woo hoo!!!!

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts
Default Thanks, Guys!

Doug:
Thank you very much. I had NO idea it would be this long when I jacked her up last November.

Jim:
Thank you. Yes, she is BLACK! The shop kooties and fingerprints don't even show in these pictures! Did you not look at the Nix album when you looked at my profile? There are 11 or 12 other pictures of her there.

Clarke:
Thank you. She looks better than I remember too! LOL She's been covered with various drapes for so long I'd almost forgotten those sensuous lines! This morning I was surprised how small she really is now that she's not jacked up 18 inches. I can reach half way across the roof to clean now.

I'll have to go into Rolling Stock and finished it off. I did sort of leave everything hanging there.

amaezing:
I couldn't agree more!!

I was going to make an appointment with DMV today, but I was reminded by the Federal Worker in the house that it's a holiday. Bummer. I knew that too.
(';')

Old 09-07-2015, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Im not particularly fond of black cars but. That doesnt look too bad!
Would look sooooo much better green! Lol

Oh yeah and good job
Hope you are out and about in it soon

LnrB (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ten long months! Wow, I thought my car's period on "dead line" was long!!

Low, oh yes. I note that every time I park some where. Lowest in the lot.
Yup, I've polished and waxed my way across most of the dorsal left. No need for my short ladder that I need for my Jeep. And, as SUV's go, it isn't tall.

You can wait one more day.... Sorta, huh???

I do like black cars. But, they are the very devil to keep clean nd when not so, the look like .....

Hmm it's been a long spell since I had a black car!!!

Can you sneak out for a trip around the block? I'd be sorely tempted.....

Enjoy...

Carl

LnrB (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Darren:
LOL @ "would look better green."
Thank you, and thank you for following this epic journey.

Carl:

It shouldn't have taken this long but things kept happening that I had no control over.

As I was cleaning her this morning, it occurs to me she's downright Petite! It makes me laugh that at the time the Xj6 was billed as "A Full Sized Luxury Saloon!" Not even mid size now, almost compact the way cars are growing.

It's true it's a lot of work to keep a black car clean but I Luv black cars! My first car was sort of dusty rose when my Daddy bought it and I hated it. For my birthday he had it painted Black and I drove the wheel off!

When I went to college I needed a project car and found an Ancient Chrysler in the back row of the local Dodge dealer, it had been top of the line in its day. I got it for less than $100; engine burned oil like a tramp steamer, trans was out (no forward movement except in 1), the brakes were less than wonderful and it was white.

After a quarter of Engines, a quarter of Transmissions, a quarter of Brakes and Chassis, I took a quarter of Body & Paint and made it BLACK! Then I drove the wheel off!

If Nix had been any other color, I probably wouldn't have fallen quite so in love with her at first sight. But that's life for ya!

I too am Sorely tempted to "take it around the block just once," but we have Really Big blocks out here, and there happens to be a cop living just around the corner as I go out the driveway. I might get away with it, but he might be home for lunch and see me, and out of curiosity, come to have a look while I'm right out there on the public road with an expired plate. I don't think I want to chance it.
(';')

Old 09-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Lnr I did look at your profile pics of nix but somehow don't recall that deep black....oh well probably a bit of my 64 years coming out!

Old 09-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Elinor, congratulations on your epic achievement! Enjoy her to the max and let us see a pic of her on the road (when legal of course).

Cheers,

Old 09-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Jim:
It's OK, maybe the blue sky that day made it not look so black.

Tony:
Thank you, it even feels like an epic achievement! In fact, so epic that I hope not to have to do anything like it again for a Very Long Time!
(';')

Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Let's go back in time. I'm now a sophomore at TWC. Freezing my ... off going across scenic drive in winter to class in my topless T done with. College chicks demand more comfort. Budget stretched for 31 Studebaker four door. Black. No heater or radio.
But, enclosed and no need to hand crank every AM!!! Painted the wire wheels red.
Better.

Then after a bit, slick little black 35 Chevrolet standard with red wires. Ok, sold Stude, bought Chevvy. Oh, the Hot rod in me lurks. off with the hood and front fender's.Paint detail in black grey and red for the little OHV six. Amateur cartoonist. slick artist admired it. Messed with the exhaust and got it to sound like a "hot rod". Even if it really wasn't. Topped at 70. Blew out a set of rods!!!!

Get a Ford. I did. Alas, not black, just battleship grey. But, 1st car with heater and radio!!!!

Carl

LnrB (09-08-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

I am now in possession of a FREE moving permit, And, an appointment for Emissions check in 2-1/2 hours!
After that I'll sit in DMV until they give me a proper tag. Since it's Friday I may have to sit a while, but they can't close the office until they deal with me.

Next post could be the one!
Someone said earlier it could be Friday, merely didn't say Which Friday! LOL

(';')

Old 09-11-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

Well???? tis Friday, again....

1. I have a dim recollection that the XJ cars were imported as compacts!!!
Well, sorta. The wheel base of our S3 series was less than a comparable
contemporary USA car.

2. Ugh, a motorcycle cop lives just up the rod here. Not in his jurisdiction,
but I certainly don't want to tempt him. Good guy, and in view of the
"home robbery" craze, good to have. Checked the loads in my 38 and loaded the
Winchester 30-30. Any hood coming in here will, leave in a body bag.

Heat wave subsiding. gotta go to Pet store and restock Coco's food.

Carl

LnrB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Well, I'm off to bed. I hope you are pouring way too expensive fuel into Nix and driving next time I log on. Good luck!

LnrB (09-11-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Well..... What happened???

Did you pass, fail, get locked in the DMV???

Jeez, this is worse than waiting for my test results!?!?

Old 09-12-2015, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Its funny how people all around the world will be cheered up by the thought of one car getting back on the road in California :-) Go Nix!

Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Elinor, you should be extremely proud of what you have achieved. I do hope you enjoy driving Nix around again.

Jim.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:02 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Like was said before. We probably won't be hearing from her in a while.
I'll take this as a good thing.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Lnr......where are you........?

Old 09-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by andrew lowe
Well..... What happened???
Did you pass, fail, get locked in the DMV???
Jeez, this is worse than waiting for my test results!?!?
She failed her Idle Emission test, Andrew, by a factor of 10. Fella says it's merely a carb adjustment, easily done, but of course he couldn't (or wouldn't) do it right then when he was under the hood anyway, so I had to make another appointment for this coming Tuesday at 10am, for another $35 plus retesting for another $38!

Originally Posted by yarpos
Its funny how people all around the world will be cheered up by the thought of one car getting back on the road in California :-) Go Nix!
I'm actually quite astonished to find this much interest this morning, Steve! I know this section has been a bit slow, but Geeeeze!!

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Elinor, you should be extremely proud of what you have achieved. I do hope you enjoy driving Nix around again.
Jim.
Thank you, Jim, it only soaks in when I go back and look at those 3 threads. The 30 miles I got to drive her yesterday were Heavenly! Although the speedo doesn't work, nor do ANY of the windows.

Originally Posted by amaezing
Like was said before. We probably won't be hearing from her in a while.
I'll take this as a good thing.
And by next Tuesday this will be the case unless they "find" something else wrong.
Originally Posted by Daf11e
Lnr......where are you........?
I'm still here, Jim, but I do have mixed emotions.

First off, you could have knocked me off my chair when I saw this response this morning! Members in forums Really need to get a life!

Second, I'm somewhat overwhelmed by this response! It's only ONE OLD JAGUAR, for heaven sake! It's not like I'm having a baby or anything (THAT won't happen).

I will say though, the place I took her changed hands since the last time I was there a couple years ago; I think one of the crew bought out the old guy who ran it. He treated me with respect. These guys could hardly be bothered with woman in an Olde Jaguar. Of course I do have to remember the cowboy culture of the place (which is why I HATE Red Bluff) and the "Don't you worry your pretty little head about that, honey, we'll take care of it for you," attitude. I'll remember their condescension and take her and my money somewhere else next time.

So, just like any other soap opera, Stay tuned for the next episode.
(';')

Old 09-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

LnrB:

Those must be drug store cowboys!!! The real ones treat ladies with respect and look out for them as well.

My 79 IHC Scout II with the 304 CI truck engine was basicaly "dirty". A pre-smog design for reliability and sturdiness. Not fuel mileage or emission friendly.

The key to passing a SMOG test was two fold. 1. Good and hot. I used a cardboard in front of the radiator to achieve that. 2. Screw down the idle jets to barely run!!!

Some instruction said that in more technical language !!!

Confession: After it passed, I removed the cardboard and backed the idle jets
out to a decent and reliable idle.

Caveat: Access to some mixture jets is closed off by plugs!! but, they csan be temporarily defeated!!!

Just shows how flawed the whole program is...

Carl

Old 09-12-2015, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Bummer.... I suppose that is one advantage of having a slightly newer Jag, you can read the fuel trims off the OBD port, and make any adjustments before hand.

But, then again, it brings about its own problems!

Poor old Nix, she has been sat about doing nothing for the best part of ten months, a good old blast around California to clear her lungs would not hurt!

All the best for Tuesday!

Quick Reply: Closer...