XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 XJ6 Left Side Windows Not Working!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1986 XJ6 Left Side Windows Not Working!

On my 1986 XJ6 VP the left driver and back window will not roll up or down nor will the sunroof work. But the right side windows both work. I cant seem to figure it out because I can not find a fuse for them. Please give me a hand before it rains

Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaoi-Wiccan
On my 1986 XJ6 VP the left driver and back window will not roll up or down nor will the sunroof work. But the right side windows both work. I cant seem to figure it out because I can not find a fuse for them. Please give me a hand before it rains
The simplest way to diagnose where the fault lies is to remove the switches from their place in the console and swap them with the ones that do work. Rather than replace the switches, it is possible to disassemble them and clean the contacts with a pencil rubber (eraser) to remove any deposits or corrosion. Just be careful not to lose the springs.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Switches are a common fault and, as mentioned, they can be cleaned to restore proer operation in the majority of cases.

However.....

In your situation I'd swap the two circuit breakers and see what happens.

Power for the windows and sunroof comes from the window relay. Output from the relay branches off to two circuit breakers. One circuit breaker power the right side windows; the other power the left windows and sunroof.

Since your left windows and sunroof are all inoperative I'd be tempted to suspect the circuit breaker.

The breakers are on the right side compnent panel, about 1" square, with two spade terminals. Each one will have red/slate wires. Just swap them over...or swap the wiring over.

If one is faulty it can replaced with a generic 30 amp breaker from the local parts store.....unless you wanna spend $50 for a Jaguar original :-)

I've seen some cars where the breakers were replaced with simple inline fuses.

If the new breaker trips or fails you'll have to trace a problem in the circuit.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Now would the right side compnent be were the right side fueses are?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:59 PM

Or where else would that be located?

Old 06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

The circuit breakers for both left and right windows are found on the right side component panel., below the fuse box, as I recall. They're mounted right next to each other. Remove the right side under-dash trim panel for access.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 06-17-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Clarity and spellink
Old 06-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Found theme. So I tried both circuits on both sides and both would work on the right side but neither would work on the left side. So Im not sure where to go from here now?

Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Found theme. So I tried both circuits on both sides and both would work on the right side but neither would work on the left side.

To clarify, both left and right side power windows would work if using the right side circuit breaker, correct? And none of the windows would work if using the left circuit breaker, correct? if so, it sounds like the left circuit breaker is dead.

So Im not sure where to go from here now?
Replace the left circuit breaker. You can use a genuine Jag circuit breaker (stupid expensive) or use can use a generic circuit breaker from an auto parters store. Or you can install an inline fuse.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a typical/generic power window circuit breaker

Corvette Power Window Circuit Breaker, 1979-1982 - Corvette Parts and Accessories

Cheers
DD

Old 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM

No both circuits would work for the right side of the car but neither would work on the left side of the car. So there both still good but the left side still has no power.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, both circuit breakers are OK, got it !

Well, I'd say you have a A) break in the wiring downstream of the circuit breakers B) or several inoperative switches or C) three dead motors

On GP you can remove the switches and clean them as previously mentioned.

Do you have a 12v test light? Or volt meter? Should be easy to see if the switches are getting supply voltage.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-18-2012, 12:15 AM

No both circuits would work for the right side of the car but neither would work on the left side of the car. So there both still good but the left side still has no power.
I have personally never experienced a problem with the circuit breakers, but it was probably in your best interest to swap them around and check their operation. While you should check to see there is power being supplied to the motors, it is also a good idea to check the circuits to ground as this is a common problem with English electrical components.

You can also apply power directly to the motors via a 'jumper wire' to see if the motors work, but more than likely it's either a switch or interruption to ground that is the problem.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Fortunately checking the grounds is easy....as all the window circuits (and cigar lighters, fiber optic source bulb, and maybe some other items) are all grounded together in the center console near the base of the gear shift.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Yes I have a volt meter. How would I go about checking the switches and cleaning them off?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 AM

Yes I have a volt meter. How would I go about checking the switches and cleaning them off?
Once you've removed the switches from the console, unplug them and CAREFULLY pry apart the outside middle part of the housing around the switch button to release the round pins. Once you've done that, you can remove the 'rocker' part of the switch and reach the copper contacts inside. Quite often the copper contacts have carbon deposits from arcing when the button is pressed, so you can simply clean the copper until it returns to a clean surface with no discolouration. Avoid anything very abrasive or chemicals so as to not damage the switch contacts. I have found the rubber, or eraser on a wooden pencil works best.

When you begin reassembly of the switch, be sure the springs are in their proper positions before seating the pins on the side of the switch button back into place.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 AM

I forgot to say the whole left side went out at once including the sunroof, not one at a time. If that makes a difference?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:31 AM

With a vehicle that is now thirty years old, anything is possible. Use a test-lamp and determine if you have power to the switches with the ignition in the 'on' position. If there is no power to the switches, there is a problem with the wiring and you will need to trace where the fault is using the wiring schematic for that year vehicle. If the vehicle has been operated in an area with corrosive salt used during winter months, there is also the possibility of corroded connectors or faulty ground points. A previous post in this thread mentioned the location of the ground point for the cigar lighter, windows and other accessories.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Check for "+" voltage on the red/slate wire at the sunroof switch and the left front window switch.

If no voltage you have an upstream problem (broken wire, loose connector, etc) between the circuit breaker and the switches.

If you DO have power at these two switches then clean the switches as described...which should be done on general principle anyway, given that they are known to be trouble spot.

I'm away from the diagrams at the moment but as I recall power to the left rear window switch comes *from* the left front window switch. SO.....if you have votage to the left front window switch, clean that switch and see if the left rear window switch gets power (the wire color changes....can't remember the colors)

Cheers
DD

Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

I forgot to say the whole left side went out at once including the sunroof, not one at a time. If that makes a difference?
Since those three are grouped together on the same branch of the power window circuit it would "suggest" an upstream problem.

As mentioned, though, anything can happen on these cars :-)

To recap: 1) check for voltage supply to the switches. 2) Check the ground wires ner the gearshift. 3) Clean the switches regardless of what you find. You'll be glad you did :-).

Cheers
DD

Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM

Ok so I took off the wire from the switch to the rear left window and then the driver window and sunroof would work, but when I pug the switch back on all 3 stop working and the relay makes a clicking sound every few seconds. Very strange but I kept that plug out since that window is already up and now I can use the driver window and sunroof plus the right windows.

Quick Reply: 1986 XJ6 Left Side Windows Not Working!