XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)

Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)

Decided to start a build thread on my Jaguar. I purchased it from a widow during the winter. I'm planning to do some house cleaning under the hood. I want to keep the car stock looking especially with the Kents. Going to weld up all the unused holes in the inner fenders. I removed all the old woven wrap off the wiring and weeded out the unneeded wires. Going to reroute the wiring and hide it with the new wrap from Painless Wiring (Powerbraid). It looks similar to stock but black. Going to use ARP bolts in most everything under the hood including fenders to inner fenders, cross braces, and core support. Going with a 350 Chevy engine and TH350 trans. I have rebuilt ones here already. Ordered the motor/trans mounts from Jaguar Specialties. Plan on building a new dash panel to house new Classic Instruments gauges in stock configuration. I'll use LED's for turn signal and bright light indicators. Going to do custom painted woodgrain look on the dash panel, Grant mahogany steering wheel, shifter knobs, speaker trim rings, and console top plate. I'll respray the engine compartment white. Getting the underhood labels done at my local vinyl graphics shop (brake fuid decal, battery decal, and air filter housing decals. Going to spray the engine British Racing Green Met. because I'm tired of plain old black. I already ordered the ARP engine accessory bolt kit. I'm shooting for a show quality engine compartment. I have almost everything removed from the inner fenders, firewall, and core support already. Here's a few pics of when I drug it home and of the engine compartment after some stripping.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:53 PM
The following users liked this post:
bill70j (09-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

This is gonna be Such fun!
(';')

Old 05-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Agree!!! Sure are a bunch of holes there!!! Why???
When I installed my LT1, I might have drilled two or three,
preferring to use the existing ones. and, two of 'em are way down under, well hidden.

Slick front plate. I got busted for having none on my 88 Tbird.
By a meter maid, not even a real cop. But my 85 F150 came and left
sans front plate, never busted.....

Carl

Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Agree!!! Sure are a bunch of holes there!!! Why???

To accommodate the different plumbing/brackets/parts/wiring hold-downs/etc for all the various build configurations, it seems.

For example, as my L6 to V12 swap continues, I'm finding myself needing to use lots of plugged-off holes. And....needing to plug-off holes that are no longer needed. So far, every V12-specific item I've needed to install has pre-drilled holes. Except---the oxygen sensor wiring. I'll need to drill two pass-thru holes in the inner fenders

Cheers
DD

Old 05-10-2016, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default I would like to pull my motor and weld all the extra holes

But, that is not likely to happen... I seldom drill new ones as I try to use all the existing holes... but doing a R&R would allow for another great
cleanup, welding holes unneeded and repainting...

Am now too close to the bare metal paint job... just a few more little things to do...

Old 05-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Incidentally...a bit off topic....

You might not know this but black interior is rather rare on Series III cars.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Incidentally...a bit off topic....

You might not know this but black interior is rather rare on Series III cars.

Cheers
DD
It looks black in pics but its dark blue

Old 05-10-2016, 03:56 PM

Forgot to mention that I have a parts car too.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:02 PM

I have too many projects but it keeps me busy. My pro touring 55 Belair and a factory 4 speed manual 1978 442 Salon aero. I'll finish them one day. I do all my own sheetmetal, fab, paint, bodywork, and mechanical.

Name:  DSCN4913_zpsxlyobrv8.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  204.3 KB Name:  DSCN4942_zpsuqczmous.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  279.2 KB

Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

I can see why you spend so much time in this forum; you don't have enough to do! You Really need a car project. That'll keep you out of trouble! LOL
(';')

Old 05-10-2016, 09:06 PM

So the local parts store engine mounts are really thin and cheaply made. I bought Energy Suspension engine and transmission mounts. Also grabbed a brand new HEI distributor. Reading my V8 conversion manual, it specifies a CAR oil pan. My 350 has a truck oil pan. First snag for a dry mock up this coming weekend. Going to try my local parts store in the morning on the way to work.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Lots of toys keep a man healthy, not so wealthy and young!!!!

Glad to see the awful "twisters" haven't hit you!!! Concolences to those that have been hit, hard...

How about EQ's. Saw a piece indicating that your state now leads ours in EQ frequency!!! And, some interesting indications that they are cause by humans!!! Not "fracking" as I suspected, but by
injecting waste oil drill water!!!!

Apologies for leaving the thread, not merely drifting....

Back on. Nice work....

As to all your critters...

Carl

ronbros (05-13-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:56 PM

I started on my first fabrication job for the XJ. I'm boxing in the sides of the headlight fuse block on the LH inner fender. I don't like the look of the open ends and wires showing

Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 PM

I got home from work and started looking at the engine bay. I'm going to completely strip it by removing brake system parts and engine cradle. I want it completely void of all parts when I repaint. I was looking at the throttle cable end and got an idea. I cut it off flush where it's crimped into the sleeve housing. I clamped that part in my vise and poked at it with a pic until a part of the coiled sleeve poked out. I then used a pair of pliers and pulled the remnant out. I drilled out the sleeve housing until the cable sleeve fit back into it. Now when I get my throttle linkage built, I can cut the sleeve and cable to fit. I'm off work tomorrow and plan on working all day on it. I'll have some pics tomorrow night. Definitely going to finish the headlight fuse box housing

ronbros (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

Things just roll along when the juices start flowing, don't they. Decisions come easily and stuff seems to fall into place. Good times/1
(';')

ronbros (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Hafrod
I got home from work and started looking at the engine bay. I'm going to completely strip it by removing brake system parts and engine cradle. I want it completely void of all parts when I repaint. I was looking at the throttle cable end and got an idea. I cut it off flush where it's crimped into the sleeve housing. I clamped that part in my vise and poked at it with a pic until a part of the coiled sleeve poked out. I then used a pair of pliers and pulled the remnant out. I drilled out the sleeve housing until the cable sleeve fit back into it. Now when I get my throttle linkage built, I can cut the sleeve and cable to fit. I'm off work tomorrow and plan on working all day on it. I'll have some pics tomorrow night. Definitely going to finish the headlight fuse box housing

i respect the people who do all there own work!

pix of my XJS roadster, 1978 V12, i did all the design, sheetmetal ,body, paint.

most interior, doors, floors, and rear seat delete,, bought the Recaro seats tho.

all wiring, electricals, computers SDS, sensors,etc. not much Lucas left under the hood, most GM/Delco/Delphi.

full suspension build, gas shocks(all 6) HD brake upgrades, grooved and dimpled rotors(GOLD). elec. vac pump for brakes, hi-performancs cams (CRANE racing).

i specialize in engine building, complete V12 performance build, ported polished BIG valve heads, hi comp pistons, EXTRUDE honed inlet manifolds, oversize TBs, K&N filters, full flow exhaust system, full custom fuel system,pumps lines ,injectors,adjust FPR

trans 700R4 built, lightweight converter&flexplate, rear drive hi/bias LSD, 3.73 ratio, balanced Aluminum driveshaft+HD joints.

wheels,10" rears, 18", 295-35-18 Nitto,frts, 9" -18" 275-35-18 KDWs.

some pix,, i have a 2 hour video of the rebuild/restore, lotsa welding and fab work, paint.

now what in the world do you do with a car like this, over 30K into it, been offered $4500.

Attached Thumbnails Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-pulley-viper-pump-001.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-pulley-viper-pump-002.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-cooling-pipes-001.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-corvair-jag-brakes-003.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-interior-001.jpg  

Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jaguar-engine-build-process-001.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jaguar-engine-build-process.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-door.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-dscn8691.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-dscn8692.jpg  

Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-dscn8693.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-under-shaft-trans-010.jpg   Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)-jag-under-shaft-trans-011.jpg  
Old 05-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Ronbros:

If I had a beauty like that and was offered $4500, I'd be tempted to be avialable for arrest for assault. Once, mebbe, smarter now.

But, to show the door, oh yeah....

In about the 60's my nweighbor had a hissy because our super friendly dog went over to lick his kids. My dear departed wife tried to placate him. He told her to "shut up".

So, I popped him in the nose. He swung back. he, younger and bigger than me, but we had ourselves a real tussle. Older and wiser neighbor separated us. I did get a shiner. I think he got a bloody nose...
Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
ronbros (05-14-2016), slofut (05-15-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Ronbros:

If I had a beauty like that and was offered $4500, I'd be tempted to be avialable for arrest for assault. Once, mebbe, smarter now.

But, to show the door, oh yeah....

In about the 60's my nweighbor had a hissy because our super friendly dog went over to lick his kids. My dear departed wife tried to placate him. He told her to "shut up".

So, I popped him in the nose. He swung back. he, younger and bigger than me, but we had ourselves a real tussle. Older and wiser neighbor separated us. I did get a shiner. I think he got a bloody nose...
Carl

CARL, you are something else,, LOL

Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Hafrod, sorry to hack your thread!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hafrod's 82 XJ6 Build Thread (V8 Conversion)