XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Back up lights

I’m installing a new LCD touchscreen head unit into the jag and am trying to install backup camera. I don’t have a schematic of that circuit. It looks like there’s a Brown over green wire and a black wire on the lights which I’ve found the plug in the passenger side of boot. When I put the car in reverse and checked these two wires I never saw them switch on and off. Seems the brown/green wire is always hot with ignition on.

btw, during this process it came to my attention that both bulbs are bad (measured with ohm meter open).

Shouldnt I be able to see voltage switch on/off on brown/green wire or black wire?

Is this switch on the left side of shifter?

Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

For the reverse lights 12v "+" comes on green with brown tracer

The switch is on the gearshift on early cars. Later cars, on the LH side of the transmission. I've never known the change point. Maybe 1982-ish?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2018, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

On my 83 it was on the left side of the BW66. Served a dual purpose as I recall. N/S interrupt.

Both functions gone when I converted the car. A shift tower formerly residing in an XJS car solved those. Micro switch for the interrupt, and the green back up switch on the tower. Mine has gone nuts. so, for now, no bulbs, so as not to confuse folks. I've deferred opening the
console to fix them pending warmer weather.

Carl

Old 04-14-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,827 Posts

if it is a 1984, the reverse lights switch is a 2-function Roller Switch located on the right front side of the shifter. Is that what you are asking about? This roller switch also activates the Cruise Control.

However, there are unused in US cars extra power wires behind the rear passenger side tail lamp assembly. The wires are color Blue and Red striped. They are taped with electrical tape.

The wires are / were for the European-market rear bumper Fog lamps. But power to them is activated through the headlights switch in the Fog position of the switch.

Also in front of the windshield water bottle, stuck between a piece of foam and the side of the radiator, there are two Red with yellow stripe wires which are unused in US cars, I think they were for the headlight wipers. They are taped with electrical tape too.

Last edited by Jose; 04-14-2018 at 04:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Nanonevol (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM

Sorry Jose, I really need to change my login name. My car is a late '73 model XJ6. There is a switch on the front left side of the shifter with a green with brown tracer wire on it.

Seems as though the switch is out of adjustment or defective. After replacing the reverse indicator bulbs I discovered that the bulbs illuminate both in park and in reverse( I used L.E.D.'s).

The back up camera is another story. Even with the bulbs in or out it comes on at different times and not consistently, but will briefly come on if I hold the shifter in between park and reverse.

Anybody know if these switches are repairable/adjustable? If not, are these available anywhere or can they be retro-fitted.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

I have a vague idea. The camera and R bulbs demand more volts than can pass the wires and switch.

Wire in a relay so that the switch on the shift colum functions as a trigger. Then find a brown "always hot" wire for the load legs.

Intriguing idea. A back up camera.

The R lamps on in P or R might be a Jaguar "oddity". Harmless or even neat. I'd not concern myself with it.

Carl

Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM

ThanksCarl,

Therelay idea is definitely worth a shot.

Thisall started with a stereo upgrade. I got a single DIN video flip-out pioneerwith back-up camera input.

SinceI have very dark tinted windows and the XJ's rear visibility is not greatanyways, I know this would be a big upgrade.

I've got the new component speakers and sub installed, the head unit is all hooked up, and now Im putting the final touches on the center console mount. This arrangement lets me keep the old stereo in dash for looks and stealthy-ness. No parts were harmed and it can all go back as stock except the hole behind the rear seat armrest.

Oh and I made the old stereo volume knob my new subwoofer gain adjust control.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM

For some reason the pictures didn't attach?

Attached Thumbnails Back up lights-img_0666.jpg   Back up lights-img_0671.jpg   Back up lights-img_0674.jpg   Back up lights-img_0676.jpg   Back up lights-img_0680.jpg  

Back up lights-img_0682.jpg   Back up lights-img_0683.jpg  

Last edited by INDYJAG-84; 04-16-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts
Default Wow - way cool

I love it. Not for everyone but looks like you are getting it sorted. Can you give us some more details? Is the backup camera wireless or did you have to pull a video cable all the way back there? One photo looked like roller slides - does the cubby lid slide back or hinge up? With the screen folded up and the lid closed does it look like a stock console armrest? If you or someone you know can post video to YouTube a demonstration would be great. I assume the unit can do GPS navigation too? I prop my Garmin nuvi on the little sunglasses shelf above the radio and every time I accelerate too fast going up hill the Garmin goes flying off.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Is the backup camera wireless or did you have to pull a video cable all the way back there?

Since I already had multiple wires going from Head unit to amp to crossovers anyways, I just got a hard wired unit. But they sell Bluetooth camera's.

One photo looked like roller slides - does the cubby lid slide back or hinge up?

I'm making it to slide. I have two six inch slides. I am still working on installation of console lid to get so it looks right. It will require a bit of custom woodworking on my part. There will most likely be about a half inch riser on which the lid rests. Plus in order to get the depth in the console I am raising the rear mounting a few inches in height which will be un-noticeable.

With the screen folded up and the lid closed does it look like a stock console armrest?

That was my goal at least to the untrained eye or thief.

I could have installed it in the dash, but that way also posed several problems and like I said I wanted to try and keep it stealthy. If installed in dash I would probably have fabricated a facia out of wood in order to keep from butchering the original. I would also have to remove convenience tray, but that would make it easier to put in new A/C vents in its place. My problem was finding the room for the ductwork.

Last edited by INDYJAG-84; 04-16-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:13 PM

I will eventually (once I make my riser) incorporate a micro-switch into console lid, so that when I slide back the armrest it will automatically open the display unit.

I will post more pictures once completed.

BTW; Pioneer does not recommend installing the unit beyond 30 degrees angle past horizontal (I'm around 80). Im not sure if the DVD/CD player will work well like this. That's not the reason they give though. Their reason is more to do with the display (however its fully adjustable so).

I will mainly use it in Apple CARPLAY mode or Blutooth anyway.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYJAG-84
Sorry Jose, I really need to change my login name. My car is a late '73 model XJ6. There is a switch on the front left side of the shifter with a green with brown tracer wire on it.
Seems as though the switch is out of adjustment or defective. After replacing the reverse indicator bulbs I discovered that the bulbs illuminate both in park and in reverse( I used L.E.D.'s).
Anybody know if these switches are repairable/adjustable? If not, are these available anywhere or can they be retro-fitted.
you have a Series 2, the pictures below show what you have

Attached Thumbnails Back up lights-01-s2-reverse-switch.jpg   Back up lights-02-s2-reverse-switch.jpg   Back up lights-03-s2-roller-switch.jpg   Back up lights-04-s2-shifter-assembly.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Jose,

thanks for the pics, but I got you again.😉 It’s a late model 73, series 1. I think you were fooled by the boot lid trim. Evidently some series 1’s received series 2 trunk trim. My reverse N/S switch is on the front left side.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYJAG-84

The back up camera is another story. Even with the bulbs in or out it comes on at different times and not consistently, but will briefly come on if I hold the shifter in between park and reverse.

The Reverse switch on the shifter is Not adjustable without heroic effort.

My car, also Chevy powered with a Chevy transmission, reverse lights came on when I got it, just not in reverse. How handy is that! Also, the car started Just Fine in Reverse! That was exciting I tell ya!

This is because it's a Chevy transmission with a Jag shifter.

To address both problems I installed a momentary switch in the near ashtray, and 72 element LEDs in the reverse sockets (think Landing Lights in the back). It's not automatic, but what was there now was quite useless.

The 2 green wires on the switch are plenty long enough to reach the ashtray. As you're only closing a circus it won't matter which one is where on your switch.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 04-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:10 AM

I appreciate the input. I’m traveling the rest of the week, but hope to get back to it shortly.

Without further troubleshooting it looks like Carl’s idea of using a relay might work, however the camera will come on imeadiately while in park or reverse, but I may be able to live with that.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Relay in ashtray:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3/#post1213809
Should be able to power your camera too.
Comes on Only when desired.
(';')

Old 04-17-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Well, my back up lights are dark now, no matter where the shifter is!
Something must have gone bonkers with the switch on the switch tower.
I had a spare. Alas, it went with the original tower to a lister, that needed one. So, as having the lamps on bothered some, I removed the bulbs!!

As far as illuminating a path to assist in backing? Not much help !
Best functi9on is advisory to others, I'm going to back up!!!

Fix when warmer? Possibly. So many other projects/tasks await warmth!!!

The camera thing is appealing. My arthritic neck impeded rear vision!!!!

I rely on my mirrors, a lot.
Carl

Old 04-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 617 Likes on 319 Posts
Default LED updates

One of the things I like about my 07 Vanden Plas is the side marker light that works with the turn signal. People can see my intentions from the side not just the front or back. So I am converting my S3 big American side marker lights to work with the turn signals instead of the lights. First step is to replace the tiny "flashlight bulbs" in the fixture with longer and brighter LEDs. I bought from ledlight.com part number 26489W and I love them. See the photo below of the bulbs and the new brightness of the rear marker light. BTW, I never drive this car at night so this may not be for everyone.

While I am on the subject, I bought two T10 wedge LED bulbs (part# 45687W) for the dashboard turn signal indicator lights in the tach and speedometer housings. Took about 3 minutes flat to replace them and they are much brighter than the originals.

not sure the photos are uploading correctly but here goes.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:17 PM

Lots of options Carl,

https://www.pyleusa.com/rearview-backup-parking-assist-camera-display-monitor-system-kit-waterproof-license-plate-mount-night-vision-cam-angle-adjustable-auto-reverse-activation-distance-scale-lines-4-3-screen.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuaDTlefB2gIVgsDICh1v 6g8xEAQYCSABEgLrufD_BwE

Old 04-17-2018, 04:29 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Yellow series3

Have to tried reducing the size of the images before you upload them ?
600 x 400 px seems to work well for me.

Quick Reply: Back up lights