XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice! What size tires are those? Are you putting the stock bumper trim back on?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

265/40/18

OEM SIII bumpers are ugly, so I doubt they'll go back on.

The rear looks awesome without a bumper, but the front looks wonky.

We are going to play pin the bumper on the jaguar. (trying to mix & match various series & Euro/USDM trim packages.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:00 PM

We'll go with more appropriate tires, when we know what kind of power this engine/ turbo can deliver.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised their isn't a off the shelf supercharger kit for these cars

Old 01-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Anfield Dreaming
I'm surprised their isn't a off the shelf supercharger kit for these cars
There is discussion of doing various forms of induction, so a supercharger isn't out of the question.

We're starting out with the turbo, because turbos are awesome & require less fabrication at this time.

I'm also looking for some cheap throttle bodies, that would be appropriate for the 4.2L

I wanted to punch it out to a 5.0L, if there was an engine failure (which is eminent in drifting) but there isn't a lot of material between the cylinders to do so.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Nice Jag, Nice tall garage too. I appreciate someone doing something different and drifting a jag is kind of cool. The XJ chassis was raced so why not race it again in a contemporary way. I'm just not sure the XK 4.2 is going to live with a turbo. Head gasket failures and valve guide issue are going to be exacerbated by force feeding.

Gotta give it up for the young guns around here braking new ground. You turbo'ing and XK and Calvindoesntknow is building a 500HP V12. Let's hear it for the boys.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AristoCat
I wanted to punch it out to a 5.0L, if there was an engine failure (which is eminent in drifting) but there isn't a lot of material between the cylinders to do so.

There is no punching out to 5.0. Its already got a long stroke to bore ratio. If you want that engine to live you probably will need an xk 3.8 which has more material for head gasket sealing.

Why not bolt in SBC or LS motor....they are plentiful, they fit and they are tunable for drifting. Any LS or SBC also weight way less than the XK. In the long run it will be more successful and less expensive.

Perhaps a AJ6 form an XJR should be able to see 400HP with a turbo and live. The compression is alredy lower to begin with.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:44 AM

The LS motor is a good motor, but they aren't really all they're cracked up to be (for drifting) unless they're dry sump'd (push rod & high RPM = trashed motor)

I wanted to experiment with the Jag & push an old chassis & engine into the public opinion.

We'll never know the engines potential, unless someone is willing to push the envelope.

Following in the footsteps of others isn't really my or my friend's style.

The car came with this motor, let's beat it to death & then perform a tear down & see what failed.

If its an easy fix, we'll fix it (build it stronger) then move onto the next weak point.

It's all for fun anyways.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

The LS motor is a good motor, but they aren't really all they're cracked up to be (for drifting) unless they're dry sump'd (push rod & high RPM = trashed motor)

What? Don't LS motors dominate drifting?
Push rod motors routinely run in the 8000 to 9500 RPM range. Nascar does this routinely. In 1992 a Buick push rod motor set a track record of 232MPH at indy. Penske (Mercedes Benz powered Iimor D) won Indy in 1994 with a push rod motor that spun past 10,000 RPM. Cars with that engine finshed 1 2 3. Push rod engines dominated were banned in 1995. You can open a mail order catalogue and order stuff to make an LS rev clean to 7000 RPM easily and affordably. The XK has no high RPM potential.

Where are you getting these false ideas? Even the Japanese teams switched to LS motors.
LS Engines Take Over Professional Drifting - LSXTV

I wanted to experiment with the Jag & push an old chassis & engine into the public opinion.

We'll never know the engines potential, unless someone is willing to push the envelope.

We know. Jag did all the experimenting on the public. The stock XK with its low reving design can barely stay together with out pressure. Cracked blocks, cracked heads, loose valve guides are all common failures.

Following in the footsteps of others isn't really my or my friend's style.

The car came with this motor, let's beat it to death & then perform a tear down & see what failed.

If its an easy fix, we'll fix it (build it stronger) then move onto the next weak point.

It's all for fun anyways.

Well as log as you're having fun then carry on chap.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-25-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Those LS's are pro built & are a far cry from a standard LS.

most run dry sumps & are cared for by a mechanic team.

It's all good, but Diago Saito smashed all those cars with an inline six, single turbo.

Actually, I did work in Diago's car last year, before FormulaD. Seattle (just fixed his hydro & swapped some push lock fittings, for swedged fittings/lines.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:27 PM

P.S.

Turbo & manifold are fixtured into the engine bay, for preliminary mock up.

Still need to figure the wastegate plumbing.

Now I'm modding the front for piping & putting in some black paint into the interior.

Last edited by AristoCat; 01-26-2014 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling…
Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Interesting stuff - didn't know the LS engine was so prevalent in the drift world. I thought it was just us old guys. And I guess the young guys that buy GM cars. And Mustang owners. And Jaguar owners... wait, I already said us old guys.

I really do like the LS platform. Dollar for dollar I think they're really tough to beat, especially if you want to retain good driveability. But if you have the cash, some of the turbo inline four and six engines are a marvel in themselves.

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Even the Japanese teams switched to LS motors.
LS Engines Take Over Professional Drifting - LSXTV

Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag011.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag012.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag013.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag014.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-driftjag015.jpg  

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impressive

Old 01-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Odd:

I found the wires from cabin back to be decent. Under the scuttle, not bad either. It was in the engine bay that some were just heat cooked. Those in the vicinity of the DOHC. Others reasonably decent.

The DOHC exhaust header/manifold is decent. I doubt that tube headers are going to get much of a gain. The intake has to be better.

But, as the stroke limits high rev sustainability, I wonder where breathing improvements will take this engine.

But, a turbo properly sized will liven it up.

As previously stated by more experienced guys than I with this engine. Tht means almost everybody here!!!

TORQUE will get the life one seeks.

Just me. The engines in my cars are bone stock. But each is factory engineered for torque. It works.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 PM

This engine will make all it's power/ torque down low, we know that already.

We're going to limit it probably to 4750 RPM - 5000 RPM

I'm thinking we're going to be running into oiling issues & Cam short comings.

The hot side on this turbo is so damn big, that were currently on the lookout for an alternative sized solution.

We aren't going to tear into the engine until something fails, luckily thr rebuild components for this engine are stupid cheap ($60.00 USD for rings & gaskets)

The engines are also thought of as being weak, so they are commonly discarded for LS/ other engines, so you find the for free/cheap often.

Just gotta figure it out for ourselves.

On the plus side, I'll document these issues as they arise & post them up here, for everybody to learn from.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Promethieus; what do you think of this stuff? for 2010 GTR, the factory exh. manfolds wouldnt take a bigger turbo so they came up with this setup. workmanship is impeccable!
car made 850whp ,after a day of tuning!

yes nothing was stock, money no object!!

and the kid doing the work is 21yrs old, and a good friend!

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-elitemtrspts-010.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-elitemtrspts-011.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros
Promethieus; what do you think of this stuff? for 2010 GTR, the factory exh. manfolds wouldnt take a bigger turbo so they came up with this setup. workmanship is impeccable!
car made 850whp ,after a day of tuning!

yes nothing was stock, money no object!!

and the kid doing the work is 21yrs old, and a good friend!
That work is awesome.

I'd shake his hand, if I ever met him.

It's always great to see what others are doing, so you can learn & adapt to what you're doing.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

i agree that turbo is out of proportion hot side vs cold side,

turbine is way to big(take a 1/2 hr to spin up,&make boost), and compressor is to small for much flow down low for the torque you hope for!

nice manifold tho, should do the job you are looking for(some are gonna say it aint equal lenth runners) dont worry it will be good enough!
iv done around 30 turbo engines in the last 30yrs, and tried all kinds of stuff(some better than others).

used to be that an old truck turbo was good enough, not so today, cost has gone up 5 times what was usable back then(and so hasnt HP).

im not going to comment on the XK engine, i never had much luck with them.
by now you are learning more about that design, strength and weaknesses.

anyhoo, good luck

Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

prome; quick pic of a 2JZ twin turbd, about 1/2hr after i took the pix, car went a 6.9 at 207 mph, 1/4 mile, dallas TX.

YES he won his class + some other records,(darn supra s).

google 1320video.com and texas streets, some of the bad boys around texas

Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-dallas-race-2007-003.jpg   Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis-dallas-race-2007-002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Aftermarket presence & support for the series 1,2 & 3 XJ chassis