XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank alignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up crank alignment

I'm new to this forum and i own a 1978 Jaguar xj6, I had a couple questions on how to align the timing on this vehicle. I am replacing the cylinder head gasket and i am pretty much done with it I just need to put the timing on it, I know they sell the cam aligning tool but I cant seem to find the crank aligning tool only for the v8 xj8 model, if anyone can let me know i need to get this car running asap pls. thanks

Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Crank aligning tool? Not sure what you mean. I've never used/needed such a thing for a head gasket job on a 4.2 XK-type motor. Is it something mentioned in your service manual?

Cheers
DD

Old 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

You don't need a crank aligning tool, (this may be a reference to a dial gauge), but later engines did have a timing degrees indicator on the crank pulley with degree markings, and a pointer bolted onto the front timing cover. However the pointer has to be set exactly with the front piston at TDC, however Jaguar always confused everyone by naming the rearmost piston No 1, not the front one.

Are you working with any published instructions ? Also is the distributor still in place and undisturbed ?

Normal practice in shops was to use a dial gauge clamped on the cylinder head to detect the piston rising, (through the plug hole), and then set the crank at TDC as indicated on the gauge which will rise and fall as you turn the engine. I can't remember if you have to turn the XK engine only one way or not. Certainly the V12 must only be turned one-way, clockwise I think. You can then drop the cams in and use the alignment tool to set them up for coupling to the sprockets. However, if you took the head off right, you shouldn't have lost the cam timing, it all should just couple up nice and easy. Once your cams are timed and bolted on, the ignition can be set, but should be OK if the distributor has been left in.

AlthoughI have rebuilt XK engines it was all a long time ago. Doug Dwyer is more up to speed.

PS - Make sure you lube the valves thoroughly before dropping the cam followers in. Especially the inlets with their oil seals. It is easy for a valve to stick open, or be a bit lazy returning, and then you bend it when starting the car for the first time.