XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

V12 Blues please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V12 Blues please help!!!

Wow! It seems like you have done a lot of work with that engine. It does sound fuel starved. The carb cleaner result sort of leads me to think clogged fuel filter or fuel pump. Could be as simple as that.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

That was all a little hard to follow, let's get basic for a minute.

I don't think I ever saw a '94 V12 XJ40,I know they exist but are not plentiful in the U.S. Is this a U.S. spec car we are talking about?

If it is, and since you mentioned a failed B bank (left bank, driver's side in U.S.) coil, that suggests you have a Mirelli ignition system. There is no timing adjustment or reference marks for this system: timing is digitally controlled by a dedicated ignition ECU.

If you have a Mirelli ignition system and the B bank coil failed, the B bank catalytic converter is , in all probability, bad. The ceramic honeycomb material inside has melted, and is restricting the exhaust to the extent that the left bank may run OK at idle, but that's about it.

The stock Mirelli coils are HOT, I have seen cheap aftermarket clones but no other kind of round replacement coil. What you have installed is probably good enough to make the engine run, at least for now until you solve the bigger problem(s).You should do a little investigating to find out whether they have a voltage output anywhere near the stock ones. I don't know, I only use factory coils.

If you pull the vacuum hoses off the fuel pressure regulators and fuel runs out of them, that is a bad thing: it means the diaphragm is ruptured. That's about the only thing you will learn, there will be no marked change in engine performance if you pull the hoses off, so long as you block them to seal the vacuum leak you are creating which increases the idle speed a little.

There isn't any substitute for fuel pressure gauge readings, either you know exactly what you have by watching the gauge or you waste alot of time guessing.

If the car is all assembled and idles reasonably at the moment, start it up cold and go back and feel the temperature of the exhaust. Theright side willcome up to temperature faster if the left bank converter is blocked. I wouldn't call that an absolute test, but it may be different enough to help confirm the suspicion. Looking inside the cat will be most revealing.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I guess that answersmy question, you do have Mirelli ignition. The answer to your problem is not so easy.

There are aftermarket caps and rotors sold for these cars that cannot handle the voltage, and fail prematurely. Having said that, I just had to replace a factory cap and rotor ona '92 V12 XJS with a burned up carbon brush.These were new parts that I had installed about two years ago, and the car has stock coils on it. They were genuine Mirelli parts, and they weren't worth a crap either.

Check your converters.