now to start fixing the issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default got my new jag now to start fixing the issues

Ok I finally have the jag and have a better idea what all the issues are. The big one is the gauge cluster doesn't work AND the lights behind the gauge stays on and thus drains the battery. I have found some threads on other models and will continue to look here but if any one has any ideas on what to look for first I would appreciate it.

Oh and the transmission works great on the highway but from a stand still feels like it ids starting in 3rd. I know this has to do with the gauge issue.

Thoughts

Old 05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Rutty,

Welcome and congrats.

Please provide your model year, engine and it's very helpful to have your VIN (last six digits) in order to give you the best and most specific help for the issues you have with the vehicle.

You can add your VIN, model year and engine to your signiture line, that way it will always be present when you post a question.

As far as your gauge cluster is concerned.....need to know the model year.... but, you should have a fuse on the drivers side footwell for the cluster, try pulling it for a temporary measure to drop power to the cluster. On my model it's the #2 fuse.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 05-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:19 PM

Vin SAJKY174XNC651272 sorry I'm on my phone and my signature is only on my big computer I guess.

1992 vanden plas fishtank lenses. Xj40 ;-)

Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Rutty,
If you haven't already, you should check to see if there are any fault codes on the VCM and say whether or not the check engine light is on. The codes are checked by shutting off the engine and turning the key to position II - but not cranking. Then press VCM and wait to see what is displayed on the monitor where the mileage usually is.

Best,
Scott

Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 PM

The whole gauge is off and NO lights work at all. Is there any other workaround?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Oh, I see. My bad. I didn't realize that even the mileage was not showing. So yes, getting that solved seems to be first things first.
Scott

Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM

Ok so I just got it back from Oklahoma city to Dallas (drove). It drives great. No issues with idle or anything. Now for the weird stuff.

1) None of the gauges work at all. Tach, fuel, temp, OP, spedo... et al
2) the ODO has some weird figures on it (Pic attached)
3) No warning lights or anything light up on dash
4) Hear all the bells and when doing a turn signal hear the click click click
5) all lights work inside except where the dash is. They stay on all the time, car on or not.
6) Radio doesnt work but "security" light and clock work
7) all seats, locks, lighters, etc work, seat heater doesnt
8) Battery drains fully if left with battery intact over night
9) In the glovebox under the phone a 5 amp fuse is missing (says for instrument cluster) changed and put one in and nothing happened.
10) Phone has no power at all either. I know I can't use it but I would think that would have power.
11) Sport mode light is illuminated and wont do anything when pressed.
12) From a stand still it feels like it is starting in a higher gear than 1st. Basically it feels sluggish off the line but full power on highway and cruising speeds.

So far that is what I know. If you have any ideas or thoughts about this or if they all sound related let me know. Unfortunately I can't tag it here till I get this fixed. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Pictures

Attached Thumbnails got my new jag now to start fixing the issues-20130512_122849.jpg   got my new jag now to start fixing the issues-20130512_122859.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Rutty,

Have you attempted to remove the cluster to examine the connections? It's not hard to do, just need to be a contortionist to get to the screws holding the cluster to the dash frame.

Need to remove the knee bolster to get to the two back screws and I would advise that you remove the bottom covers of the light assembly and trip comp to have easier access to the front screws. There are four total screws holding the cluster to the dash.

Odd the fuse for the instrument cluster was missing..... have you discussed the situation with the previous owner to get any additional information as to why the fuse was removed and the cluster isn't working? Did they tell you anything about it at all?

Need to get the cluster operational in order to see if there are any error codes related to the possible transmission issue.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM

Ok weird development tonight. Got in the car and started it up and all gauges worked. Still have the light staying on draining the battery but gauges now work. Have the check engine light on and 2 others. Tried to pull codes and the vcm didnt do anything. So now what?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Hi - if you've got the check engine light on, the VCM should display a code or fail - are you checking the code properly?

When I first got my car I was trying to check codes and got nothing too at first (until I learned you can't get a code with the engine running)

Scott's #4 post above tells you how to read codes btw.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

You can download the complete Haynes Manual through the download link in my signature.

Drill into the XJ40 section.

Red lights take action now.

Orange lights, think about doing something. Simple things like washer bottle.

This jag has been standing for a long time. Pull and check every single fuse you can find. Both side boxes and the center box.

Even the slightest amount of oxidation can cause all sorts of weird issues.

You might also want to try a hard reset.

Remove the batt +ve lead and touch it to the -ve post.

You will need the code to reset the radio, 4 digits. Don't have it? A Jaguar dealer may be able to help you out, proof of ownership, ID, and the VIN.

On my XJ40 if the battery was going bad then the digital green readout used to display all sorts of Martian Code.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 AM

Well thanks for all the help. I went through the fuse panel and found several fuses blown and replaced. Now everything works but the light behind the dash still stays on draining the battery.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Good to see that you are making progress.

I see a new battery in your future.

Even if the instrument light remains on there is no way that it should kill a good battery overnight.

You are talking about the green display?

If so, from what the guys that know have previously posted I'd be looking for a bad ground/earth.

The usual method to look for batt drain is to hook up an ohmmeter and progressively pull fuses until you see a change.

Others will have better responses.

And hey, we need some pics now that you have the car home. Doesn't matter if it needs a wash, post em up.

PS, I hope that you made a note of the blown fuses, they don't blow for no reason.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM

Yeah on Saturday we tried to jump it to get it going and it wouldn't turn over. Replaced the battery and all was good on getting her going.

I drove it last night and man is it a dream to drive. So smooth and the shift is so tight you can't even feel it changing gears. I was cruising at 80 and it was like floating. I am so impressed that a 21 year old car is still such a marvel of automotive achievement.

I will say that for all the well thought out thing on the car there are some things that you just go "what were they thinking" like fuse panels EVERYWHERE and the one in the trunk seems like it would get wet being back there just from hot and cold... Oh well.

I decided (since I have to get a Texas inspection) I would take it up to Autosource in Dallas and have them give a good once over to make sure everything is buttoned up. Chris (from here and highly recommended from many people on this forum) took the keys and said he would take good care of me on it. Once I get it back I am going to clean her up and do some scratch removal and replace some minor stuff. I'll get some better pictures then but in the mean time...

By the way the jag came with the origional tires (front) and the last owner liked the newer rims off a 300 (I think). I think I like the origional ones better so I am going to make sure tires are in good shape and switch them out. What to you think? Which ever ones I don't use I am going to sell... with good rubber on them do you think 400-500 is reasonable or would you say less?

Attached Thumbnails got my new jag now to start fixing the issues-20130512_173107.jpgsmaller.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

No idea on prices in your area, but if one of the sets are 16" as opposed to the 15" teardrops I'd keep the 16".

You will have much better tyre choices, including the fact that the Jaguar recommended 225/65/15 are no longer available.

The following users liked this post:
Rutty (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 PM

They are actually the same from what I can tell. Tires are 70 instead of 65 on both.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rutty
They are actually the same from what I can tell. Tires are 70 instead of 65 on both.
Turns out the parasitic drain was the das dimmer. Fixed and all is good. Woooooo hoooooo

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

So some belts and some new fluids and the Jag purrs like it should. Only big ticket item is both front wheel bearings needed replacing. Lots of play in the front. Got her tagged and inspected. Rest is all cosmetic. Some dents and scratches but that is to come. Next item on the list is tint.