XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Wiring

Old 12-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Wiring

When i first got my jaguar (the black one) the window wipers semi worked and the windows worked, interior light worked.

Since then i have put in water temp gauge, oil pressure, rev gauge and a b&m shifter.

Now my interior light doesnt work either by the button or door switch, My wipers don't work at all, My windows don't work at all except the drivers window, central locking not working.

I've checked all plugs and connections and its all connected up no lose or shorted wires. not sure what went wrong? oh just popped into my head FUSE; havent checked them yet. but providing they are ok any ideas what could be wrong? i have all interior out except dash, do any of these problems have the wires behind the dash etc i need to check?

the back lights always stay on when battery is connected can't turn off with light switch etc ( not sure why? headlights not currently connect).

Also the interior heater controls have not worked since iv got the car, like the fan etc doesnt work not sure where the wiring/fan is located to try figure that out.

With my silver jaguar i just brought it came with a haynes workshop manual which i have just had a read of and have the full wiring diagram for my car but god dam can i understand this its so little so hard to try find whats what lol will give it a go the next few days

Thank you all

460 v8 jag is almost up and running yay

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 12-22-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM

wired it up according to haynes diagram but still no luck now no windows work, also the fuse for the interior light was blown but not the rest of the stuff.

is there a fuse for the electric windows if so where is it? not sure if iv now blown that fuse or not i cant see it anywhere in the fuse box. am now going to look at my silver jag and copy how they got it wired up

just wired it how my silver jag was and still no luck no windows work now not even drivers one . . . . i have no idea what it can be all the plugs are pluged in and right . . .

Checked the fuse box with a volt meter half the fuses have no power going to them . . . how do i try find out whats broken?

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 12-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Assuming this is a Ser III there is no fuse for the power windows.

Voltage for the windows comes from a relay (extreme right side of dash) and then branches off into two circuit breakers (below the glove box). One branch is for left windows and sunroof, the other branch is for right windows

Since one left window works then the relay is OK and at least part of the left branch is OK.

Have you checked for voltage at the switches?

I might add that dirty switch contacts are the most common problem. The switches can be opened up to clean the contacts

Here's a decent wiring diagram. Don't scroll down too far, though, or you'll end up in the XJS section

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

Cheers
DD

Old 12-22-2012, 07:34 PM

ops i forgot to mention its a series 2, and its right hand drive seen i live in NZ, right front window was working but rest wasnt but now none work and there is no power going to any switches and no power going to half the fuse box for lights window wipers heater control etc

have clicked the series 2 part from that link u sent hopefully it can help, my haynes manual is nogood

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 12-22-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:43 PM

i found the windows relay i think i assume this is it. there is power going into the relay when key is on but no power going out any of the other wires. does this mean i need a new relay or how does it work?

also in my haynes wiring diagram it says 259 thermal circuit breaker which is located infront of the window and door lock switches, but it doesnt tell me where abouts in the car it is . . . does anyone know so i can check these?

wow serious took the window relay out went to repco the only car parts shop and im like i need one of these there like na we dont sell them, where would i get one from . . .? no1 here knows where to get one there al useless

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 12-22-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

you might check behind the kick panel card, but I'm not familiar with the Series 2 models, however Jaguar always places some relays in the kick panels, at least in the Series 3.

get rid of the Haynes, they're useless. Order the Jaguar Factory Shop Manual CD from: Little British Car Co. they have them for $16.00 USD + shipping.

MG Parts | TR Parts | Triumph Parts | Austin Healey Parts | Jag Parts | Jag Bits | Sprite Parts | Midget Parts | Spitfire Parts | Bugeye Parts | Frog Eye Parts | Jaguar Parts | Sunbeam Parts | Classic Car Parts | Pertronix | Gunson | Moto-Lita | LBCa