XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car will not start, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will not start, need help.

I am new to Jaguars and have a couple questions. Yesterday my 1984 XJ6 would not start. It turns over but will not fire. If I spray a little starting fluid in it fires up for just a bit and then dies. I am assuming it is a fuel delivery problem. My questions for you Jag pros:
1. Where is the fuel pump?
2. Should I hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key to the on position like I do in other cars?
3. How is the best way to test the pump?
4. What is this item in the picture? Is it a fuel valve that could be the problem?

Thanks for any help and yes it does have plenty of gas in the tanks

Attached Thumbnails Car will not start, need help.-s6110001.jpg  
Old 01-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Fuel pump is in the trunk under the spare, the relay for it is on the firewall next to a red one, if you look in the stickies at top of forum.page they explain how to diagnose this..

Good luck.

Oh the thing in the picture looks like fuel pressure regulator, but im on phone and pic wont get very big.

Last edited by Darrenmb; 01-12-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by lamont74

2. Should I hear the fuel pump running when I turn the key to the on position like I do in other cars?

No

3. How is the best way to test the pump?

Put the gearshift in "R" or "D". Turn the key all the way to 'START' . You should hear the pump run. If you're hearing isn't all that great have a helper turn the key while you open the trunk and listen from there.

4. What is this item in the picture? Is it a fuel valve that could be the problem?

Fuel pressure regulator and, yes, it could be the problem....but so can many other things. First make sure the pump works then make sure the injectors are being triggered....you should hear them clicking while you crank (or use a 'noid light' to check the circuit)

Cheers
DD

Old 01-12-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

if you put the shifter in D or R like Doug says, (I put mine in 1st Gear), then you turn the ignition switch to the maximum "START" and hold it there for 3 seconds, you will hear the pump "charging" the fuel system.

Let go of the switch and do it again, and then do it a third time, THEN put the shifter in P or N and try to start the engine.

if no start, zero nada, do you have gasoline in the tanks?

Old 01-13-2017, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Another check:

go to the front passenger side, find the black box located under the bottom corner of the dash called the Inertia Fuel Cutoff (IFC). It is mounted above the kick panel, it has a grey plug with wires connected at the bottom. On the top, there is a black Reset Spring Button. Press the springy button to make sure the IFC has not "tripped". If you hear or feel a "click" when you press the button, it was tripped, if the button just springs back, it is fine.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. I am enjoying learning about Jaguars. I only had a few minutes to work on it last night but I put it in R and turned key and can hear the fuel pump running. So next I will pull the line and see if any gas is coming out. The car did sit a bit before I got it so I am starting to think something might be gummed/clogged up.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Bad ears, that is me!!!! Down to my third back up aid. Gotta send off 1, and 2 for fixing. Or, it is going to be awful quiet around here.

Yeah, if it has been sitting and your test finds fuel at the rail, my guess would be clogged injectors. Might have to pull them and clean them or send them off for service. Google Jaguar Fuel Injection Service. S. D. Faircloth, proprietor. Good guy
and Jag fixer. FLA location

Carl

Old 01-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

How long did the car stand ? You should have fuel wetted plugs by now; have you ? Other thing is that the fuel injection control relies on a pulse from the coil to fire the injectors. No pulse - no start. There is a wire going off from the coil into the harness on the engine but I forget the colours.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by lamont74
The car did sit a bit before I got it so I am starting to think something might be gummed/clogged up.

Pull the fuel filter and empty the contents into a clean clear jar. What you see might be revealing and dictate your course of action

Cheers
DD

Old 01-15-2017, 09:36 AM

The Jaq is running! I pulled the fuel line at the fuel rail and placed it in a clear bottle and cycled the fuel pump and I was only getting a trickle of dirty, nasty fuel. So I cleaned the tank and flushed the lines, installed a new filter and it's fixed. Thanks so much for the help!

Old 01-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

KUDOS. A perfect result. Stay on with us for more adventures !!!

Carl

Old 01-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Help Please....went to start my XJ6 1994 this morning and the engine is turning over but the sound is different than normal, it sounds like a hum, hard to explain, is it the starter?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by jkm210
Help Please....went to start my XJ6 1994 this morning and the engine is turning over but the sound is different than normal, it sounds like a hum, hard to explain, is it the starter?
You need to post this in the XJ40 forum. This forum is for the XJ saloons from 1968-1986, and the V12-engined cars up to 1992. Your car is completely different, the engine whilst still a six is an aluminium DOHC engine, the AJ6