XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Hellooo-locked out of 91 XJ6 Vanden Plas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hellooo-locked out of 91 XJ6 Vanden Plas!

I just bought this used car a few days ago...now I'm locked out. My keys aren't working..just hear clicking noise when I try to unlock it. It locks and unlocks from the inside..but now I can't get in! Trunk won't open either. Help!!

Old 05-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Try using the key manually in the door lock, black key should work even if the CL has got a sticky actuator or faulty locking module.

Only the black key will work the trunk, the green key won't.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Same problem with my car the pass. side never works (even manually) then my drivers side gave out. Had to call AAA and have them come open her up. I can hear the actuator in the door functioning but it does not actually lock/unlock. After watching the AAA guy break in I found it ias very easy with these cars. He shimmed the top of the door open a little bit; enough for him to get a loop of plastic through. Then hooked that loop around the door lock and pulled it up and walla.

A little story:
I never lock my car now, and since where I live people just break your windows if they want in I leave it open. My roommate had his window broken in and they took a study guide and a red bull. Every now and then my meter change stash will come up missing but id rather have it gone minus the broken window.

If I am going to leave it around I do sneaky antitheft things like unplug the distributor, or unhook a few suction lines, I even stuffed a plastic bag in the intake so it couldn't start that way. Another great one that I just found out is to pop up the inertia switch.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

luvmyjag:
Bummer! If the black key can't get you in (which, if I remember right, should at least get you into the trunk because it can be turned manually, not electronically) I'd follow gunner's advice and get somebody to help you break in and then keep the doors unlocked. Read up on the door locks for this car - which is a notorious weak spot in design. They just wear out. Then you can decide if you want to take the time and spend the money to replace the mechanisms in each door. It's going to be a bit of work, but if the car is in otherwise good shape, it's something you will want to do.
By the way, are you in Madison, Wisconsin?
Cheers,
Scott

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Hello- Neither one works. Believe me...I tried both keys for each door and trunk. I think I will just have to call AAA. Thanks for responding! Maria

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for your input! I will definitely try and see if I can do that or call AAA. I am willing to keep the doors unlocked..just hope that I don't forget. It's habitual for me to just lock everything.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM

Yes, Scott, am in WI. Small world isn't it? I will follow gunner's advice and figure out the next. I am willing to keep door unlocked...it's just I hope to remember NOT to since it's habitual for me to lock everything without even thinking. Yikes! Maria