XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to lump....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 05:20 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
i have a long history of unusual cars , 70yrs worth of very rare cars! (yeah i know shoulda kept them)!

believe me when i got my RHD RUST bucket from UK, guys said aint worth a dollar didnt run engine seized, JUNK it!!

but i fell in love with the V12 engine,that says the whole and complete story! i was /am still infatuated with it , of course 25yrs and around 45K (guessing)

i dont even think about it!
Amazing car and I am glad you didn't listen to the common "wisdom."

Old 04-17-2019, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
. So far nobody has addressed in depth the labor hours, complexity, and costs associated with both lumping and rebuilding.

A valid consideration. But don't think saving money, specifically, is high on the list of concerns with today's lumpers. As for time/effort, well, it's all a labor of love. Ask anyone who undertakes a conversion nowadays and they'll tell you they enjoyed the project.

Decades ago it was very common to do a V8 conversion as an inexpensive alternative to rebuilding the Jag engine.....especially among V12 owners. You could turn a dead Jag into a driving one for a half or quarter of the cost of a rebuild. And, many of those early conversions did nothing to disguise the low-dollar aspect. Many were pretty raunchy....and I'm sure many lumpers here will agree.

Nowadays, though, we see much higher-grade conversions; some of them really magnificent in execution and workmanship. Saving money is no longer the primary motivation in most cases.

For me, the main motivation to an engine conversion is more power. Reliability was not a consideration because, after driving Jags for 22 years, I've found Jag engines to be quite reliable. What I wanted was another 100 hp ......and got there by using the Jag V12. But, that's just me. Not many people take that path and that's part of the appeal....for me. I like the Jag V12.

But, hey, I love V8s, too. I grew up in the musclecar era and owned several. I spend a great deal of time working on old musclecars and Corvettes.....and love every minute of it.

And I love my Jags. I don't begrudge a single dime I've spent over the years. These old Jags never fail to repay in more than equal measure. Every time I slide behind the wheel I find myself thinking "Ahhhhhhhhh. This is the only way to travel"

The important thing is that we're all here because we love Jags.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (04-18-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

@Doug

You know what I would love to see? A V12 powered XK8 or more appropriately XK12. I think it wouldn't be too hard for a guy that knows what he's going considering that only is it an in-house lump but Aston Martin was able to fit their 5.9 into the DB7 sister car. Also a V12 in an x308 body would be interesting.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 941 Posts

one of my dreams would to put a V12 into a XJ220 , i have always felt that it such a shame to lower the Class and sophistication of that car, with an old american relic and remains of Buick aluminum engine,ROVER V8!
(look up 1951 GM Le Sabre specs)! wikipedia best specs.

Last edited by ronbros; 04-18-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Received 343 Likes on 196 Posts

For me, the main motivation to an engine conversion is more power. Reliability was not a consideration because, after driving Jags for 22 years, I've found Jag engines to be quite reliable. What I wanted was another 100 hp ......and got there by using the Jag V12. But, that's just me. Not many people take that path and that's part of the appeal....for me. I like the Jag V12

Doug

I have always been fascinated with the V12. Seems like the OEM ignition systems never worked out. What ignition system did you wind up with and what transmission?

Thanks David

Old 04-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David84XJ6

Doug

I have always been fascinated with the V12. Seems like the OEM ignition systems never worked out. What ignition system did you wind up with

Jaguar has had problems with some of their ignition systems. The 70s vintage OPUS systems weren't all that great and, later, the Marelli systems gave problems.....although by now everyone should know to to prevent them. It's easy and well documented. Later still, the C-O-P systems on the AJ16 6-cylinder are known for coil problems.

The gem, though, is the Jaguar CEI--Constant Energy Ignition--used on ten of thousands of Jag (6 and 12 cylinder) in the 80s. A perfectly satisfactory set-up; as reliable as any other. That's what I have right now. The heart of the system (and most common failure point) is the GM ignition module.

and what transmission?

The TH400 as used by Jaguar. It wouldn't be my first choice but my budget didn't allow for changes in this area. We'll see what the future brings.

Cheers
DD

David84XJ6 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er
@Doug

You know what I would love to see? A V12 powered XK8 or more appropriately XK12. I think it wouldn't be too hard for a guy that knows what he's going considering that only is it an in-house lump but Aston Martin was able to fit their 5.9 into the DB7 sister car. Also a V12 in an x308 body would be interesting.

A V12 holds a certain appeal for many people. Besides Jaguar both BWM and Merecedes have had V12s in select flagship models over the years. And, of course, there's the classic Ferrari, Lambo, and Maserati contingent. And Aston martin....and probably others I've forgotten.

From a purely practical standpoint there's no good reason to use a Jag V12 in anything. It's an elderly design, quirky, not particularly powerful by today's standards. In the right hands in can be very reliable but you gotta learn the tricks.....which is part of the fun for some of us.

If you're gonna go thru the effort of an engine conversion there are more practical choices. As a sentimental favorite, though, it's hard to beat. And, there's great internet support. Virtually all failure modes and fixes are well documented. And the darn things will soldier on forever so long as you look after the cooling system

For me the combination of a V12 and a Series III Jag (the most modern of all antique automobiles) makes for a real sweatheart of a car.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 04-19-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling
ronbros (04-19-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,997 Likes on 5,313 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
...(and most common failure point) is the GM ignition module....DD
This was also been my Main problem keeping Nix going in the beginning; the GM Ignition module!
I'm SO glad to see it's not just me!

I *think* I now have it permanently corrected, however, as I haven't had to call the Yellow Flat Bed for over a YEAR!
(now I've probably jinxed it all!!)
(';')

Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 PM
Received 343 Likes on 196 Posts

"For me the combination of a V12 and a Series III Jag (the most modern of all antique automobiles) makes for a real sweetheart of a car."

Doug, if I were to get bitten!!!! what years of V12 production would be best to look at?

Rgds,
David

Last edited by David84XJ6; 04-18-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: info clarification
Old 04-19-2019, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by David84XJ6
"For me the combination of a V12 and a Series III Jag (the most modern of all antique automobiles) makes for a real sweetheart of a car."

Doug, if I were to get bitten!!!! what years of V12 production would be best to look at?

Rgds,
David

That could be a long discussion and answer

You'll probably want the "HE" version, introduced mid-1981 calendar year.

However, if you want a Series III V12, you can probably find one for sale with a bit of searching.....and save yourself a lot of work.

I was given a Series III V12. A complete, running car. The body and interior were hopeless but the engine was great. Since I had long wanted a Series III V12 it was almost a no-brainer (and fun project!) to convert a 6 cylinder car into a 12 cylinder car. I always felt the XJ6 was a great car.....needing only another 50-100 horsepower to suit my desires.

Personally, I would never consider the project without a donor car on hand. For most of what you'll need an XJS would be a suitable donor and easy to find, as many thousands were built with the V12. But sourcing what you'd need on an ala carte basis is certainly doable

Cheers
DD

David84XJ6 (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I don't think the module issue is exclusive to the GM product.

In my experience, three flopped.

1. decades back in my daughter's Pinto powered Ranger. A curious device. Slow speed mode and higher speed mode. The latter went bonkers and she was a traffic deterent.
I not the cure, At last a tech found the issue and a used unit fixed the Ranger.

2. My 85 F150. Just quit! It went to son's shop on a flat bed. He diagnonsed and replaced it Pal next door, a general repair shop aided.

33. Next up. Daughter's Passat. Mystery misses solved by new coil ack and module combo. .

My LT1 has a version. Up front on the left head. So far, so good.

Exposed to air from the E fans. and flow via the radiator. alloy heat sink and goop.

Carl

Old 04-19-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 343 Posts

(me dos centavos)
The main problem with the GM module is that when replaced, dielectric grease is used, because that is what the parts store sell you.
What has to be used is HEAT SINK Paste(White). Dielectric grease is for waterproofing connections not for creating a heat barrier between the module and the distributor base.
Either way, it is good practice to carry a spare module in your car.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

Sanchez is right but heat sink paste is not a "barrier" to heat but a conductor of heat. High temperature is the enemy of all things electronic. The goal is to get the heat out of the module so the paste helps the heat to be transferred to the metal base. The same stuff is used in your computer to keep the processor cool.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 453 Posts

Picking up the motor this morning... only seen and heard it run via videochat.. guess I wasn't paying much attention to surroundings as I got there and wanted to see/hear it in person, check oil pressure etc, got walked around to a barn and over to an old chevelle, wondered what was going on, they popped good and there was vette motor, converted to obd1 already and stand alone!!!! Guy has a big block ready to go into to make a ss clone..
Happy day for me! Less work and money to spend.. and kicker is whole kit and kaboodle, only cost a grand.. I will of course be disassembling everyth in g and going through it as I have no clue of mileage... guy even threw in some brand new chevy block hugger headers ( probably wont work) the drive shaft and the e fans... pics to follow when I get it home!

The following 4 users liked this post by Darrenmb:
Doug (04-20-2019), LnrB (04-20-2019), pjprofili (04-20-2019), ronbros (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

OK!!!

Great deal!! Off to a great start....

Carl

Old 04-20-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Darren, you'll be having lots of fun.

The journey is as enjoyable as the destination

Cheers
DD

Old 04-20-2019, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

very nice adult beverage!!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,234 Likes on 941 Posts

great find ,, odd how times change, back when building up my XJS V12 car. i'm guessin 1995?

a 1982 XJ sedan showed up for sale in local town , it had a 454 BBC Big block Chevy in it ,ran great and of course a little overpowered!

was for sale for over a year and half, 1-1/2 yrs before it sold for $1500. US bucks, i dont know why but nobody wanted to take it?
ron

Old 04-22-2019, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

I got motor home on Saturday morning and dismally remembered that about 2 years ago after I used.my engine hoist to remove head, I sold it... soooooo. Engine is still in back of my truck... here it is as I got it...

After stripping most of down in bed if truck, i have more info. Its not a vette motor, its an f body, as all accessories are on right side, also its a 94, as the optispark has the small drive.. confusion came from ( i believe) fuel.rail, which is a vette rail. Im still happy... also looks like the stand alone harness was a it of a hack job.... will all be sorted before i even open the hood of the jag.....

Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Looks a bit of a mess, but i now have all harness off, somit looks like an engine now..

Quick Reply: About to lump....