XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating?

My car seems to overheat and not respond well when it does. In the temperature gauge, it usually never goes past 90. It normally lies one line below that. When it reaches 90, it doesn't want to go past 2500rpm or so. If I suddenly accelarate, it will go no further than 2500rpm and the car will actually slow down, as if changing to a lower gear. The radiator fluid is topped off, and it was recently drained. Are these symptoms for overheating? If so, then I suspect an issue with the coolant system, but then again, my radiator was replaced about a year ago. Brand new and at the dealer, $$$. When the car completely cools off, it works fine again, until it been driven for a while. This just started yesterday, so thats as much info I can provide for the moment.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Overheating?

Doesn't sound like you are overheating. Does the water boil or steam escape? It sounds like something is getting hot and doesn't want to work, but I don't know what. Does it run rough or just lose power?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM

The water does boil. Does not run rough. About losing power, it does, when it just gives up on me and doen't want to do past 2500rpm or so. If I suddenly accerelate, rpms go high, not past 2500-3000, and the car slows down as if changing to a lower gear.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a guess (and to be honest I'm not really sure how much even I believe it) you could have two different but relatedproblems. If the water is boiling, you have an overheating problem. Check coolant mixture, fan clutch, thermostat opening and close, aux cooling fan, water flow through radiator and clean the radiator to insure good air flow.

With the revs going up and car going no where makes me think you could have transmission problems. This is could be the result of the overheating. The water maybe getting hot enough to heat the fluid and cause slippage. You may also want to make sure your cats are no clogged. They can clog and cause overheating. I'm afraid the tranny thing maybe a bit of a stretch.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you have a jaguar radiator that failed causing the engine to overheat and blown the head gaskets. This is a common problem with cars today, the radiator tanks are made of plastic so when they fail it causes other problems. Today's automobile should replace the radiator every 4 years to help stop catastrophic engine failure.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I tend to go with an automatic transmission failure which in turn overheats the engine.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:50 PM

I kind of suspected the transmission also, but I wanted to hear it first from you guys. Rarely, I'll be at a stop light (this is before the overheating or any problems) and when it turns green the tranny seems to slip. As if there was a gear below 1st, like a half gear, idk. I'll accelerate and for no more than a second or two the car will barely move, then it catches abruptly and continues. I dreaded this, I assume it will costly, since everything else has been.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

we areguessing, and as you can see, you've gotten three different opinions as to what it can be. We have experience as Jaguar owners, and Ken has experience in Replacement Parts, but none of us are Trained Technicians.

In a case like this, I would take my car to a local Jaguar technician who has dealt with1989 cars,to get an estimate and a diagnosis.Then, when you find out exactly what it is,you know what is involved. It might be something simple to repair.

Have you checked the Transmission FLUIDafter the car has warmed up??
Your 1989 has a Getrag transmission.If the problem is the transmission, you canprice a used unit starting with Ken.But first do yourself a favor and warm up the engine for around 25 minutes driving around the neighborhood, then check the transmission fluid with the engine running andtransmission in PARK.
Let us know what you find out.