XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This determines me driving again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This determines me driving again...

I don't know if I'm posting in the right section but excuse me if I'm not. But I have a 1991 Vandenplas edition and I can't understand this for the life of me but first, the brakes are locked on them. Is that a sign of a bad brake booster or what? Next, My oem alarm just flashes the lights and I can't seem to figure out how to disarm it and it won't allow me to start the car so how can I go about remedying this issue? Lastly, when I was able to drive it, when ever I put it in drive, it'll drive for a little ways and then spontaneously it'll go into "limp home" mode. Can someone tell me why it does this and how to fix it? I really need help with all of this and fixing these problems will put me back on the road so please help me y'all. Thank you so much in advance.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 AM
Received 10,288 Likes on 6,809 Posts

OK, you are NEW, so welcome to the real world of motoring.

Your car is, I THINK, an XJ40, confusing, YES, you will get used to it, as we all have. I say this due to the issues you are having???. I do not believe the S3 range had a "limp mode", but I may be wrong??.

I no not where you are in the world, so I will guess on what I know. These cars can be very different for the various markets they are sold in, so your location is going to help all who can/will answer your questions.

The brake issues are more than likely a master cylinder issue. The seals swell and jam the workings when the maintenence of the brake fluid is neglected. It should be changed every 2 years, mmmm.

The alarm is probably an earth issue "somewhere" on the car, and there are many, so hopefully someone in your market (when we know that issue) will chime in with a better solution. We didnt get imobolisers as factory on that year model. I would try disconnecting the battery, and see if it resets all the ills. I know it does work on near any car, SOMETIMES, so worth a try.

The limp mode may also go aware with this disconnecting, BUT, if the problem that caused it is still present, it will go back into limp again, so a scan at a service outlet should identify the problem so a fix can be undertaken.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For your question related to brakes locking, i can say that there might be Air bubbles in brake lines or your master cylinder may have gone out.
Secondly, for the OEM alarm Insert the key in the driver side door lock and turn it to the left and then again to the right. This will Disarm/reset the "OEM factory" alarm system. I hope this works for you.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM

Both of y'all were of great help. But how easy is it to change out the master cylinder on these cars? And with the alarm...I understood what you meant about resetting witht the key in the driver door but if all fails, will disconnecting the battery work though on the limp mode also?

Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM

And i'm in Houston, Texas by the way.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 10,288 Likes on 6,809 Posts

Mario,

The master cylinder is not "rocket science" to change out, fiddly, YES, time consuming, YES, brakes need to be fully bled afterwards. I have not done an XJ40, but I dont imagine any surprises, so someone who has done the job will come in and say so if there is a catch. I hope.

The battery disconnect basically allows most of the electrical thingies to rest, and drain any memory, or bad habits, or whatever they are called. Leave it off overnight if possible, Reconnection "reboots" the items, and mostly all is well, UNLESS, something sinister that caused the issue/s in the first palce is still present, then all and sundry will return pretty quickly.

This can also work wonders for the alarm I THINK.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Is there any special way to bleed the brake lines on these cars?