xj40 programing key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xj40 programing key fob

Hi everyone can anyone help
i bought a second hand fob 1993 3.2S and cant get it to programe
i have tried the sequence shown ignition on alarm switch on and of etc
and it will recognise original fob and beep but not for additional fob.
ive opened up fobs and they both have the same frequency written inside
and look identical.
Ive swapped batteries and got the same result had both fobs checked
and both are giving out a signal my original gives better distance but not by much
so has anyone any ideas am i missing something obvious
also looked in a cardata book it gave a different programing sequence and said operate the valet switch and make sure the boot remote works.
What valet switch? the boot remote is working and i was under the impression the boot deadlock kicked in the valet system.
sorry if this seems long winded but want to save anyone covering what ive already done

Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Valet switch is located into the glove box . Since your trunk is open with "P" selected then it should be turned on .
Programming the fobs for 1990-92 is different than 1993-94 . There is also a security switch into the center armrest console . You can find the procedure for programming on the threads but I don't know if it will work 100%

Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I think that the Valet switch and Alarm switch that you refer to are one and the same. I've got XJ40's from both of the periods above and the toggle switch is not in the same location on either.

One common theme about programming Key fobs is that you need to program the system for all fobs at the same time and that the alarm module (located in the centre overhead) is paired to a specific fob/fobs.

Thus two different fobs from different vehicles cannot then be paired to the same vehicle.

A brand new fob from a dealer will not have been previously mated to any car and so the program sequence for the existing fob, and new fob would work.

I'm sorry to say that the second hand seller's don't bother with this "tiny" bit of information.

I know that this does not help you, but can't see any way of mating fobs from two different cars.

If you visit a dealer, and purchase a new fob, they will program it for you.

Personnaly speaking, if you have one working fob, live with it, you are already in a minority.

As an aside, is there not still a big Landrover/Jag dealership in Bury? (lived in R'dale for 20 odd years).

'Up the Dale'

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Default key fob

it looks like i may have missunderstood then i thought the car recognised the signal frequency from up to 5 fobs if they were in the right range.
I read somewhere if you disconnect the battery pos lead and put it to ground it resets the system i cant see that this can do any harm
if it doesn't work ill send the fob back and like you say live without a spare
(nothing wrong with being greedy lol)
the dealer on Rochdale rd is just landrover now
zzrpilot

Old 11-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Default key fob

I was thinking of buying a key fob for my 1990 xj40 as it never came with one and just came with a standard key so i am not sure if it would work on my car or not as there are plenty for sale on ebay, how could i find out if it would work on my car or not