XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrickery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Electrickery

You may recall that I installed a series three engine into my series two. Well I drove it around for some time when I noticed that the lighting system was somewhat doubtful. First, when on main beam, all four lamps came on as expected, but on dipped headlights, all four lamps went out! I guess that I have incorrectly connected the wiring to the relay on the radiator header panel. I have looked at a wiring diagram, but the coloured wired do not match my car!! HELP. Second, the side lamps only illuminated on the nearside(LHD), all contacts at the lamps were OK. I took out the lamp switch and gave it a good dose of switch cleaner with plenty of exercise and that seemed to fix that issue. However, and this is serious, I could not get the car to start. It cranks well but there is no sign of life coming from either fuel pump! I have fuel at the in-line filter and I have had it run for a few seconds, but that is it. I SUSPECT THAT I HAVE BLOWN A FUSE OR ACCIDENTLY DISCONNECTED THE FUEL PUMPS IN SOME WAY. HELP a second time.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

how does the lights problem relate to the engine swap?

Old 12-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Lost post, again.

electrickery. I did not coin it, but guilty as to spreading the term.

Check in the vicinity of the ignition switch. You were near there on the light switch fix.

soundl like OK in crank, but no volts to coil or fuel pump in run!!

Carl u.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

To remove the engine, the radiator and top support panel have to be removed. This entails disconnecting the wiring circuit to the front lights at the relay. Clearly, I re-connected incorrectly!