Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Jaguar Mistique

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts
Default The Jaguar Mistique

One of husband's former coworkers and wife, now retired in Arizona, stopped by for a visit today, and as I was finished early, it seemed like a good idea to take them to lunch.

Last time they were here Nix was in a Terrible state of disassembly and it's a good thing she was unconscious or she would have been Mortified to be seen like that. As it was, she simply purred for them as I back her out of the garage so everyone could get in and we could go.

And you know, I didn't give it a single thought! Will this or that work correctly? Will she get us there and back? Will she embarrass me? None of these even crossed my mind until after they left!!

Jeanette, one who is easily impressed by perceived status and appearances, couldn't Ooo and Aw enough over how Nix looked, still polished up after our trip over the weekend. She said this shape had always meant JAGUAR to her, and she had always liked the look of them but never gave serious thought to owing one. Then when they sat on that Luxurious leather in the back seat (they aren't big people so they managed fine) there were more expressions of delight.

As we got underway, they both commented how Quiet Nix is and how Smooth her ride. (They were driving a relatively new "high end" Hyundai and thought it was Just the car to end all modern cars! They're NOT car people!) I mentioned that this car is nearly 40 years old! They said it was Much smoother than their car and so comfortable in the back! Husband reminded them that Nix is a Full Sized Luxury Saloon, the long wheelbase model, 6 inches longer than standard!

I parked right out front of our local restaurant where I could keep an eye out for locals in their Huge 4x4s. Passersby stopped for a good, long look. One gimpy old guy limped out of his car and hobbled all around Nix, looking her all over, great appreciation on his face. I'm sure part of her appeal was the fact she's Black and CLEAN; a rare combination in these parts!

Lunch was good, but it was after 1pm and everyone was hungry. We enjoyed our visit, and husband's friend regaled us with tales of their relatives and their trip to Napa on Saturday (WHERE WE HAD JUST BEEN!!) and around SF Bay after that.

As they got out back here to the house, Jeanette gushed what a Great experience that short ride had been. I had to remind her, "Jeanette, it's just an old car!" "Oh No," she said, "It's absolutely Lovely!"

We had a good time, and I'm Sure their relatives visited after this will get a full report of a short ride to a good lunch, in my JAGUAR!
(';')

The following 4 users liked this post by LnrB:
Dleit53 (11-05-2015), jagent (10-30-2015), thedugger1 (10-29-2015), yarpos (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

my story is not quite the same, my cousin was over from England, loves cars, borrowed jag for a run to the shops, came back saying how nice and smooth she rode and ran, however you just cant shake the old jag smell was his complaint!! lol

I fixed it! got rid of the leather!!
Oh and Elinor, im sure having a green and clean car would have gotten just as much attention!!!

Old 10-30-2015, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Exactly what it's all about, Elinor. Intrinsic pleasure follows and hopefully neutralizes any pain associated with ownership!

Darren, I kinda like the old leather smell. There are even products available that mimic it, for those with cars not so well graced! Personal taste once again...

Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Well done Elinor.

I was told back in the very early days, "Nothing rides like a Jaguar, many have tried, all have failed". I was 19, and girls were primary in the brain at that time, and I had a Jaguar, whoopee.

As I progressed through my fleet over the years, and I never strayed to other makes, I slowly (slow learner am I) understood that this guy was spot on.

I rode in other brands, of course, and I really could never accept the lousy rides these people were tolerating, and were happy with these cars.

My S2 cars, I had a few, were possibly teh BEST, by a long shot.

The XJ-S was different, but also superb on the open road.

The X300 was so close to the Series cars.

The current 2, the S Types, are also different again, much like the XJ-S's, and open road ride and handling is JAGUAR, straight up.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:23 AM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Nice story Elinor, must be very rewarding for you after all the effort, and as Grant mentioned my series 2 is probably the most comfortable car I have owned .....certainly the best handling car.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Indeed, those tales abound.

1. About a decade or two, a couple of neighbors and I were going to a community meeting. The question arose, "Who drives?". Each immediately pointed to me, "we have to ride in that Jaguar".

2. A few years ago, I read a review by an automotive columnist on the current Jaguar offerings. I decide to e mail her with comments. I attached a picture of my Jaguar. I got a nice response, "now, that is a Jaguar!!".

3. A few years ago, I visited my daughter. her gal pal called and advised she was stranded and needed a ride from down town. So, we went and got her. She could not stop oohing and awing, "it is so clean and even smells nice"!!!

4. A coupe of years back, my daughter's Passat went down. I lent her my Jeep.
Her gal pal asked if I were stranded. "No, the Jaguar is n my garage. She replied, "Some way to be stranded, gotta drive a slick Jag!!!

5. A bit over decade and a half, my dear departed wife and I pulled in to our drive
in the newly acquired Jaguar. Our neighbors were in their drive. "Wow, that is a real beauty". Much oohing and awing. "Is it new"? "No, 18 years old!!

6. Some years later, in the church parking lot. A church lady, "Wow, things are going well, a new Jag!!!!

7. Some time later, my dear departed promised our Pastor and his wife, a home cooked German dinner. And, a "plus", picked up and returned in the Jaguar. A very nice dinner. Vienner schnitzel. More ooh's and aws, by both, for both, dinner and the ride...

Carl.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you much for your kind comments, Guys,

Darren:
LOL I'm sure you're right about a green car! Most cars on the road here are light colors, specifically silver/gray, specifically so people don't have to clean them so often.

But I rather like the smell of leather, especially when it's warm, as it is when the car sits in the sun for a while.

Tony:
I'm told, by those who claim to know, that any relationship worth having includes some pain. The idea being that one can't enjoy good without some bad to compare it with.

I'm not sure I agree with that though, during good times I've never found myself wishing for some bad so I could appreciate it more or being glad for any bad that went before. More likely, during good times, I find myself waiting for the shoes to start to drop.

Grant:
Nix is my first Jaguar experience. I come from a Chevy family, specifically the Land Barge branch; of course, they could be forgiven that as there were 5 kids and GM sold the largest wagon.

I did learn Very early on that Chevy did NOT have the best ride on the road, and after I found that Ancient Chrysler for my college project, I've never gone back to Chevy nor do I intend to do so willingly, although I do understand their drive lines.

I'm aware that I'm now spoiled. It's not just the lines of the car, it's not just the ride, it's not just the smell of Leather or the beauty of the wood, it's not just comfort of driving long distances, it's the Whole Package!

Now that she rolls along in such a Fine manner, how can I go back?! Wart (2001 Ford Windstar) is such a, well, WART in comparison and wallows down the road like a PIG! Not unlike a Chevy actually.

Jim:
It is indeed Very rewarding, after the scars in the palms of my hands from clenched fists (not really). I haven't driven as many cars as you fellas have of course, but Nix is the most comfortable and best handling of them. Wart just plain makes me tired after driving a couple hours, and I'm SO glad to fall out of the seat. But Nix, I'm almost sorry when the drive is over!

Carl:
You always have Great stories and I so enjoy reading them. Keep them coming.

Weather is good for a couple more days, so I'm off to use up some more of those tires.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 10-30-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Didn't catch Carl's reply
The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (10-30-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

back in the late 1980's, some New York women's magazine did a poll on "Women's Favorite Car They Could Not Afford".

the Series 3 XJ-6 won the poll with something like 85% of all responding the poll chose the XJ-6. The other 10-15% checked the "Who Cares Anyway?", the "What a Stupid Poll", and the "Sorry Honey I got a Headache" answers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
LnrB (10-31-2015), someguywithajag (11-02-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Jose:

Some years back, a "famed" rock band, "Silver Snake" or something
like that published a video. Their "music" backed a gorgeous gal in
filmy/flimsy garb "dancing" across two XJ6's. Tawny Kildane.

In spite of a tough life after, she was still gorgeous!!!!!

Gals and Jags, oh yeah. As long as I appreciate that, I am alive.....
Four score and six notwithstanding....

Carl

Old 10-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
[...]

Carl
Carl, you are Such a Hoot!!
(';')

Old 11-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Jose:

Some years back, a "famed" rock band, "Silver Snake" or something
like that published a video. Their "music" backed a gorgeous gal in
filmy/flimsy garb "dancing" across two XJ6's. Tawny Kildane.

In spite of a tough life after, she was still gorgeous!!!!!

Carl
Close! In case anyone searches:

group: Whitesnake
woman: Tawny Kitaen
video: Here I Go Again

I think she was in a second video as well.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Flint:

That is it!!!

Carl

Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 AM
Received 177 Likes on 87 Posts

Always nice to hear compliments from others, especially when they are not car guys.

Although it does seem like you're all a bit biased... Of course, my series 1 drives great. But so did my citroen DS from 1973. In fact, that was even more comfortable due to the hydraulic self leveling suspension system.
It did not corner as hard, but on the highway it beats the jag anytime.

And the mercedes w126... what a terrific car. Regarding comfort it can compete with the xj6. Regarding build quality it is so much better than a contemporarty jaguar.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

Carl,

more women mysteries:

Janice Joplin's 356 is up for auction, expected to bring more than John Lennon's Bentley that was painted the same way.

Jean Shrimpton's mystery: is the car a Jensen or a Jaguar?
it was given to her by William Lyons, some say a prototype XJ by Bertone that never made it to production, but the car or Jean can't be found. (never mind the emblem on the rear fender, it was all camouflage, but look carefully at the open door, does it look like a XJ-S door??

Attached Thumbnails The Jaguar Mistique-joplin-porsche.jpg   The Jaguar Mistique-jean-shrimpton-mystery.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 11-02-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Jose:

I suspect the world looked that way to Janos and she dressed and had her car painted to "fit in".

Agree, looks very Jensen like. You suppose sir William's guys bought one to study? and then when done, he gave it to the lovely lady with the gams...

Carl

Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Correction, "Janis". Keys too puny for fat stiff fingers...
any of my old boig key boards have USB????

Raining out there earlier. Yahoo, we need it really bad..

Carl.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Carl,
I don't know if Lyons might have studied the Jensen, but I know he used to be friend of the execs at Chrysler, GM, and Ford, that's why you find Chrysler, GM, and Ford components in Jaguars since the late 1950's.

my '65 S type came with a 1950's Chrysler Heater valve, a Ford Tractor power steering system, (you can still get the power steering filters at Ford Tractor parts suppliers), a Studebaker DG-250 auto transmission, and who knows what else is in there. He also used the same Rolls-Royce & Bentley taillamps in the S type, 420, MK-10, and 420-G Jaguars.

and then we all know about the many GM parts in the XJ series.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wilfred88
Always nice to hear compliments from others, especially when they are not car guys.

Although it does seem like you're all a bit biased...
Of Course we're biased!! This is a JAGUAR forum!

If anyone Really expects we would be singing praises of MB or Citroen, they are Seriously lost in Forumland and need to ditch their Garmin.
(';')

jagent (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

here's one reason why I do not like Mercedes

Attached Thumbnails The Jaguar Mistique-mercedes.jpg  
jagent (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilfred88

Although it does seem like you're all a bit biased... Of course, my series 1 drives great. But so did my citroen DS from 1973. In fact, that was even more comfortable due to the hydraulic self leveling suspension system.
It did not corner as hard, but on the highway it beats the jag anytime.

And the mercedes w126... what a terrific car. Regarding comfort it can compete with the xj6. Regarding build quality it is so much better than a contemporarty jaguar.
Did I miss something here - having ditched your more comfortable Citroen and your better built Mercedes, you currently choose to drive a Jaguar?? I'm left wondering why?

Quick Reply: The Jaguar Mistique