XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 XJ6 Sovereign Wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 XJ6 Sovereign Wont start!

Hey I'm having trouble starting my xj6. It will turn over but won't start. It was working fine an hour earlier after about a 30 minute drive, then I turned it off, came back and it wont start. I thought it was the battery at first so I charged it, still nothing. It'll crank like it wants to start, but nada. i checked the on board computer for any error codes and nothing came up. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

im new to the jaguar world but have done plenty of this stuff on other cars so i hope i can be of some help. to me sounds like either loss of spark or loss of injection. also, i believe the 1991 xj6 is different to the cars in this forum, but same principals (maybe not same locations for the fuel pump) apply

first take a plug wire off and stick a spare plug in. crank the engine and look for spark. if there is none its either the coil or electronic ignition module but ill explain how to test for both once you work out if you have spark.

easiest way to test if injectors are working (this sounds wired but bare with me) is to get a large screw driver and place the blade against the injector and the butt against your ear. you should hear a ticking while the engine is being cranked over (screw driver works like a doctors stethoscope). you will be able to tell if its coming from the injector and not just resonating sound by placing the screw drive against a location close to the injector (but not on the injector) on the manifold. the injector jives off a profound click.

if both are working then we will have a look at the fuel pump ect. you should be able to hear a constant hum from the pump once the ignition is on or if not when the engine is cranking. the pump is located in the boot behind the spare wheel in the void there. it should be easily audible with the boot open.

hope this helps,
regards jay

The following users liked this post:
johnelvislara (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:23 PM

i just spent 1o minutes writing a reply but the internet signal droped out as i submitted it so here we go again lol. second time lucky.

first, i dont have allot of experience with jags but from working with other cars for years it is likely to be one of 2 things. loss of fuel delivery and loss of spark.

to test for spark remove a lead then insert a screw driver into the lead and place it so there is a gap of about 1/2 an inch between the metallic part of the screw driver and the engine block (or head). while cranking the engine the spark should easily jump that gap. if there is no spark its likely the coil is cooked but its also worth looking at distributor (if the 91 model had one) and the electronic ignition module. we will go through that procedure later.

to test for injector operation take a large screw driver and rest the blade against an injector and the butt against your ear. while the engine is cranking you should be able to her a rhythmic 'click' of the injector functioning. if its not obviously the injector you are hearing through the screw driver test the metal around the injector. there should be a very pronounced difference. the injector click should be much louder and fairly steady.

finally have someone listen in the boot and under the back of the car for a fuel pump noise. there should be a weering when the engine is switched to the on position and /or when the engine is cranking over. this is a indication that the pump is working. dont be confused between the electric antenna motor for the radio though.

these are the basic tests for sudden no start. post your results and we can go from there.

also i believe you model series 3 is not the one featured in this forum. but i could be wrong.

best of luck
jay

johnelvislara (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM

alrighty i'll def give both a try and i'll keep ya posted. thanks

Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 PM

looks like is did post the first time after all, must have a slight delay. anyway good luck

Old 05-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Default 1991 Jag. sov. xj6 Fuel Pump Install

Well the mechanic installed my fuel pump alright and now the car keeps stalling!! He is taking no responsibility for it saying "Oh, well it is an aftermarket fuel pump get a real one!" I said " well, I had just installed an aftermarket fuel pump and it worked fine for two years until now and I don't even know if that was the problem or if it was electrical?? Any ideas?

Old 05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have replaced the pump and are still having issues have you checked your fuel filter? Fuel pump is usually the cause for stalling after runnng from cold start. I would find a new mechanic though, a fuel pump is a fuel pump. If he selected the correct pressure pump then it doesn't really matter who made it.

Ann Marino (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

A '91 XJ6 is the XJ40 model, so you will get better responses in the XJ40 forum. This forum shows 1968-1992 because Jaguar kept on making the Series 3 V12 saloon until then. The sixes with the old XK engine finished in 1985.

Ann Marino (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
A '91 XJ6 is the XJ40 model, so you will get better responses in the XJ40 forum. This forum shows 1968-1992 because Jaguar kept on making the Series 3 V12 saloon until then. The sixes with the old XK engine finished in 1985.
Didn't realize you all were a full 2 years ahead of us in the states. Series 3 went through the 87 model year for us 'muricans, XJ40s showed up as 88s here.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

The XJ40 model was on sale in 1986 in the UK. I went round the factory some short time after that, (both body works at Castle Bromwich, and assembly plant at Browns Lane.)

Old 08-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Default 1991 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign Starting problems

Hi my car is having running problems an I can't figure out whats wrong with it I've replaced the fuel pump and filter , the spark plugs the spark plug wires and the distributor cap and rotor can any body give me some opinions to what it might be It turns over and almost starts a couple of times but mainly just back fires the vcm is only telling me I have a secondary system out which is the purge valve. I really need any assistance someone can give me

Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Redwine

You'll get a better response in the XJ40 forum, the one for your car.