Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 XJ6 Ignition Switch/Key Barrel Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 84 XJ6 Ignition Switch/Key Barrel Assembly

Hello,

This is my first post here and I have several questions abotu a problem that recently popped up with my 84 Xj6

Recently, after parking my car in a parking garage, I put it in park and turned the key to kill the engine and remove the keys. After turning it from the On to Accessory position and as I was turning it to the off position, I felt a slight 'snap' or 'pop'. After fully removing my key, my radio continued to play, indicating that the accessory mode was still on and activated despite the key being entirely outside of the barrel.

I re-inserted the key and turned it in an attempt to restart the car. The key now simply turns in the key barrel without activating any changes (turning it all the way to off, does not turn off the accessories, turning it to crank/start the engine does not even attempt to activate ignition). In short, my barrel seems to be totally disconnected from the actual switch.

I have two questions.

1. Is there any way to start and kill the engine with the vehicle in this state? It is not in the best place to attempt any part replacement and I would really like to get it home or to a garage with more space.

more importantly...
2. What part do I need to replace in order to resolve this?
I have done some reading on the forums and looked at parts sites and I am still relatively unsure in a case like this of which parts need replacing.

I have managed to find a parts car with an intact, working ignition switch and matching keys for a good price but I do not want to purchase it unless I am certain that installing this part can resolve my issue.

I have never attempted doing interior work on the steering column or the ignition switch before so I am working in slightly unfamiliar territory.

As the car is not where it should be, any prompt advice would be greatly appreciated from this first-time poster.

Thank you very much.
John Cook
Waco, TX
84 XJ6

Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

There are two separate parts to the ignition switch: the physical lock with key and the electric switch connected to the back/bottom of the lock assembly.

From your description, it seems the lock itself has broken and will need to be replaced. In order to replace the lock assembly, the lower part of the dash and trim around the ignition lock must be removed. The actual electric switch is held to the back of the lock assembly with a grommet, which can be removed and the switch removed from the back of the lock assembly. The lock assembly itself is held in place with 'shear bolts' that must be drilled and removed with a bolt extractor, but if you can remove the electric switch, you may be able to use a screwdriver or some such device to turn the switch and start the car. Bear in mind that this whole assembly is specifically designed to prevent theft, which what you are essentially doing!

I hope this helps!