XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 11:06 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Front Suspension Arms

Does anyone know what the upper and lower suspension arms are made of in my S3 ?

I'm going to be getting some fab work done to change the ride height on the front and am considering having some new tubular steel arms made up.

Cheers in advance

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Cool idea...I believe the control arms are cast steel. The upper could be easily fab'd up using a jig.... The Lowers are a bit more complex and would require a knowledgeable fabricator. Really not necessary though since you can just run spring seat spacers. I did that and used a larger tires to fill the wheel well for a lowered look.

I plan on doing it for the weight savings alone...I've already got alu calipers and alu hat rotors and the improvement in wheel dynamics was noticeable with 15 lbs of less unsprung weight per wheel.

Last edited by icsamerica; 11-18-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Cast steel was my worry as this would limit trying to fabricate something.

Hadn't thought about reducing unsprung weight to be honest but it'll certainly not do any harm if I get some arms fab'd up

Altering spacers wont really be enough for the amount I want to lower it by. I want to fit air bags on the front so that I can run the car much lower than standard but then raise it up so that I get over speed bumps etc.
On the rear I'm going to use adjustable coilovers.