XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Tempting, but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have a 89 the "Bad Years" of Jag to own. I really think it's a fine car. It is comfortable quite, quick, and fun to drive. Reliable you ask? I haven't driven my XJ6 since Feb and I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it when I get home in August, fire it up and drive to the east coast(about 1200 miles one way). Matter of fact, I plan to do just that.

It sat, with it's battery tender in the garage unmoving since July 31, 09 and it fired without missing a beat when I got home on R&R in early Feb 2010. It sat for 6 months and then took me on a relaxing journey through the country side. The quite beauty of the day passing outside my windows with a straight six singing under the hood as she pushed the limits down the country roads.

I missed my Jag, you can't say that about many cars....

Take care of your Jag and it will take care of you.

Last edited by ArmyJag; 05-04-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

To JameyXJ6, justV12, Translator, and ArmyJag; thank you for your encouragement. That's what a forum such as this is all about. Before my MGB was totalled by a youngster in his mommy's Lincoln Town Car, I belonged to an MG forum and received a great deal of advice and encouragement. As to any Jaguars in my future, I've convinced my wife that one is a necessity and have two in my sights. One is the 1993 XJ6 Vanden Plas that I mentioned previously. The other is a 1990 XJ6 Vanden Plas. The '90 has a few more miles, but appears to be in better condition. I just missed a 1987 XJ6 that was gorgeous and in great condition. The owner wanted to get it out of his garage and only wanted $1000, but it was gone before I could act.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:39 AM

If you've dealt with the Carbs on a MG then you can handle whatever a XJ6 will toss at you.

I hate those stupid oil filled side draft creatures of satan. Love my MGB though

Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
If you've dealt with the Carbs on a MG then you can handle whatever a XJ6 will toss at you.

I hate those stupid oil filled side draft creatures of satan. Love my MGB though
Actually, I did much more than just deal with the carbs on my old MG. I rebuilt the front end, replaced the top, fought with a brake caliper issue that had experts stumped, suspension mods, etc. So I feel confident I can handle any issues with an XJ6. Last night I checked out a 1990 XJ6 Sovereign that has 144000 miles. It is British racing green with tan interior, sunroof, etc. and it's in pretty good condition. Any minor issues are more cosmetic and can be handled pretty easily. All the electrical switches work, but there is one thing I would like to ask about. I read somewhere that on some models of Jaguars the rear brake rotors are not mounted at the wheels, but are on the axles near the differential(?) and that the best way to replace the brakes is to remove the entire rear end! Is this true, and is the 1990 XJ6 one of those models?

Old 05-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I read somewhere that on some models of Jaguars the rear brake rotors are not mounted at the wheels, but are on the axles near the differential(?) and that the best way to replace the brakes is to remove the entire rear end! Is this true,

True that many had the "inboard" rear brakes. On those cars replacing the brake *pads* is easy. Replacing the caliper and/or rotors is difficult and many find dropping the entire suspension is the easiest way to tackle it. Lot's of work but it's actually not all *that* big of a deal.

and is the 1990 XJ6 one of those models?

Nope ! :-) Outboard brakes on that one.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Like he said the brakes are outboard on the XJ40 88-94.

If you handled all that on the MG you'll do fine with a Jag.

Now quit your whining and go buy yourself a Jag

Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 PM

Well, I did it. Today I bought a 1990 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign. It is sweet! Last night when I drove her, her engine was smooth and had no vibration or missing at all. Today, as soon as I paid for the car and started down the street, she started missing. I thought "Oh, great. What have I gotten myself into?" But after about 8 miles, I decided to get some fuel injector cleaner and gas. Did that and within about 5 miles, she was running smooth again. Really love my Jag!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:35 AM

Congrats now take some pictures and post them up.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Come on Robert don't be shy, step out of the car for a few moments and take a pic or two.

We are all waiting.;-)

Congrats on taking the plunge, as you know, the guys will help you to keep everything tickety-boo

Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Smile

For those who have requested a photo of my Jaguar, I have attached one that shows the car to good effect, I think. This morning, I was checking over the fluids and the power steering/rear suspension hydraulic fluid was low. I checked the manual to see if what type was required, and it said to only use Jaguar hydraulic fluid. Is that right? Why wouldn't some other type work. I believe the tank for the fluid says to use a mineral-based oil. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Tempting, but...-jaguar-002.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Nice pic Robert; she looks good.

Mine says Castrol 5966 on the tank or HSMO spec in the manuals. (red colour) and I buy it from any auto parts store.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM

I went to my local Advance Auto Parts store, and they had nothing. They suggested I go to the Jaguar dealer. So off to the local Ford/Jaguar dealer. After running around for almost 15 minutes complaining how his parts records don't go back to 1990, the parts clerk found a Jaguar part number 27LM9886, mineral-based hydraulic fluid. He couldn't find anything to confirm this was the correct fluid, so he asked another parts clerk. She wasn't able to help, so the first clerk went out to talk to a technician. The technician said that if it was mineral based, and was for the load-leveling system, then it was the correct fluid. I went ahead and bought it. It states on the container that it is for systems that have a special green cap that will accept the included flexible tube. My car only has a plain black cap, so is it okay to use?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you saying that you have an XJ40...with the self leveling suspension still operative???
I have never heard of such a thing, most have been replaces with regular dampers by now. You must have a very special well kept car! Very encouraging I must say.

JustV12

Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

Robert, cars earlier than ours had a see through tell-tale type of cap with a green level indicator inside the cap. In much the same way that Citroens have.

Later cars had/have, the black type tank and cap which has the short dipstick in the underside of the cap.

Try sticking a clean finger into the tank and look at the colour of the fluid, if what the Jaguar dealer has supplied is the same, then I would guess you are good.

If it is not the same colour do not mix the fluids.

Check the specs on the bottle they gave you. Do they agree with what is written on the reservoir/cap?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 PM

Richard,

I just checked the fluid that is in the car and it is a golden color. The fluid that the Ford/Jaguar dealer sold me is green. So I guess I need to return that fluid to the dealer and continue my search.

Thanks,

Robert

Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member

Golden??

Hold up there, are we talking about the same thing here?

I have a feeling that we are at crossed purposes.

I was thinking power steering. (hope I have not given you a bum steer). My 92 has red fluid in here, always has, in the 7 years I have had it, including before I changed a PS line a few years ago.

Where is this tank located?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM

I've attached some pictures of the reservoir. It is for the power steering and rear ride leveling system. All the manual states is to use Jaguar HSMO. As I said, the fluid in my Jaguar is a golden color and the fluid that the dealer sold me is green in color.

Attached Thumbnails Tempting, but...-rt_side_of_engine_bay.jpg   Tempting, but...-closeup_phs_reservoir.jpg  
Old 05-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

You got me checking into this for my 92. I had not really thought about it before now.

Well we have the same tank.

Looks like my 92 has had the wrong fluid in there ever since I have owned it, 7 years and 60k later. My dilema now is, do I drop and flush the PS system, which is working fine, or do I stick with it and wait until I need to?

The Castrol 5966 fluid has been discussed quite a lot through the forum, if you do a quick search you will see various threads.

Also had a look off site, this might interest you. Mineral Oil.

Apparently the correct stuff is green, so you have been supplied correctly. My 92 is wrong.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Richard,

Thanks for hanging in there with me and resolving this minor mystery. I appreciate it. I have to say, I enjoy driving my Jaguar more every day. It's a great car.

Robert

Old 05-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can help yopu with the interior at a very very low cost.. i have a 96 with full interior being pulled and replacing it with xjr stuff.. interior on mine is 85% or higher.. name it I have it...

Quick Reply: Tempting, but...