Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel return filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts
Default Fuel return filter?

In cleaning out my LH tank on my 87 XJ6, I accidentally tore the filter at the end of a hard line inside the tank.

I am assuming this is the return line, but I'm not really sure why it would even have a filter. When I pulled the plug on the RH side and stuck a screwdriver inside to see if anything was plugging it up, it didn't hit on anything like with the LH side. For cleaning I pulled the LH sender, so I can see this filter, but can't confirm whether there isn't one on the RH or if perhaps it isn't centered over the drain.

I am wondering how important this filter is, and how on earth anyone would change it.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,810 Likes on 7,121 Posts

The return pipes are way up high in the tanks; no filters.

The pick-up pipes reach almost to the bottom of the tanks and they do have mesh screens/filters.

If you're running additional filters in the boot (many do) then I wouldn't worry too much about having the little inlet screens inside the tank. In fact, you might be better off without them. If the little screens clog then you have to drain all the fuel to chain 'em. Additional filters in the boot....ahead of the changeover valve and fuel pump....are much easier to change.

If you're not running the additional filters then I would use/keep/replace the little inlet screens so the changeover valve and fuel pump have at least some protection

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
sidescrollin (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

The tank in question was left with fuel in it for years, so there is a lot of crap to clean out (lbs of it). As a result, I definitely plan to put filters before the fuel pump. There is already a small one there, but the diameter is wrong, is there a go-to part # for the 7/16" hose?

I thought the pickup was from further back because thats where the outlet is, but it makes sense to be at the drain plug, which is the lowest part of the tank.