XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Shortage Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical Shortage Issues

Hi, My warning buzzer has different pitches and sometimes the pitch can get pretty loud/low then it just stops also when I open the drivers side door the lights comes on when it wants and they seem dimmer than when the passengers door is open. Could this be why my engine stop turning over due to this shortage and/or is it locked up? Any suggestions on how to go about resolving this issue. Thx

Last edited by ℬℒᏦ_ℙℕᏆℋℛ84; 01-02-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

First off check your battery voltage. That could make your starter not work correctly. Then check your ground strap/cable to the battery. Last of all I suspect you have a less than good ground on your driver door light switch.

The Prince of Darkness LOVES hinky grounds. That's where he does his best work. Check them all, clean them well and try again.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-02-2015, 02:45 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

As Elinor has said, and also.

Not sure about this buzzer you mention, as our S3 cars (2) never had such noises. If its an aftermarket thing attached to a an imobilise etc, then I strongly suggest disconnecting it until the car is as you want it to be, that is ALL sorted. These aftermarket things have cost me many hours when trying to chase exactly what you are looking for.

The small door switches need regular cleaning and lubing. They simply earth the lamps.

The LARGE battery cable that joins the LH +ve post with the RH +ve post is always a starting point. It transfers the battery voltage from the LH side to the RH side and then off to the starter motor and other items on that side of the car.

Then the fun starts. That terminal post on each side of the car is double ended, and is used INSIDE the car to supply what is needed. They are fun to get at, NOT, but get at them and check their integrity is a MUST.

The earths all over the car really need to be hunted down and removed and cleaned so that the integrity is 100%.

As Doug has said too many times. REMOVE all the fuses, clean the tangs of the holder, and the fuses and lube and refit. I always replace the fuses, they are CHEAP in any market.

There is an earth strap from the engine TO the chassis, and I forget the 6 cyl set up, but the V12 is around the LH engine mount, and is a fiasco at best. I fit a dedicated strap/cable from the engine direct to a GOOD chassis point so that I know the enine is 100% earthed. Its a surprise how much better the alternator/starter etc all work with a good engine earth.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 01-02-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I think he is talking about the "strap-your-seatbelt-buzzer" alarm that Series 3 came with; my 1984 has it too, I don't know if Australia cars had them, but USA cars have them.

in other words: if you are sitting on the driver's seat, when you insert the key in the ignition and start the engine, the buzzer will buzz to remind you to strap your seatbelt.

what I would do before dismantling any electronics or even attempting to remove the door jamb switch is:

1) check the two bayonette bulbs in the "B" posts to see if they are the same wattage, and while you're at it, I would replace them with LEDs for more light with less electrical draw.

2) the buzzer is a little black box that looks little a little AM Radio with a "speaker" in front, and it is mounted behind the speedo and tachometer gauges, along the row of relays; you can see it with a flashlight if you remove the speedo, and also you can "feel it" buzzing with your hand. These little buzzers go bad and they start making weird noises. The picture below show an almost identical Rolls Royce buzzer.

3) get a used replacement buzzer from David at Everyday XJ and test by substituting the buzzer with another; If the same identical symptom happens, THEN you proceed to the other steps suggested. You can't go wrong having a spare of these buzzers anyway.

**if you do not know how to remove the "B" post light bulb Lenses, or how to remove the Speedo and tachometer, download the Service Manual PDF file found here in the "How To" section to learn how to do it.

Last edited by Jose; 01-02-2015 at 10:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jose:
ℬℒᏦ_ℙℕᏆℋℛ84 (01-02-2015), davidboger (01-30-2015), Grant Francis (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 PM

Jose is right it's the seat belt buzzer, Thx for the info & checklist.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

this seat belt buzzer is from a Rolls Royce, but almost identical to the Jaguar buzzer.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical Shortage Issues-xj6-seatbelt-buzzer.jpg  
smith356 (01-27-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Bugga.

We have the old school cars. The "human" is still responsible for what happens.

These cars that remind you of all sorts of stuff, REALLY, its a means of transport and should stay that way.

I remember now, my XJ-S had a seat belt light that would simply not go out. Wasted way too much time on that sucker, so took the bulb out, sorted, Aussie style.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM

Hi can anyone help me out with identifying two wires that's not connected to anything in the side panel, Im guessing the black one is a ground but I'm not sure and the other is white/grey. Are they supposed to connect somehow? Thanks in advance

Name:  08e93159fbc6c8b98eda617c544e9c66_zpsf78268de.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  864.3 KB

Last edited by ℬℒᏦ_ℙℕᏆℋℛ84; 01-21-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ℬℒᏦ_ℙℕᏆℋℛ84
Hi can anyone help me out with identifying two wires that's not connected to anything in the side panel, Im guessing the black one is a ground but I'm not sure and the other is white/grey. Are they supposed to connect somehow? Thanks in advance
hi,
I can't recall what those wires are but if your car is NOT a Vanden Plas Edition, they could be wires for additional accesories that the Vanden Plas came with and the "Base XJ-6" did not.

for example, the Vanden Plas Edition has a cigarette lighter and chromed ashtray located at the rear of the center console, for the rear passengers.
An additional wiring harness is used from the rear of the console, to the front.

it also has a "gooseneck" Map light located in the center console panel to the right of the Shifter. It also had "Convenience Lights" located at the "C" pillars, for the rear passengers.

If all the electricals in your car are working correctly, then do not fry the wiring harness by attempting to connect disconnected wires. If something is not working, then you can check those wires with the Schematic Diagram.

the Black wire looks to me like the rear cigarette lighter Ground connector for the rear lighter wiring harness, the White/green striped wire looks to me like the cigarrette lighter lightbulb wire, but do not take that as the last word, I could be wrong.