XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an 86 XJ6–and fuel system problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 08:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick update: got the left side tank to the point that I was able to fill 5 five gallon tubs of crud free water yesterday. Blow dried the tank, added a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil, buttoned everything back up and added full fuel tank with a full bottle of STP tank conditioner. Drove it about 6 miles yesterday and about 15 tonight. No fuel issues and the car runs well and makes good power.

If I’m lucky enough to get to 60 miles with no clogs, I’ll pull the pretank filter for that tank and inspect it at that point.

I didn’t put the tank level sensor back in correctly. It only reads 3/4 at a full tank. When the gas goes down, I’ll pull it and put it in correctly.

The only concerning issue I’m noticing is a really hot exhaust (but not glowing) and hot under hood temps. The car runs fine but I’m worried that the cat converter is clogged. Coolant temp doesn’t go past 85 but I’m going to restrict drives to no more than 20 minutes at a time until this issue is corrected.

All in all this is far from a concourse level Jaguar and it never will be that, but I really like this car! It’s big and comfy yet still fun to drive — and it kind of has the endearing feel of a worn out catchers mitt. Time will tell if it’s a keeper — but I sure hope it works out.

Now, I need to get going on the right side tank ...

The following 2 users liked this post by novws:
Jose (08-03-2020), Mkii250 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,850 Likes on 7,139 Posts

Originally Posted by novws

The only concerning issue I’m noticing is a really hot exhaust (but not glowing) and hot under hood temps. The car runs fine but I’m worried that the cat converter is clogged. Coolant temp doesn’t go past 85 but I’m going to restrict drives to no more than 20 minutes at a time until this issue is corrected.
From afar it's hard to comment on this.

The location of the front catalytic converter is such that it radiates a lot heat into the engine bay even under the best of circumstances

An exhaust shop can do a back pressure test and tell you if you have a clog

All in all this is far from a concourse level Jaguar and it never will be that, but I really like this car! It’s big and comfy yet still fun to drive — and it kind of has the endearing feel of a worn out catchers mitt. Time will tell if it’s a keeper — but I sure hope it works out.

Well, that's the thing about Jags. It's that feeling you get when you drive one. That's why people love 'em.

A Series III Jag, simply, is the most modern of all antique automobiles.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
novws (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,441 Likes on 1,836 Posts

the Right side tank ( passenger side in LHD cars) is almost always the leaker, so don't get too agressive with it.

as to a clogged catalytic, you can remove the one for the 02 Sensor, open it up if not already separating at the seams, remove the honeycomb bag, clean rhe inside walls, re-weld it closed, pressure test it for leaks, and reinstall it with the O2 Sensor. The engine will pass smog inspections.

In my '84, I also eliminated the Y pioe with the second catalytic and installed a European Y pipe without catalytic. The hot spot under the front floor dissapeared. The car passed smog inspections until it reached "Antique Car" status which makes it exempt from further inspections.

the engine breathes better, runs smoother, and the exhaust sound did not change.

If you live in a state with inspections, here's a tip passed to me by my mechanic: Drive the car for at least 1 hour, ( 30 minutes one way, then 30 minutes back ), or longer if you want, before getting to the inspection station. This allows the engine to go through its full thermostat opening and closing cycles until it settles in its normal driving temperature and expells most noxious gases by the time it gets inspected. Also don't idle the engine while in line at the station. Shut the engine off and restart it as needed.

novws (08-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I thought of guys with rusty jaguar tanks as I watched a You tuber mechanic solve one for a critter.
Diesel creek., A smalllish tank from a big generator. he put a chain in it and strapped it to the big back wheel of his farm style tractor. did some land clearing chores with the tractor.

Removed, dumped out the detritus and found it clean and put it back on... FIXED!!

I did something similar decades ago when I rebodied my T hot rod . Put nails and tacks in the tank and ran ona n ausdxilary tank for a couple of days. Perfect...

Carl

novws (08-05-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

just found this video by ChrisFix basically doing a tank cleanup that was vandalized, but notice how he uses water and pressure to clean the tank. Nothing to be afraid of.

novws (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:25 PM

Jose, Doug and Carl — I appreciate your perspectives very much.

I’m about 50 miles into the left side tank and no problems. The car runs really nicely and smoothly overall. I’m going to flush out the right side tank this weekend and while the car is down I’ll pull the left side prefilter to inspect it.

I have been trying to drive the car every evening but did not tonight due to heavy rain and hail (I’m in Colorado). I did replace the seal under the oil filler cap tonight. After purchasing the car, I noticed it had been leaking so it was good to get this simple item off my to-do list.

Jose, thanks for the ideas about the catalytic converter. I am definitely going to get rid of the honeycomb on the downpipe by the 02 sensor and see how it does. I don’t live in an area where they check for emissions but not sure I want to remove all the cats. We’ll see. This will be a nearer term project.

Jose, that’s really cool you have owned your Jag so long. Are there any areas on this site that you have photos or documentation of the work you’ve done? I’d love to check that out. Same goes for any of the rest of you on this site as well. Any knowledge and inspiration helps.

Old 08-06-2020, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

John,
I have images posted all over this forum of modifications (mods) I've done.

Just silly mods, like rewiring the side marker lamps to flash with the normal flashers/blinkers, replacing the USA headlights switch with the European Headlights switch which has more light on-off combinations, adding the Third Center Brake lamp, replacing the school bus steering wheel with a smaller steering wheel, replacing the Kent wheels with XJ-40 Teardrop wheels and 235/60/15 fat tires, adding a lifetime K&N air filter, otherwise the car is stock.

you can see some of these mods in my website at:

www.jagupgrades.webstarts.com

I also have there many documents and literature pertaining to the Series 3 (1979-1987) XJ-6 that you can download free.

So enjoy. These cars are very simple, that is what I like about them. I also have a 1965 S type which is so similar to the XJ-6 it gives me goosebumps. I believe Jaguar had a "formula" which they kept refining but otherwise keeping the same "principles". Something like that.

There is a joke that says: "the Jaguar XJ-6 is a 1960s Jaguar MK-10 with the air let out".

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
Mkii250 (08-08-2020), novws (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 11:35 PM

Great website, Jose. Lots of good tips and mods. My rear light gaskets are trashed so that’s another near term to-do I’ve added to my list. There are a couple of things I plan to order from you in the next week or two as well.

I’ve had some old BMWs over the years and their approach is sort of similar — they stuck to an idea for a long time and spent the subsequent decades perfecting it. My 73 2002 tii looked remarkably similar on paper to the 91 318is I owned later on.

But Jaguar seemed to be way ahead of the curve in the 60s — more so than BMW — and I suspect much of their reuse of engineering was as much about getting it right in the first place as it was about making the most of a tight budget.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member

there are two gaskets for the tail lights, one is a round foam seal for the lenses, and the second is a foam gasket for the rear of the housing-to-body. My car does not have the second one and there are no signs there was ever one. I think it was a later addition or they forgot to add it to my car.

For the Lens seal, a better one is the beading used to tighten residential window screens. It's rubber and longer lasting. I have those if you need them.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:10 PM

Pretty busy at work this week so wasn’t able to spend as much time working on the Jag.

But did find a couple of small holes in the right side tank just inside the lip around the drain plug. So ... I need to think about what to do there and while I do I’m moving on to other things.

Today I washed the car and changed the oil. The filter was a major PITA to get off. Fortunately I didn’t spill much, but did get oil all over my arms. I ended up using Valvoline VR1 20w-50 conventional motor oil primarily for its high zinc content.

Also filled up the left side gas tank. So far, so good on that side.

yachtmanbuttson (08-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2021, 08:01 PM

Image taken tonight, 6/17/21, at home in the garage. Williamsburg, Va.

Back from the dead … well, not really. As it has for all of us, life has really gotten in the way lately. But I still have this XJ6, even after a move earlier this year from Colorado to Virginia. It’s been a cosmetically roughish car with a heart of gold. I’ve put about 2,500 trouble free and sublimely traveled miles on it and as I approach a year of ownership, I want to try to focus some attention back on this car that has been a source of joy.

That’s going to start with nothing major. I want to change the transmission fluid and the rear transmission mount, try to source some better seats, lube the chassis, fix the horn and get a state inspection. This winter, I want to replace the steering rack bushings and possibly rebuild the front end.

Just wanted to keep this thread going to perhaps selfishly commit myself to the projects ahead. Love this forum and hope you’re all doing okay.

The following 4 users liked this post by novws:
LnrB (06-18-2021), LT1 jaguar (06-17-2021), Mkii250 (06-21-2021), Noah (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:56 PM
Received 149 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by novws

Image taken tonight, 6/17/21, at home in the garage. Williamsburg, Va.

Back from the dead … well, not really. As it has for all of us, life has really gotten in the way lately. But I still have this XJ6, even after a move earlier this year from Colorado to Virginia. It’s been a cosmetically roughish car with a heart of gold. I’ve put about 2,500 trouble free and sublimely traveled miles on it and as I approach a year of ownership, I want to try to focus some attention back on this car that has been a source of joy.

That’s going to start with nothing major. I want to change the transmission fluid and the rear transmission mount, try to source some better seats, lube the chassis, fix the horn and get a state inspection. This winter, I want to replace the steering rack bushings and possibly rebuild the front end.

Just wanted to keep this thread going to perhaps selfishly commit myself to the projects ahead. Love this forum and hope you’re all doing okay.
Was enjoying your post and then realized a year old..but then you resurrected it!! My situation is very similar and I am in Raleigh. Just had a great wknd with girlfriends friends in Leesburg VA

My 86 is up on stands. I am replacing the rack and P/S bits. No longer held fluid!!

Take care and keep this post going..

The following 2 users liked this post by worzella:
Doug (06-19-2021), novws (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 07:34 AM

Beautiful Jag, worzella. I love that color. Good luck with your power steering repairs. Let us know how it goes.

I was in Raleigh last weekend visiting friends. Let’s stay in touch in case there’s a chance our paths may cross.

John

Old 06-19-2021, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am guessing that the plug you removed to drain the tanks was the small one. Those screw into a larger one!! Removing it will allow more detritus to escape.

It will also allow you to see and or remove a sle4ve on te pickup tube in the tank. Clogged?

And, the main filter, the large one. Replace or purge i if restricted. Pudh fuel through it in reverse order...

It may take a few bouts til you get the system clear. The prepump filters are an excellent idea.

Enjoy that great looking car...