XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter change on XJ6 87

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Chris, if the car has been sitting, there will not be much pressure at the filter, so just get an old towel and place it under the old filter, release / undo the clamps and insert one hose into the new filter, then the other one, as quickly as possible. Use gloves so you don't get your hands wet with gasoline. It is not like you are going to open a flood of gasoline, but a little gasoline will come out.

replacing hoses is not neccesary unless they are obviously leaking or cracking. The hoses in my 1984 are still the factory ones and they are perfect.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleg
Ok so i remove the filter, take out the relay and hit the accelerator for a couple of seconds??

Thanks again by the way!
no, remove the relay, crank the engine a few seconds, and then remove the fuel filter. That way the pressure has been removed from the system. Or you can do like me. just remove the fuel filter, have a rag present and relieve the pressure in the rag as you loosen the connections on the fuel filter.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisleg
hmmm ok thanks Doug.

I found this one. Decent?
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-E...2+id+fuel+hose

That should be fine

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
chrisleg (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagXK2007
no, remove the relay, crank the engine a few seconds, and then remove the fuel filter. That way the pressure has been removed from the system.

Remember, when the starter is engaged the fuel pump is operating....and building pressure in the fuel line, not reducing it

Cheers
DD

Old 08-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
Chris, if the car has been sitting, there will not be much pressure at the filter, so just get an old towel and place it under the old filter, release / undo the clamps and insert one hose into the new filter, then the other one, as quickly as possible. Use gloves so you don't get your hands wet with gasoline. It is not like you are going to open a flood of gasoline, but a little gasoline will come out.

replacing hoses is not neccesary unless they are obviously leaking or cracking. The hoses in my 1984 are still the factory ones and they are perfect.
hi Jose

ok will have a look tomorrow morning, as that's when I will do the change over. The filter arrives today the pre filters apparently tomorrow.

Also its damn hot working on anything during the day hahah.

if I stick in the pre filters I shouldn't need new hoses though right! As I am merely cutting to attach the pre filters.

man I hate cutting anything

thanks everyone!

Old 08-24-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Whether or not you need new hoses depends on the condition of the old ones.....and, if original, how much faith you have in decades-old rubber.

On one hand they live in a kindly environment there in the trunk. No heat, no sunlight. OTOH, you're already 'there', making a smelly mess and cutting the hose open to install the filters. it's not much more work to just replace them and be done with it.

Your call!

Cheers
DD

chrisleg (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:05 PM

Curiously. Where along the hoses would be the ideal place to put in the pre-filters???

Old 08-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
chrisleg (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Great!!! Thanks again Doug!

Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

I always install new hoses when changing the filter. 30 to 40 year old rubber just does not have the pliability needed to get a good seal under the clamp. Or you can do it in two steps. Replace just the filter and then a week later when you smell gas fumes back there, you can go back and replace the hoses then.

I've replaced hundreds of fuel filters. Just disconnect the battery, use the towel Doug mentioned and do it. The whole procedure with new hoses, pre-filters and all is going to take about 15 minutes.

As you start your career as an amateur Jaguar mechanic I would find a good NAPA store with seasoned parts people. They are a great resource and after you build a good working relationship with them they often let you return things that don't work out or you don't need.

Good luck with your Jaguar. I hope you have as much fun with it as many of us here on the forum have driving and working on them.

Jeff

Doug (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Yellow series3
As you start your career as an amateur Jaguar mechanic I would find a good NAPA store with seasoned parts people. They are a great resource and after you build a good working relationship with them they often let you return things that don't work out or you don't need.
In my experience the NAPA stores almost always have more experienced and helpful countermen who are not thrown for a loop when an slightly unusual request comes along. They don't depend solely on 'drilling-down' through a menu on their electronic catalogs. They have actual acquired knowledge of auto parts and supplies.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-26-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
The 1/2" ID fuel hose is a bit unusual but I've never had a problem finding it at a NAPA store.

The rest of the hoses will be 5/16" or 3/8". Very common. Most stores stock Dayco or Gates, both are good.

Cheers
DD
hi Doug

So I got and then changed over my filter. But not received the pre filters so will wait to do any hoses etc

the original reason for changing the filter was because I started hearing a weird sound emanating from the old one. I figured needed a change.

but the sound is still there. Now I am thinking it's an issue with the hoses or the pump?

thoughts and ideas welcone!

chris

Old 08-27-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

Chris, I think it is admirable that you are learning how to take car of your Jaguar. We all had to go through the learning process. Hoses and filters don't make any noise. The changeover valve probably clicks if someone is pushing the button on the dash. The fuel pump is the only thing back there with moving parts. Can you describe the sound? With the engine running or off? If the engine is running it could be something like a muffler hanger under the car rattling. I haven't listened lately but the electric fuel pump could make a humming or rhythmic clicking noise. It may be one of those things you just keep checking and see if it changes over time.

If you get a new old car and are just starting out you are on the right track by replacing filters, rubber hoses, belts and most fluids. While you are doing those things you will get familiar with the car and it's quirks. Good luck

chrisleg (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Cris:

Yes, and no. The hose is not for EFI use. And, that is fine as your tank to filter to pump is gravity only and not at EFI PSI's.

But, whew, that is over kill. but, if you get it, you will have spare hose for other projects. Not a bad thing

I suspect the local NAPA shop could fix you up with filter, hose and clamps for a not unreasonable price. Good to make a connection with a local.

And, yes, the original clamps are probably just fine. butas you are there, new is usually, not always good.

As you go down the auto trail, you will build up a supply of hos, clams, fateners and a whole lt more...

Very handy at times...

Carl

Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM

@Thanks Jagcad. I actually found that we have a NAPA store around 10 minutes drive from me. I have never heard of the store and just presumed Autozone and O Reillys were the only two. And i have to say, neither are great in terms of knowledge or even customer service.

@Yellow Series 3 I will try and take a recording of it and post a link. Its a weird sound like when a tap is on but not flowing fluidly. Would appreciate any help on this. If its the pump is that a relatively easy jobby?

I love getting my hands on. Its also a bit scary. dont want to break anything. And i dont know what everything is. Its mostly self doubt as i have never actually had a car. But i have learned so much just from reading these forum pages, asking the group and the wonders of Youtube. Super grateful to everyone here for sure!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Chris, I think it is admirable that you are learning how to take car of your Jaguar. We all had to go through the learning process. Hoses and filters don't make any noise. The changeover valve probably clicks if someone is pushing the button on the dash. The fuel pump is the only thing back there with moving parts. Can you describe the sound? With the engine running or off? If the engine is running it could be something like a muffler hanger under the car rattling. I haven't listened lately but the electric fuel pump could make a humming or rhythmic clicking noise. It may be one of those things you just keep checking and see if it changes over time.

If you get a new old car and are just starting out you are on the right track by replacing filters, rubber hoses, belts and most fluids. While you are doing those things you will get familiar with the car and it's quirks. Good luck
so the sound file is in my dropbox folder here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnyeaefp50spot4/AAAzOSrxhGRoxximYf2TZ0jQa?dl=0

sorry for the size. Phone default I think.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:38 PM

so the sound file is in my dropbox folder here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnyeaefp5...Yf2TZ0jQa?dl=0

sorry for the size. Phone default I think.

You can hear it clearer ear the end of the sound bite.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:44 PM

So i received ONE of the prefilters today. No idea why they decided to send the in separate mail outs.

Anyhoo. I am guessing that the arrow should point to the fuel tank OUT line??

Old 08-27-2018, 08:53 PM

ALSO What is this?? And could this be causing the odd sound??? Does it need cleaning out or replacing ever??

Old 09-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this. Sadly I was spured to do this because the deposits in the tanks killed my fuel pump, which I will replace today.

chrisleg (09-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Fuel filter change on XJ6 87