Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adapting a late model jack to early XJ pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Adapting a late model jack to early XJ pins

I now have the late model compact spare tire tool kit... the lug wrench fits the tear drop lug nuts of my wheels perfectly!

But, the jack is designed to work with the newer "square hole" type of lifting points. It does lift the car with the jack under the pins just sitting under the pins... but s to be "trapped" on the pin.

The photos show the jack from the side and the end of the lifting portion.

Found out that just sliding the slanted portion onto the pin all the way to the rear locks it sufficiently to hold the car solid. I jacked
up the RR wheel on concrete floor with no problem... it is easier to use a proper sized socket to do the turning of the end screw than
use the Jaguar tool included... just added a socket and handle to the tool kit as there is enough room and already has spare holes.

Attached Thumbnails Adapting a late model jack to early XJ pins-imag1846.jpg   Adapting a late model jack to early XJ pins-imag1845.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 01-02-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Forgot photos
Old 01-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Jack

FWIW I simply do not trust the factory jack especially if the surface it is sitting on is not quite level.

If there is to be any jacking up of the car I only feel comfortable with a huge garage roll around floor jack -2 ton cap.

I switched over to a GM scissor jack (as found on GM vans) and had it modified to grasp the body pin,...still don't trust either one to the point I feel comfortable..

I now carry that fix a flat stuff and hope that if I have a flat, I might still be able to limp to some place, even on half deflated tires.. Flat tire at side of road - not good . Best thing is common sense I guess .. real fresh tires (no baldies) half tread gone,...discard them.. new tires.... and stay on the main roads - no short cut alley ways.. join some roadside emergency service plan.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

Originally Posted by alynmurray
I now carry that fix a flat stuff and hope that if I have a flat, I might still be able to limp to some place, even on half deflated tires.. [...].. join some roadside emergency service plan.
Husband worked in a garage for a time in his youth, and he will not even allow Flat Tire and the like on the place!

It might keep the tire up so you can get off the railroad crossing or away from the local street gang, some Emergency like that, but it Ruins the inside of the rim.
Tire Repair With FixaFlat Use Caution

If you happen to have rare, unusual or expensive rims it might be more cost effective to have roadside assistance. When Nix came to live with us, husband increased our towing coverage to 200 miles. That should take care of us anywhere we're likely to go.

Sorry again, Roger.

(';')

Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default I have AAA coverage

I do not plan to use the compact spare and the little jack, but, in an
emergency situation... it will help. If it will not jack up properly, I will call for a tire change or tow.

I too do not use the spray in flat tire stuff... too messy and seldom works well.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I do not plan to use the compact spare and the little jack, but, in an
emergency situation... it will help.

Don't use the mini spare on the rear with your LSD....but I reckon you already know that!

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Roger Mabry (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

not having one of each jack to understand the differences, I hesitate to suggest a fix because jacks are safety equipment. On a related theme, some cars have hydraulic stands at the 4 jacking points, similar to Formula cars, you push a button and the car is raised on all 4 sides. MG did it since the 1930s but Jaguar never did.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Default Jacks

Can someone please tell me ,..exactly how does the "Fix a Flat" substance ruin the inside of the rims? What is the nature of the damage? With all of the expensive custom alloy wheels now being used, is it not conceivable that the manufacturer would change the formula to overcome the deficiency ?

I understand the stuff ***** up inside the rims in some cases, ask the guys who work in tire shops, But if it is raining and I am on a busy highway - on the side of the road, with a flat tire, at night...give me a can of that stuff!!-
Its a temporary fix for emergency use - not meant to be left in the tire as a permanent patch. Its simply a fast drying pliable adhesive with a filler added AFAIK

The next day at the tire repair facility, I would replace/repair the tire hoping that the FIX a Flat did not ruin my alloy rim....

What rim damage should I look for? Pits? Cracks? Molten metal? Warped rims?

Nothing is perfect,...but,... do you not cringe as the tow truck's chain / winch is attached to your Jag's undercarriage, (way back there under all of the "expensive to repair/repaint" overhanging sheet metal bodywork) as it gets ready to drag it up the ramp onto the bed of the truck. I will take my chances with the Fix A Flat stuff to overcome the immediate problem and worry tomorrow about my "ruined" rim. (which already might be damaged as a result of the tire deflating while at speed).

Also have an interest in the "4 jack on board system" that is available on some cars? Which cars ? I am interested in just how the system works.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Alyn, the system is like an upside down hydraulic Bottle jack installed at each of the 4 corners. Works with vacuum, sort of the same principle that Chicanos in LA use to raise their cars to impossible angles. How they do it? Not a clue. What cars come with such? MG Saloons up to 1951.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

At one time the on board jacking system was used at Indianapolis.
But, it had the disadvantage of added weight. A racer, "no-no".
And as the cars grew lighter, a simple lever got each end or side up and down, fast...

NASCAR racers use screw jacks to load suspensions for balance.

I saw a You Tube piece using screw jacks an casters to make a heavy CNC end mill more "portable". Clever...

Way back, I did work in a full service garage. Pre tubeless tire days.
"FLATS FIXED' was a lucrative part of the business. The hard way...
No COATS machine. Tire spoons and a big hammer!!! Vulcanized patches on the tubes...

Much, much later, I took a tire to a local place to fix a flat. Good guys. No pressure to replace it!!! But, I was told that they hated the "injected" stuff. A big mess to clean out.

At one time, I had a flat on my Chrysler Cordoba in SF. No road service then. But, I did have a small trolley jack. And, with an X type lug wrench, I managed to change in the spare.

I have a neat little 12v powered compressor in the Jaguar.
It will pump up a tire!!! Slowly, though!!!

If I had a flat on one of the many bridges around here, I'd just keep on going til I got off. Bye, bye tire ands probably a wheel!! But, safe...

Now, road service and my cell are the back ups.

Son and SO gave me a super fast AF surplus Dell unit. I am loading it
with my stuff.

Clouds and a bit warmer. Rain coming in...

Carl

Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Can someone please tell me ,..exactly how does the "Fix a Flat" substance ruin the inside of the rims? What is the nature of the damage? With all of the expensive custom alloy wheels now being used, is it not conceivable that the manufacturer would change the formula to overcome the deficiency ?

I understand the stuff ***** up inside the rims in some cases, ask the guys who work in tire shops, But if it is raining and I am on a busy highway - on the side of the road, with a flat tire, at night...give me a can of that stuff!!-
Its a temporary fix for emergency use - not meant to be left in the tire as a permanent patch. Its simply a fast drying pliable adhesive with a filler added AFAIK

The next day at the tire repair facility, I would replace/repair the tire hoping that the FIX a Flat did not ruin my alloy rim....

What rim damage should I look for? Pits? Cracks? Molten metal? Warped rims?

Nothing is perfect,...but,... do you not cringe as the tow truck's chain / winch is attached to your Jag's undercarriage, (way back there under all of the "expensive to repair/repaint" overhanging sheet metal bodywork) as it gets ready to drag it up the ramp onto the bed of the truck. I will take my chances with the Fix A Flat stuff to overcome the immediate problem and worry tomorrow about my "ruined" rim. (which already might be damaged as a result of the tire deflating while at speed).

Also have an interest in the "4 jack on board system" that is available on some cars? Which cars ? I am interested in just how the system works.
Alyn, did you look at the link I posted? Pictures 4 & 5 are especially revealing.
Here it is again:
Tire Repair With FixaFlat Use Caution
Of course everyone can make their own decisions, but this is a place to share knowledge and information with others.
(';')

Old 01-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Sorta like my idea. In a super pinch, losing a wheel or else, OK.

O'wise, no

I've a vague recollection of a "fix" for bike flats. A thick sugary goop. .

Nothing is better than a proper patch or replacement.

The first tires and wheels on MY T at age 16 were wood spokes and 30 x 3 1/2 tires and tubes. Two were relatively new in 1946. Very prone to "blow outs". Usually the tube blew in a star shaped hole and the tire survived!!

With prior bicycle experience, I used a double patch technique using a cold patch kit.

Cut out a chunk of rubber, apply glue and work it inside the tube.
Smooth it out. Repeat on the outside. Tubes hard to find and cost $'s.
Not present in teen budget. But, patch kits available and within the
.25 I earned at the local Drug Store Soda Fountain!!!

Carl

Old 01-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Tires have gotten so much better. But, nowadays, it is age that does them in....

Carl

Old 01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Doug

I assume your warning is because the OD size "differences" of the two wheels are "too large" and would cause immediate and unwanted wear of the LSD clutches? I had already decided to use the compact tool kit and my full original sized spare... best of the two worlds. But, I have to have/carry two lug wrenches and five (5) spare lug nuts of the original type to make this all work. There is enough room for all of this to create the "best" solution to my problem and with the least expense.

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 01-03-2016 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Left out meaniful word - "differences"
Old 01-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Tis the difference on OD that challenges the LSD !!!

Missed a couple of words?

I am not sure that an open diff is too happy with different wheel OD's a for any length of distance s???

If there is room for a real tire and wheel, why not?

Carl

Carl

Old 01-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Default Fix a flat

Yes ELNR I saw it , but do not believe it. You simply can not sustain that kind of damage from using the stuff for a few hours until the tire v=can be properly repaired. DO you think the tire shops are going to be non biases ?? The use of this stuff ca=ost them business so of course they are not going to endorse it, but they understandably will bad mouth it.

I did not think much of the one sided viewpoint .

LnrB (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Doug

I assume your warning is because the OD of the two wheels are "too large" and would cause immediate and unwanted wear of the LSD clutches?

Yes, that's what I was thinking

Cheers
DD

Roger Mabry (01-03-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, there is room for a stock sized tire and wheel.. I plan to use that method after all the thinking on the compact spare tire. I have one right now and can save the money for the cost of the new compact spare and use it for something else. Just have to have two lugs wrenches due to the different sized lug nuts now and carry (5) five spare lugs nuts to fit the original size.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

... and carry (5) five spare lugs nuts to fit the original size.
Boy Howdy does that sound familiar!

But I only need one lug wrench (deep socket, 2" extension, 18" break-over bar) as the problem is with bolt length and not head size.
(';')