XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Retro brake booster conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Retro brake booster conversion

Hi,
I have a 1988 3.6 XJ40 with the 5 speed m,anual gearbox. I have bought a retro fit brake booster kit to replace the hydraulic system. Unfortunately the fit , which should only take about 2 hours, has come to a grinding halt. The reason being that as my car is a manual and it has the clutch master cylinder and associated pipe work right along side the braking system, thus impeding where the booster would normally sit. Has anyone else fitted a booster system to a manual car and if so can they guide me in the right direction as to what bits I would need and a quick outline as to how they went about it.
Thanks.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Torque,

I notice you haven't had any replies to your question as yet. How are you traveling with the conversion? Any luck yet?

There are not many manual gearbox xj40's around so trying to offer advice is a little difficult. Is there any chance you might be able to post some pics so we can all see what you are dealing with in regard to clearances, etc.? It sounds like some imaginative engineering (without compromising your safety) might be the order of the day?

Sorry I can't be of greater help...

The following users liked this post:
Torque59 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque59
Hi,
I have a 1988 3.6 XJ40 with the 5 speed m,anual gearbox. I have bought a retro fit brake booster kit to replace the hydraulic system. Unfortunately the fit , which should only take about 2 hours, has come to a grinding halt. The reason being that as my car is a manual and it has the clutch master cylinder and associated pipe work right along side the braking system, thus impeding where the booster would normally sit. Has anyone else fitted a booster system to a manual car and if so can they guide me in the right direction as to what bits I would need and a quick outline as to how they went about it.
Thanks.
Bugga.

I did ours (auto) using the kit from local Indy here, and yes, a tad more than 2 hours all done.

I reckon you will need whatever is used on the X300 manual cars, RARE down here. Some of the UK guys may be able to assist I reckon.

The following users liked this post:
Torque59 (02-24-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake conversion

Thanks Jagfix and Grant for your input. At the moment I am investigating my options. I am presently thinking that I will endevour to put a banjo fitting, or an 90 elbow fitting at the top of the clutch master cylinder where the pipe work exits. The factory outlet is a straight fitting inwhich the outlet pipe comes out from (that is, the pipe exites heading parallel to the engine), heading towards the front of the car before it turns to go towards a damper cylinder and ultimately to the gearbox. From what I can see it seems that it is the pipework which is the only thing that is impedeing the fitting of the booster. If I can shift the pipework from exiting the master cylinder so that it exits heading towards the engine that should give me enough room. I will also have to remount a damper/diaphram in the clutch line mounted beside the master cylinder. Hopefully I can get away with a flexible braided line to do this. I will try to upload photos as I go but I'm not to good at that kind of stuff , so please bear with me.
By the way how do you add photos to a reply / thread?

Last edited by Torque59; 02-24-2013 at 07:12 AM.