XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Hayward & Scott 4.2 header

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hayward & Scott 4.2 header

Hi all:

My S1 needs a new exhaust. It has more leaks than the NSA. So I'm exploring options and found this:

Jaguar XJ6 LHD and RHD Sports Manifold and Downpipe - XJ - Jaguar - Hayward and Scott

It's pricey. Wondering if anyone here can offer feedback. I was thinking of pairing it up to the full stainless system offered by SNG, which is about $600 or so all in.

I'm really looking for, along with eliminating leaks, two things: better running and hopefully a bit more of the snorty sound that the E-Types have but my raspy old XJ certainly does not.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks nice

Shame they dont seem to do full systems too

Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Other than looking pretty and saving a bit of weight, what is the advantage?

The XJ manifold is quite decent ion flow design. Better than a lot, by a bit.

If I still had my 4.2 in my car and I wanted to redo the exhaust, I'd simulate the e-type. A true dual system. The manifold flanges are there.

A competent muffler shop can handle it nicely.

Around here, SMOG reg's would probably prevent that.

Oh, mild steel is fine, except in wet or salty clines. Then SS prlongs the life somewhat.

SS is usually more beneficial for the vendor's bank account than the users.

Just my views.

Carl

Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

First of all the car won't run much better. The manifolds look nice, but that's about it. If you want the to sound more like the E-type I'd say that the exhaust itself and the triple carburetors are key.

The standard manifolds are great. Super heavy and thick metal that should last years upon years. I was lucky to get brand new manifolds basically for free, and I absolutely love them. The manifolds and the XK are a perfect combo! I don't think the stainless steel manifolds will blend in with the grey & black theme that is going on under the bonnit, but it's a matter of preference!

If I were you I'd get that stainless steel exhaust and find good manifolds.. Your choice!