XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

New @ Jaguar Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New @ Jaguar Forum

I'm new at the Forum and need help getting my 1993 xj40 running. I bought it a week ago with 113k miles. When I test drove it, I was amazed at how well it ran and everything worked, even the A/C. I was driving it the next day and it died while on the freeway, had no power to the starter. So I towed it home and found that the negitive battery cable had come out of the terminal. So I put it back on, and nothing. Still have no power, no guages, or headlights, and I can't get it out of park. Thats it. Has anybody had any problems like this? Everything is so complicated on this car. Could it have to do with the security system? Thanks for reading my post.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

auctionaddict:
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Yes, the car can indeed be complicated, esp. when tracking down electrical issues. But patience and perseverance usually win out.

There is something called an "inertia switch" that, if tripped, will disable the entire car. Look under the driver's side dash by the pedals against the side of the car. I believe that if it is tripped, a lever of some sort comes up. It will need to be put back into the normal position.

If not that, is it possible that you have the 'simple' problem of a dead-flat battery? If perhaps the alternator was perhaps bad when you bought it and the battery had enough charge to carry you through the ride home, maybe you need a new one (and, of course, alternator). I have no idea what, if anything, might have happened as the result of your negative cable.

Anyway, these are first impressions. Best of luck and welcome again.
Scott

Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You have a fine car , congrats I find later models the best XJ40s too
You can also check out FAQs at the top of the page for the things you wanna know on your ride
Have a nice driving

Old 02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your input. I am determined to find the problem with why it won't start as I have mentioned in prior posts. Since then I have gotten into the wirering under the the dash. I think my Jaguar is Italian because it looks like spaghetti to me.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I can tell you the people of this forum are extremely helpful and can usually give the right direction in diagnosing your issue. I have had lots of little things wrong with my 89 XJ40 and several times was about to abandon the project. Thanks to the fine enthusiasts on this forum, I stuck with it and my car is 80% there. See "I am throwing in the towel" thread for this reference.

I would double check the battery cable and make sure its making proper contact. Also if there is a lot of corrosion, that will impede continuity. Battery cables are cheap. It might be best to replace it if you already had an issue with it simply pulling out of the terminal. To check this, have someone sit in the car while to move the bad cable around in the terminal. If you are getting power on and off, the cable is the problem.