XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone seen this before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Has anyone seen this before?

I've had my XJ for 8 years but I never bothered to ask...
Has anyone ever seen a power antenna on the front wing like this? When I engage the switch the rear antenna reacts and I have no idea if there is a switch for the front unit - there is nothing apparent. I should chase the wiring...
Anyway it all looks factory. Maybe my car was special ordered. It was one of 2 greensand XJs ssld in Western Australia. Any hints?

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone seen this before?-dsc04604.jpg   Has anyone seen this before?-20140104_164412.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm no authority on Ser I and II cars.

Seems to me, though, that Jaguar had 3 or 4 different antenna schemes during that period. A fender mounted type wouldn't surprise me.

Having both a front AND a rear antenna is certainly a non-standard arragement. Dealer installed, perhaps? I can't imagine the car rolling off the assembly line that way.

Others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I don't claim to be an authority on anything. But, I do remmber a lot of things. but, i suspect I've forgotten a lot as well.

At one time it was 'fashionable" to have two cowl mounted antennaes on USA cars. One usually a dummy. Altjhough a bit later, one might be a CB unit. An some swoopy 57 Chevropets ahd factory tail mounted aerials. Looks only, one was a dummy!!

Which brings up an interestin side light. In your car, are bioth functional or is one a dummy or abandoned.

Curiosity aroused???

Carl

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
I don't claim to be an authority on anything. But, I do remmber a lot of things. but, i suspect I've forgotten a lot as well.

At one time it was 'fashionable" to have two cowl mounted antennaes on USA cars. One usually a dummy. Altjhough a bit later, one might be a CB unit. An some swoopy 57 Chevropets ahd factory tail mounted aerials. Looks only, one was a dummy!!

Which brings up an interestin side light. In your car, are bioth functional or is one a dummy or abandoned.

Curiosity aroused???

Carl
Hey, Carl - that's the thing - it isn't a dummy unit. Abandoned? Maybe. There's a drive motor and all that good stuff all looking factory or at least dealer correct. Not a backyard job. When I redid the interior a few years ago I do remember seeing a random toggle switch mounted under the dash by the steering column. I didn't trace the wiring but it didn't seem to do anything.
I might have a picture handy of the unit tucked into the fender...

Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM

If you look at the top left of the picture under the wing you can clearly see the drive and the spool. I will try and trace the wiring to see what's what. Again, when I turn on the radio the 'normal' rear antenna reacts

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone seen this before?-p1010089.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Thanks! By dummy I not only meant no capability of operation, but also a real one, but no connections.

So, there are two important connectors to determine this. One, radio supplied power to raise and retract. Two, coaxial to transfer audio signal from mast to radio.

Cleverer than me guys just might use a switch or two and a duplex connector to allow a choice of antenae or even both, in some hope of getting better reception.

Gadgeteers!

Carl

Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

As I recall the early series 1 cars had long gas tanks on both sides w. no room for antenna, these cars had the antenna up front.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

1) is the car a Series 1 XJ?

2) does the toggle switch look like a Lucas toggle switch but with sprung up and down action so that OFF is always in the center position?

if yes, then it could be a Jaguar-approved power antenna, mounted in the front wing.

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone seen this before?-lucas-switch.jpg  
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default There is room for a power antenna in S1 XJ

I have recently installed a S3 power antenna with the delay relay and the S3 mounting bracket and a Harada one piece unit in a S1 XJ.... you can use the original side mount rear fender location if you have the correct bezel...

Attached Thumbnails Has anyone seen this before?-antenna-relay.jpg   Has anyone seen this before?-installed-but-switch-not-mounted-yet.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 02-17-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Wrong picture
Old 02-18-2014, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jose
1) is the car a Series 1 XJ?

2) does the toggle switch look like a Lucas toggle switch but with sprung up and down action so that OFF is always in the center position?

if yes, then it could be a Jaguar-approved power antenna, mounted in the front wing.

Interesting....
My car is an early series II car SWB. I'm not completely sure if SI and SII front wings are compatible but perhaps I have a set of SI wings on the car.
I've begun dismantling the front clip for engine overhaul and engine bay / body blasting and there isa proper power antenna nestled in the wing with full wiring but disconnected. Why would it have both?
I will have another look at my toggle switch...