XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adventures in SMOG land aka CA!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Default Adventures in SMOG land aka CA!!

Well, I overcame the procrastination this morning. Once my chores were done, off to the place I usually go to.

Waited a bit, til a very young guy called me out. yeah, to me they are all young, but this one even more so!!!

He told me my far flunked the smoke test. Not clear on his "explanation".
but, something to the effect of revving the engine three times, if the pipes smoke, it will fail.... I could not get an answer as to whether that meant, blue smoke, black smoke or white??? He suggested I go to a referee??? Why,
More lenient, I think not. More like the opposite. Oh, well no charge. I thanked him and left.

SOG, now what? Idea!!! I went to the place formerly occupied by this place. a lot less "fancy". Three young techs and not a lot of business!!!
Thor sign was outdated, according to them. They were "Star Certified".

All there admired the car, and that I made the install of the LT!. Messed with it a bit and gave me the "two thumbs up" sign. $58.60 "out the door".

Bye, bye "fancy" place, hello, "less fancy" for the Jeep. it is due up early next year.

Side bar: I got on the freeway for about ten miles. Moving right along at
1800 RPM. Came back on a frontage road for the most part. Dropped to "2' for more RPM's. The cats were nice and hot for the test.....

Yahoo, won one....

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Doug (10-10-2015)
Old 10-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Congratulations, Carl!!
Good Onya!
"Smoke test." The very idea!
(';')

Old 10-10-2015, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I'm a bit surprised that we have evaded this so far. We had to do our cars every three years when we lived in Europe, as we had standard cars there it wasnt an issue.

I cringed when I saw all the publicity around the VW fiasco, which highlighted the level of controls and measurement elsewhere (setting aside they were ineffective).

Old 10-10-2015, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Well, I overcame the procrastination this morning. Once my chores were done, off to the place I usually go to.

Waited a bit, til a very young guy called me out. yeah, to me they are all young, but this one even more so!!!

He told me my far flunked the smoke test. Not clear on his "explanation".
but, something to the effect of revving the engine three times, if the pipes smoke, it will fail.... I could not get an answer as to whether that meant, blue smoke, black smoke or white??? He suggested I go to a referee??? Why,
More lenient, I think not. More like the opposite. Oh, well no charge. I thanked him and left.

SOG, now what? Idea!!! I went to the place formerly occupied by this place. a lot less "fancy". Three young techs and not a lot of business!!!
Thor sign was outdated, according to them. They were "Star Certified".

All there admired the car, and that I made the install of the LT!. Messed with it a bit and gave me the "two thumbs up" sign. $58.60 "out the door".

Bye, bye "fancy" place, hello, "less fancy" for the Jeep. it is due up early next year.

Side bar: I got on the freeway for about ten miles. Moving right along at
1800 RPM. Came back on a frontage road for the most part. Dropped to "2' for more RPM's. The cats were nice and hot for the test.....

Yahoo, won one....

Carl
Good one Carl, pays to shop around!

Old 10-22-2015, 06:52 PM
Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting to hear about your SMOG woes..

Last year i took my Series 3 down for it's smog and the first comment from the guy was "Have not seen one of these in a while", i didn't think this would go very well

I always stay with the car if i can and thank goodness i did, he had no idea where to find the carbon canister so i directed him to the wheel well, we talked about #1 cylinder being at the back of the engine and not the front and when he hooked up a timing light he could not see the marks on the crank and after 10 minutes of struggling on that he said to hell with it and gave me a thumbs up and sent me on my way....

Not many of these stations out there that have any experience with the older cars anymore, especially those with some "real" engineering behind them....