XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having fun with Dijon

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Having fun with Dijon

I've named my '80 S3, which is a two tone Mustard yellow (penrose?) - Dijon. Wonderful how quickly the name has stuck with all my pals.
It was parked for almost 20 years, after 75K original miles/one owner. Brought back to life by a kind mechanic/temporary owner (thank you Brent), and now am having more done - and driving it daily, what a kick in the pants! Tach works, clock works, had gas tank combo valve put in (with just one sending unit and no more need for dash switch - more convenient but mildly disappointing to not have the thrill of changing tanks), and now am sussing out why the speedo doesn't work. Bought the Bently Publishing service manual, have a friend who knows something about mechanicals, but still desiring to do much myself. The radio is original too with a Jaguar logo, which is cool, but it doesn't work and don't know why either. Am looking at a Pioneer radio with bluetooth and Sirius, but might have to open up dash opening a tad - isn't the original slot a tad smaller than today's radios? And, while most of the interior is in good condition, the threads are popping on much of the stitching, making me think about a new interior.......am thinking ostrich embossed yellow seat inserts with black surround, yellow piping on seats. You know, to play off the birds eye maple dash kit I'm considering. Elegant and fun! Gosh I love this car. Anyone have suggestions for radio, transducer or anything you wanna suggest? Have had some work done, it runs very well and I drive it daily. Thank goodness for the AC (which only needed a rebuilt condenser and a fresh charge) in this Texas heat.

Cheers,
CatLovr
a Texas gal who loves fine metal

Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The speedo is an ordinary cable type, with a two piece cable and and interval counter (which turns on the oxygen sensor warning light). One of the cables could be broken, the interval counter broken, the angle drive adpater at the back of the speedo broken, or the speedo itself might be broken.

The interval counter can be bypassed and a one piece cable used. The angle drives are hard to find but keep an eye on Ebay. Used speedos come up on Ebay as well, or a good instrument repair shop can fix it if its broken

Radio--yes, the opening is too small for a modern radio. The silver trim panel is very fragile and will be ruined if you are not careful. Used a really sharp cutting tool, or take it (the panel) to a radio intallation shop where they are experienced in that sort of thing. Ask me how I know.

Tastes vary on interior trim. Yellow and black ostrich sounds very loud and garrish, and not elegant (or Jaguar-like), to me.... but do what you like.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for info on speedo - will have to look carefully at what's what.
So, how DO you know about the radio installation issues?
There is little accounting for taste, to be sure, but I suppose the truth will out when I post pictures sometime down the road. :-) Remember this car is a soft dijon mustard yellow, and the yellow insert hide I'm looking at is a perfect match - it's buttery looking, and the ostrich embossing is a nod to jaguar spots.
As a joke, hubby put an acrylic leopard fur steering wheel cover on, and it makes everyone smile. Why they're smiling? Not sure I want to know! ha! But I'll probably leave it on until I get a nice black leather cover, just for grins. Life is hard so let's have some fun.
Anyone had experiece with dash kits from "wesellcarparts.com" ?

Cheers,
Caris