XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet latch not holding

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Unhappy Bonnet latch not holding

Hi, The RH bonnet latch does not hold shut consistently. It will pop up randomly while driving. The bonnet does stay latched down, just the RH side catch releases. Both sides look the same in terms of adjustment, and the pins all line up, as does the circular retaining latch in the hold-down assembly. Both sides release easily on command.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

if the pins are alright, then the problem must be the pin catch adjustment, the catch near the battery. Make sure the two bolts are tight, that the cable is not loose.

Last edited by Jose; 09-26-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Two suggestions

- check the pin length to get even tension on both sides, wind the RH one it/out to match

- slightly oversize pins are available , sometimes they just wear and round off

can be a frustrating issue to get right

Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Mine used to release most often when cornering, even gently. Very slight chassis twisting is all it took. Many adjustments, re-adjustments and yet more re-adjustments wouldn't cure it. Then I fitted an oversize pin - Voila!

Old 09-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Three points.

1. Those wing braces must be really tight. To stiffen the opening. A whisper of a twist can release a latch. The one on the fire wall that takes a contortionist to hold the nut and apply lots of torque at the same time!!! The nut is a Nylok and may have lost it's bite. Try a new one.
Easier are the ones at the wings. Use the 1/2 tools, the 3/8's noty wuite up to it.

2. Have a good look at the pins. There is a slot on the point. That is where the sliding part of the latch engages. Dirty, worn or both. I cleaned mine and tried to touch them up with a thin file. OK on the former, no so much on the latter.

3. A good dab of grease on the sliders. That did the best. Still imperfect, but a whole lot less popping open.

4. Past efforts on adjusting the pins to decrease or increase the spring pressure did little.

Carl