XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical issues

It's my understanding that electrical issues are a common issue with the '89 XJ6. I purchased the car a few days ago under the pretext that it had electrical issues, which I was told was only the digital dash cluster. I did some research before purchasing the car and decided that the dash should be an easy enough fix, I haven't got that far though. I discoveed after purchasing the vehicle there was a bunch of lights, a few bulbs fixed most of those issues with the exception of two.

Currently I have no right low beam, upon trying a new bulb that didn't work I got out my tester only to discover that there is no power going to the bulb. I followed the wires to a module box that I removed so that I could check the power going into the box. At the plug there is nine prongs, four of which have power. At that point I reversed my tester by clipping it to the positive side of the battery I found that when reversed still only four of the nine prongs have power.

Also my left reverse light is not working. I tested the circuit board the blubs push into and it appears to be working, so I went to the plug with the tester. When the vehicle is in reverse there is no power coming out of the plug.

If I was working on any other type of vehicle I would simply by pass everything by running a wire to the other side for both the head light and the reverse light. Knowing that the problem still would not be fixed though I do not want to go that route. I checked all three fuse boxes and all of the fuses are fine. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice that you guys can give me. I have also printed out the wiring diagram that I had found on a different thread from this site.

A couple other issues that I would like to address at a later point after the vehicle will pass the PA state inspection is the electric gas door does not work and I have I have no idea where to purchase mineral oil or the type that is reccomended; however, I can clearly see red in the bulb that sits on top of the resivior so I assume it needs to be filled.

Thank you all for your time and assitance.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Firstly, WELCOME, as you are new.

Your XJ6 is commonly know as an XJ40. You will get used to it as time goes by, we all did.

HOPEFULLY one of the Moderators lurking in the background will see this, haha, and move it to the XJ40 area, where you WILL get the answers you seek. The cars in this area did not have digital dash instruments, and had less electrical issues than the early XJ40 cars.

In the meantime I will read your post a few times and answer what I can, if anything.

If the mods dont move it I suggest you repost it in that area, as you will certainly get your answers.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I have posted in the correct section.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Morning. I have a 1986 Vanden Plas I inherited and it has some electrical issues - still working to figure them all out. I understand that the wiring harnesses on these are mediocre and problematic.
What things should I look for first in this type of car? Common problems areas and types? Thanks.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by whydahdvr
Morning. I have a 1986 Vanden Plas I inherited and it has some electrical issues - still working to figure them all out. I understand that the wiring harnesses on these are mediocre and problematic.
What things should I look for first in this type of car? Common problems areas and types? Thanks.
OK, I have never had Series 3 cars with mediocre wiring, OTHER than what some fool previously has messed with and buggered up, and then blames Jaguar. The XJ40 was/is a different animal totally, and the pre 90 cars were something SPECIAL indeed.

HOWEVER, once sorted, prove quite trouble free.

My suggestion would be to start a NEW post of the specific issued you are having, and you will definately get answers.

Always remember that age is now an enemy of wiring etc in these cars.