XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gauges pegged

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default gauges pegged

I bought the 73 lump with many elec issues. The only gauge working was alt. The oil and water were not hooked up and I had to strip some harness to find the wires. I hooked them to the sensors and when I started the car, the oil and water gauges were pegged. I'm hoping fellow lumpers will come to my rescue and let me know what's going on. Thanks mucho !
Jim

Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Typical, most lumps are not done well. If you guages are pegged at full... they are grounded. Getting the gauges right is not hard provided the wiring is good. Just take one at a time. The oil pressure lamp and oil pressure gauge can be done using the standard Jaguar senders and and can be plumbed using a brass T fitting and 1/8 to 1/4 inch NPT adapter which can all be found in the plumbing aisle of your local big box home improvement store. Same idea for the coolant temp sensor. If your wiring is toast then you can get aftermarket gauges and wire them in like a street rod.

Last edited by icsamerica; 01-17-2016 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
smith356 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Default pegged

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Typical, most lumps are not done well. If you guages are pegged at full... they are grounded. Getting the gauges right is not hard provided the wiring is good. Just take one at a time. The oil pressure lamp and oil pressure gauge can be done using the standard Jaguar senders and and can be plumbed using a brass T fitting and 1/8 to 1/4 inch NPT adapter which can all be found in the plumbing aisle of your local big box home improvement store. Same idea for the coolant temp sensor. If your wiring is toast then you can get aftermarket gauges and wire them in like a street rod.
Thanks for your response. I've ordered new sensors and will plumb as you instructed. I have another question - using a test light, I am getting a weak glow from the light/key off. Is this indicative of a problem or is it normal ?
Thanks, Jim

Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jim:

Which light is glowing? The alternator light? No, it should not glow.

As the electrics in your lump are "weird", it may be that that wire s incorrectly connected. but, wow, on the average lumping, that is a mere substitution. But, different alternator location and a need to extend the wires is an opportunity for a ".....".

You need two things:

1. The Jaguar schematic.
2. The donor car schematic.

Life will be easier!!

Carl

smith356 (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Default pegged

Carl, thanks for making me realize my post didn't give enough information. What I have is one of those test probes with a light in the clear handle. I had unwrapped the harness along the pass. fender in order to find the right wires to the water and oil sensors. History : when I bought this car, the sensors were not connected to anything, hence, no gauges - in fact, all the electrics were a mess, but it's slowly being brought back to life now.
What is going on now is that when I attach the wires to the sensors, and start the car, the gauges peg to the right. removing the wires and sticking the probe into the female connector, I get a dim glow from the tester bulb.
This is with the key in the off position and I'm not sure what's going on/normal or not ? I have a service manual and literature from Johns' cars and suncoast, so I hopefully am wired correctly. (oil pressure= brn/white >oil light= brn/blk > water temp= blue/green). I guess my question is ; if grounded, how ? To unground, how ? And last, is the fact that's there is weak current in the leads with key off normal or fault ?

Thanks to all, Jim

Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

You have a short!!!

With the key off, there should be no current.

Think of circuit logic. Gauges get 12v via the ignition switch in the crank or run positions. Sensor grounds in differing ohms. That is reflected in values on the guages.

So, the switch itself has a "leak" or the wires. The sensors provide the ground. Variable so as to register values.

Mine was loose as a goose. I solved a lot of issues via a good used
one via David Boger of everydayxj!!

Carl

davidboger (01-24-2016)