XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Jaguar XJ6 Series III 1984 Crank and no Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar XJ6 Series III 1984 Crank and no Start

Hello,

My dad owns a Jaguar XJ6 Series III from 1984, the car used to work proper and clean 1 year ago, but 6 months ago, the old Kitty decided to go all wild and stopped working.

The things we've checked off the list.

1) New Fuel Pump. (We assumed the fuel pump stopped working, but we begged to differ after putting the new one)
2) The Spark Plugs, bought a new pair, after putting them, it still won't start.
3) The Injectors, we sent them to clean them and we paid 150€, to repair them, we saw the guy putting them to work and they worked properly.
4) Bought a new Electric Harness for the Injectors, still nothing.

I am at a dead end with the car, we've been putting money and time into it for 6 months and we still haven't heard her running. Any idea what would cause it? The only thing we've got on our minds now is that there is not enough pressure for the injectors to pulverize petrol properly. Has anyone faced this issue before? Like the car was running normaly 1 year ago, it was purring properly as well.

By the way the car still cranks, but nothing happens, we tried operating manually and it cranks, but it stops after we stop operating it manually, my only guess is that it has to be something related to the Fuel Pipeline, not enough pressure and such.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,862 Posts

download or view the NO START CHECKLIST found at the Sticky HOW TO XJ-6 at the beggining of the threads.

here's what I do to start my 1984:

put the shifter in position 1,
turn the ignition switch to Start and hold it there for 3 to 5 seconds. Then back to OFF.
repeat this 4 to 6 times. You should hear the fuel pump "whinning", this means it is pressurizing or "charging" the fuel system everytime you hold the ignition switch in the Start position with shifter in position 1.
Then try to start engine with shifter in P or N.

If still no start:
go to the front passenger side and check the Fuel Cutoff switch. it has a reset button on top. Press it down to see if it "clicks" when you press it. If it just "springs" then it is ok. This switch is located on the front "kickpanel", below the corner of the dash, above the upholstery cover.

Has any work been done with the radio or below the console panel where the two ashtrays are? In front of the Shifter, the 1984 has a Neutral Safety Switch which is very finicky and if it gets disconnected or altered it also prevents the engine from starting. Try to trace your steps back to see if anyone has messed with the Neutral Safety Switch.

Last edited by Jose; 07-20-2018 at 01:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
dnldvln (01-31-2020), Turkay Istek (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,953 Posts

I presume you have checked for a spark at the spark plugs, yes ?
You may have seen the injectors working on the workbench at the workshop, but are they working now they are installed on the car ? They fire all together twice per engine revolution. The ECU is triggered by a pulse from the ignition, (as I recall it is a white wire coming off the coil), and if this is not connected, or is broken, the injectors will never fire. The way the injectors are fired is that there is 12 v supply to the injectors, and on receipt of the pulse from the ignition, the ECU earths the injectors to make them fire, the period of earthing deciding how long the fuelling pulse is. Towards the rear of the engine compartment, you will find a box containing a set of resistors that are in the earth circuit. This must be earthed or the injectors won't fire. The earth leads are attached to the rear of the inlet manifold. There must then also be a good engine-body earth too, this is found on the exhaust side of the engine towards the rear. If one person cranks the engine another person should be able to hear an audible click from an injector. Use a long screwdriver with the point pressed on the injector and the other end on the ear. Alternatively there are little test bulbs available for just this purpose.

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/42efi/index.php

The following users liked this post:
Turkay Istek (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the help guys, I've sent the Injectors in for another clean in Turkey. We keep thinking it's the Injectors they are gonna be back in about 15 days or so, gonna update you folks after they arrive.

Cheers!

Old 07-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a crank no start issue on my 1984 S3 4.2L myself. It ended up being the distributor bearing seized and spun the distributor while in the engine out of time so far out it didn’t start. I had spark, fuel, and fuel injectors triggered but no start. Replaced the distributor and installed with the vacuum advance pointing to the 10 O’clock position and it fired right up.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

This might help

ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T START

Cheers
DD