XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1988 Jaguar XJ12 ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap!! You got away light with problems on your XJ12. Let's see...in order:

1. Don't know about the clicking noise. Possibly the rear end could use a rebuilt or maintenance.

2. The heater blower motor has gone south on you. Check the fuse and relay first, but more than likely the fan motor is out. Need a new one.

3. Speedometer - not a fuse. Fuses blow and that's that. Relay possibly, but more than likely a bad connection somewhere. But don't quote me on that...it's just a guess.

4. Don't know about your pop.

5. Sunroof and two rear window are more than likely due to a bad switch in your panel of switches. If one of the switches goes out, the rest that follow that switch (since they're all in line with each other) will not work. Get one new switch, and try each one.

6. Passenger window closes slowly because of moisture in the window track. Get some graphite and put it in the track. Roll the window up and down numerous times, and it should start going up and down easier.

7. Screeching noise could be worn brake pads. Take the tire off and check the thickness of your pads. Also could be a lack of lube in the axle joint (it's not an axle, but you know what I mean).

8. Horn could be numerous things: bad connection (has the horn been taken off at one point, and not put back on properly?), fuse, etc. Check the fuse first, then take the horn off, and put it back on, making sure of the connection inside.

9. Stay away from young mechanics, corporate (chain) mechanics, etc. Find the oldest mechanic in town and make sure he knows Jags. If he doesn't, he'll tell you who does.

Enjoy your XJ12!!!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Also, check the u-joints in the halfshafts.

You have two blower motors. See if one has given up the ghost.

The dragging window is probably the motor. Take it to a local electrical rebuilder and see if they can clean it up.

The non-responsive windows are probably the switch. Put one of the working switches in the place of the non working units and see if you get a response. (All the switches are the same.)

Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Speedometer stopping is the "transducer". You can drive by the tach without the speedo but you need the speedo to use the cruise control.
Once again it is the transducer in 98% of these cases for xj 12 and xj 6.
The other 2% it is a yanked wire or the transducer.

You will find a sheild that goes over the prop shaft (drive shaft) it can come off and produce that clicking sound you describe.
Fastens up simply enough once you get the car hoisted safely (read my signature) But there are other things it could be as well. Start with the cheap.

If I can get back to this in the next while I can tackle whatever hasn't been answered.

Cheers

Last edited by justV12; 11-12-2009 at 10:38 PM.