XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 Vanden Plas Airconditioner Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 85 Vanden Plas Airconditioner Wiring

I have what appears to be a broken connector on my AC compressor. The wiring harness connecting to the compressor includes a wire with a peculiar "half sphere" connector that is suppose to connect to the back of the compressor. However, there seems to be no way to attach this funny connector to the mating connector on the compressor -- they match physically, but there seems to be a part missing that allows them to make contact. This appears to be the signal that activates the compressor clutch, because I no longer have working AC. Is anyone familiar with this connector and how it can be "fixed" or replaced??

Last edited by jpbmass; 07-07-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The superheat switch in the back of the compressor has a single small pin which makes contact with its female counterpart located inside the half-sphere connector

The half-sphere part itself is protective boot which fits over a lip/ridge incorporated in the superheat switch.

If the pin is broken or missing, or the female counter part is broken or missing, or the lip/ridge is broken or missing....the connector won't stay in place. It's all a rather tenuous friction fit

Cheers
DD

Old 07-07-2017, 01:28 PM

Doug, my compressor clutch no longer seems to be engaging. Is this function required to make the AC work? I believe the pin on the compressor is missing -- is this "fixable" without disassembling the AC system?

Last edited by jpbmass; 07-07-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbmass
Doug, my compressor clutch no longer seems to be engaging. Is this function required to make the AC work?
No.

The superheat switch is part of the protection circuit. In essence the switch (and the three prong thermal fuse) will defeat the circuit to disengage an operational compressor. If the wire is left unhooked the compressor clutch can still engage....it's just that the protection circuit will be inoperative.

I believe the pin on the compressor is missing -- is this "fixable" without disassembling the AC system?

The system would need to be discharged to replace the switch....but 'disassembly' of the system is not needed

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
jpbmass (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:22 PM

All is well -- the connector to the front of the compressor had become lose when I was working in there, and AC returned to working order when I re-seated that connection. Thanks so much for your insight.