XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electric fans

Ok I know I have chatted about This before but it's still driving me nuts. So my 79 has the twin electric fans I assume because the car has air conditioning. I don't want any overheat problems this next summer so I want these bloody things to come on sooner. They only seem to come on if the car is already on It's way to overheating. I can't figure out if you can change the thermostat to a different temp because I am not even sure which thermostat sends the temp to these fans. I really don't want to magiver up a switch but is that the easier way to go? The car is completely original so I would rather not.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,748 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Series II or Series III ?

On the Series III, at least, the fan switch is in the RH radiator tank. I can't remember the details but it is not Jaguar-specific and whoever made the switch made it at different temp ratings for different car manufacturers.

Someone here might remember the details....or an archive search might reveal some good info. I'm 90% sure that somebody identified a lower temp version of the same switch

If you have a Series II....well...I'm not sure if they used the same switch

Cheers
DD

Old 11-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Default Fans

Yup series II
I will dig through the archives.
Thanks for the info.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Received 10,289 Likes on 6,810 Posts

OK.

Might pay to add that to your Sig, and the fact its a 6 cylinder as well, which will save a lot of time and guess work..

The S2 down here had a metal fan, and the S3 had a plastic.

The plastic is better at drawing more air at the same given fan speed.

All my S2 6cylinders had the metal fans, and NO electric. I never had hot running issues on any of them, even in our 45c+ Summers.

BUT

The radiators were recored.
The fan hubs were NEW.
The pressure cap was new, and blew off within spec, which was a task in itself.
82c thermostat of the correct length.

If these fans worry you so much, I would simply use a relay and have them switch ON whenever the A/C is on. Very simple to do, and would probably help the A/C run colder, due to more air at low speed???, but I doubt you get our summer temps, so if its running hot, maybe there are other issues.

The V12's were the same, except they all had Efans fitted by me, and NO engine driven fan at all.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

you can always fit an auber instruments controller to set the fans to come on at what ever you choose, i run twin thermos in place of the viscous set to come on at 95 and off at 92, the a/c fan is still independent but comes on at 94

Old 11-07-2016, 04:39 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Mine is the same, has an adjustable switch fitted. So I set them to come on where I'm happy with where the temp gauge sits.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Default Switches

Hey I would love some more details on both these setups