XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 Jaguar XJ6

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1987 Jaguar XJ6

I have been poking around on here for a week or two and I figured I’d create an account and introduce myself.

Recently I was perusing on craigslist looking for a new hole to dump my paychecks into, and came across an ad for an 87’ XJ6. The gentleman wanted 500$ for it, and I wasn’t expecting much of anything as interior, engine, or underbody. Being that the car had been kept here in Washington state its entire life, and the post stated the car had been sitting for 12 years, I half figured I was wasting my time going to look at it. Well that afternoon I had it on a trailer and on its way back to my garage. Mild surface rust around window seals, a dent on the fender and side runner, and all original parts, even if I couldn’t get it running or moving I could still do an LS1 swap, strip it, and drag it. Sunday I got the car home, Tuesday after work we had it running and idling on its own. Currently we are in the process of getting the last few fluids swapped, new brakes/rotors and the rest is cosmetic (No oil leaks, which shocked me). I felt pretty lucky with the find, the idle is a bit lumpy but the grounds still haven’t been scrubbed, and the vacuum hoses are being replaced this week (3/27/17) hopefully i'll find time this week and set up some good lighting and begin documenting the rest of the revival process (I wouldn’t wanted to have filmed the radiator flush anyways, it was a disastrous mess) Here are some pictures thus far of the Onca and a link to a short video of her cranking and running:

https://twitter.com/i/videos/844771857765023744

First Impressions of the car.

On the ferry ride home she was looking a bit... rough.

after an hour and minimum effort i was speechless how she was cleaning up.

All the electronics worked, Windshield wipers, headlights, reverse lights, interior, all of it!

Still cant get over having a leaper on the hood!

The following 7 users liked this post by Rouxx:
bill70j (03-27-2017), Flint Ironstag (03-28-2017), hooter (03-28-2017), Jag7651 (03-28-2017), LnrB (04-05-2017), peter J (04-09-2017), XJDanny (07-31-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

You're make fast progress. Good work !

Cheers
DD

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice score!
I've not long ago bought an 84 sovereign and it's also in great nick.
Just sorted out my vacuum issues, doing a headlight mod this afternoon and I'm going to look at the column controls later.
Mine is blue with pin stripes.
I'll be following this thread.
One thing I learned really early is to pay very close attention to the wiring above the water rail. Some of mine, due to age, had cracked and some shielding was missing on the wires going to the negative pole on the coil resulting in a short and a new coil. I've replaced the wire temporarily and am waiting on identical color match wires to arrive then I'll remake the efi harness and replace the+ and - wires to the coil.
​​​​​​​

Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Very nice, indeed.

1. I'd not sweat the lumpy idle. It seems that these cars are prone to that. Why seems a mystery. But, as long as it doesn't stall in inopportune places, live with it.

2. That dent just might respond to gentle counter force. A "push" from under with a smooth object, as in "chunk of wood".

3. The pro dent doctors probably have more sophisticated tools to pull it or push it out, sans paint damage !! For $'s of course.

Enjoy it.

Carl

Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

with Dayton wire wheels!! those alone cost more than the entire car.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:37 AM
Default Breaks

Well doing a full break job was a nightmare for the front end. A lot of stumbling points and self discovery. A strong note: do not let your heavy 4 piston calipers air dry at face level, they will always win when it comes to your face. Lucky me didn't need stitches.

Did a full bleed, new rotors, redid the hubs, new bearings, coated everything in new paint, rebuilt the Pistons with new software, and new fuel filter.

New NGK plugs as well. Was super excited to get her back on the ground, got everything put back on and lined up. She fired up with some coaxing, this is where more confusion set in. Managed to get her up the driveway and down the road, but as soon as I got about half a mile down the road, the engine started backfiring at random, no power, and would not rev when put in park, just studder and idle real low until stalling. I pressurized the fuel pump , turned the key and cranked up. Made it back to my garage, and as soon as I'm in the garage the engine freely idles and will rev to redline with zero issue. This was a confidence booster, so I backed up the driveway, went back down to where I was previously, this story directly repeats itself. Made it back to the garage, would redline and rev freely without studdering. I'm guess the injectors need cleaning, unless anyone else has a clue based on my poor description =P it's 2330 so I'm calling it a night for now.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

calipers would have looked better in Gold.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jose
calipers would have looked better in Gold.
This was just temporary to keep from re rusting for the time being. I do like the gold idea though, I'll have to jot that down.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

ohh I see, Jaguar used to paint certain cylinder heads Gold, they look wonderful.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
ohh I see, Jaguar used to paint certain cylinder heads Gold, they look wonderful.
i have been trying to find what they look like brand new off the showroom floor for color choices of auxiliary components. So any recommendations I'm absolutely all ears.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bjsovereign
Nice score!
I've not long ago bought an 84 sovereign and it's also in great nick.
Just sorted out my vacuum issues, doing a headlight mod this afternoon and I'm going to look at the column controls later.
Mine is blue with pin stripes.
I'll be following this thread.
One thing I learned really early is to pay very close attention to the wiring above the water rail. Some of mine, due to age, had cracked and some shielding was missing on the wires going to the negative pole on the coil resulting in a short and a new coil. I've replaced the wire temporarily and am waiting on identical color match wires to arrive then I'll remake the efi harness and replace the+ and - wires to the coil.
​​​​​​​looking at what is mentioned here I have a feeling I may need to run some shielding and check the wires a bit more thoroughly myself. It seems like someone else spliced in new wires at some point and it's a bit messy.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,306 Posts

The xj6 cylinder head was not painted - it was left in its raw state. Cam covers satin black with silver raised ribs. Auxiliary components (brake booster etc) were in satin black, small parts (fuel rail, master brake cylinder, etc) cadmium plated (silver/gold hue). The oil filler cap was black.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

in the Series 3 XJ models, everything was black that was going to be painted haha!

the cylinder head, bare aluminum, the block, black. Oil pan, bare aluminum. The valve covers, black, except for the inner valleys of the ribs which are bare, actually I just looked at mine, and it is the opposite, the inner valleys are black.

all aluminum parts, bare, all steel parts, black. Transmission, bare, rear cage, black.
front suspension, black, exhaust system, bare stainless steel. Manifolds, black. Heat shield over manifolds, bare. Black and Bare, Black and Bare. Radiator, black. Water pump, bare or black.

but you can paint anything, any color you want, forget the critics. If I ever have to remove my engine block, it comes back YELLOW haha! I want to be able to see where it leaks. And besides, black attracts heat!

Also I want to adapt a thin chain for the oil filler Cap, which I painted Gunmetal Grey. Easy to lose those caps, being (you guessed it) Black. A chain bolted somewhere so if I forget to refit it, it will not get lost.

Last edited by Jose; 04-04-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

except for the plastic radiator fan which some say they were white and turn yellow, and others say they were yellow to begin with.

ask me if I care what color it was or "should" be

Last edited by Jose; 04-04-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 PM

Well we got her to driving, didn't last all that long though. Super smooth and so quiet on the inside, the handling though was weird! I'm use to my BRZ, which has a turbo and coilovers, so the handling on the XJ made me almost uneasy, like driving a big sofa. Well about 10 miles into driving around the neighborhood, getting greedy with the fact it's running, and SPLOOSH we looked like a comet gliding down the road. Had a massive oil seal bust, and fun was over. Slowly made it back home coasting most of the way.

Well I have all the gaskets, seals, and tools to pull the engine and rebuild it. I'm a bit apprehensive since the only engine I have rebuilt was a Pontiac 400 for my Firebird. I'm optimistic that it's not going to be too strange or different in design. The oil leak ruptured from underneath the headers close to the firewall.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 PM

A link to a video of the car running. Still trying to get the coding down for this forum =P

Last edited by Rouxx; 04-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

but why will it need a rebuild?

At the back top of the engine there is an oil feed line with what they call "banjo fittings", could the leak be there?

Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

As to engine bay and engine colors, might take a look art what tankers do. The worst fear, short of a direct hit by an AP round is fire. Leaking oil and grease in he bay promote that. So, they get painted "white". Plenty of "cheap" labor and time to keep them clean and white.

When these guys came back to civilian life, many got into or resumed the car nut
phase. I knew one guy that chopped up a somewhat ratty but decent 32 Ford Cabrolet. Cheap off a car lot's back row at the time. Off with the top, chopped the windshield posts. Channeled the body down over the frame rails. Swapped out the original but tired V8. A fresh and much warmed up Mercury V8. White in the engine bay. Engine block white. And the sans upholstery cabin in white. Exterior, oh yeah, classic grey primer. Some day...

Carl

Old 04-05-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I agree with Jose. No need to leap from 'big oil leak' to 'rebuild engine'.

Find the leak and repair it. Then put some more miles on the car and see how things shake out.

As for the uneasy, driving-a-sofa feeling....check the steering rack bushings!

Cheers
DD

Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
As for the uneasy, driving-a-sofa feeling....check the steering rack bushings! Cheers DD
in Nashville they have Sofa and Easy Chair races every year, the winner in each category gets a box of 6 Krispy Kreme donuts for FREE!

he could enter the Jag this year. You never know.