Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please - very weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Help please - very weird issue

Hi again. Different problem this time.

Yesterday, my Jag (85 xj6 sov) was running fine. Today, she won't start. I crank over fine, it coughed a couple of times, and nothing (yet).

I am not too worried about that yet, and havn't tried all the usual tests (spark, fuel etc) yet. Something else is happening and I am worried.

Every time I stop cranking, I hear the coolant gurgling in the heater pipes and in the engine bay. I wondered what was happening, so removed the cap. There was a fair amount of pressure in there (as if it was quite hot). didn't worry too much, could have been from when I last used it. replaced the cap, tried again. same result, same gurgling, same pressure. I tried it again with the cap off to see, and as I was cranking, a big gurgling surge of coolant came out.

I need to know if this is normal, or signs of something expensive?? If it going to be expensive, I will have to think about re-homing the big cat, as i can't afford any more big 'vet bills'. I love her, and want to always own a Jag now, but I want to actually drive one, not just look at one.

Head was planed and head gasket replaced about 3000 miles ago, no oil in the coolant, and no coolant/water in the oil. (that I can see anyway)

Old 05-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I am not certain as I have never had nor read about anyone having this problem but I would imagine the first potential culprit would be the water pump and all related electronics and mechanics - again, not completely sure but thought I would offer at least a starting point for inspection

Old 05-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Received 3,816 Likes on 2,790 Posts

Hi Richard , you say this happens when you crank the car, no start.....is this a cold engine or warm engine?.....must be warm as I can't imagine it doing it from a cold motor. That said if it's hot it certainly sounds like a circulation problem as in pump or blockage.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:24 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Get a gas analyser on the coolant. Maybe you've been unlucky and the head gasket's gone again.
Hope I'm wrong.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Resolved - Sort of

Well, she starts and runs fine again. Don't know why it didn't this morning. After I charged the battery (went flat from lots of cranking), I put selecter iinto 'D', turned the key to prime pump and fuel rail, putt it in N and started first shot.

The coolant gurgling was on a stone cold engine. I think, but not 100% sure, that the cause was over full of coolant. there was no room for the air bubbles to get out of the pipes, so they were just going round and round. Could be completely wrong, but as it has now stopped after it released some of the coolant.

Or mayby she is possessed by an old witch, and playing with me......

Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

sounds like the cooling system has air in it, or is sucking air. Assuming it is not a head gasket problem, or any other problem like a bad water pump or thermostat, then you need to bleed the air from the cooling system. Here's how I bleed the air in my '84:

1) remove cap and fill with coolant when engine is cold, close cap fully.
2) warm up engine after you get it to start, If no start, find the Coolant Temp Sensor and jump its two wires with a paper clip to see if that convinces the engine to start,
(if you do not know where the CTS is, download the Service Manual in the HOW TO).

3) drive the car for around 25 minutes around the block so the thermostat goes through all its open and close cycles and until the temperature stabilizes and the TEMP GAUGE remains in NORMAL. Open the windows as you drive, turn the Heater ON to MAX HEAT and drive the car again for 10 more minutes until hot air is coming out of the dash vents and the TEMP GAUGE remains in NORMAL.

4) once you do all that, park the car on a level surface, engine running, use a thick rag and turn the radiator cap back a little, (do not remove it), just turn it a little until pressure starts to be released, keep your face away all the time.

5) get in the car and accelerate engine to 1,200 rpm for about a minute, as you watch any coolant spurt out and until no more coolant spurts out. Keep the Heater set to MAX HEAT all the time. You should have reached NORMAL TEMPERATURE and the air coming out of the dash vents should be HOT.

6) when no more pressure is being released through the expansion tank cap, slowly remove the cap to add more coolant as needed, a 50/50 mix until full.

If the gurgling continues, you could have another problem other than air.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I'm going for the possessed by witch explanation!

Admin, can we put the usual happy laughing crying etc smilies onto the panel immediately visible without going to the more option?