XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Hoping to buy a 92 Vanden PLas here, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoping to buy a 92 Vanden PLas here, have questions

Greetings, I am new to the forum and Jags in general. My neighbor approached me recently because she wants to sell her 92 Jaguar Vanden Plas. I am a car dealer, but have zero background with the Jags. The car, according to their testimonies is an excellent runner and the body is very clean. I started it and it definitely ran rough. It was misfiring I think. The owner expressed that the power steering leaks. A check engine light is illuminated, however owner claims it has always been there suggesting it is a minor sensor issue. What is the value of something like this 92 Vanden Plas 151k leather, nice condition? It definitely needs new tires and I presume it will probably need upwards of $500 for parts to get it running optimally, but I may luck out. I think she'll take $700. She started at $1,500, I declined, she called about $900, I still declined. I think it may be worth the risk at $700. Can someone please alleviate some of my fear about these cars? Thanks in advance for responses.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

glocki:
If you check kbb and nada you will find that generally speaking this car in this condition has very little value! I think $700 is not inappropriate, but I'd double or even triple your estimate for parts not knowing exactly what you are going to need. Mercifully, there are some great internet suppliers, many of which have their own graveyards for used parts. The 'check engine' could be anything. You should familiarize yourself with reading the cars VCM located on the dash. That will most likely give you a fault code for your CEL, and also mostly likely point you in the right direction regarding the engine stumble.
In any event, sounds like a project. Even if you just plan on selling it once you get it running well, you might not make much on it; and you might find it's not worth the heartbreak. I don't mean to discourage you, because it would be great to see this worthy car get the attention she needs from a worthy owner! You may be the one.

Best of luck,
Scott

Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your response. I should have added that I would probably keep the car as a personal-use vehicle. I have always been fond of these old Jag's. I should disclose that the engine compartment is immaculant, and I am presuming it is a simple spark, or cap issue with the car. Based on how well the owners treated the car prior to garaging it, I think it may be worth the risk.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Can't go too far wrong for $700.

A 1992 Jag is like a '92 Lincoln or '92 Cad or '92 Mercedes. That is, things can get expensive in a hurry....especially with a check engine light. But, you're right...it might just need a tune up and a oxygen sensor or some such.

If you can do some or most of your own work you can keep an old Jag on the road fairly inexpensively.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by glocki
I think it may be worth the risk at $700.
Running rough isn't a problem if its not blowing smoke at the same time. You said maybe personal use. Get it. The trans and engine are bullet proof. As a dealer to buy and re-sell it could be more of a problem, because someone who buys it and doesn't know these cars may be back time and again asking you questions and the such. If you wanr a well built car, that you can tinker with I think 700 is a steal.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Good suggestions from Doug & mtr. I'm with them - I'd buy it if I were you!

Cheers,
Scott