Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Broke in Door

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Key Broke in Door

Hello everyone!

My question is in regards to my 1985 Jaguar XJ6 VDP. This vehicle has been recently moved outside after having been stored indoors for several months. I recently attempted to start the car after it was sitting for a few weeks and I couldn’t get the driver’s side door open due to the cold weather. I tried the passenger’s side and the key broke off in the door (ugh!). What’s the solution to this? Also, how would one go about obtaining additional keys for this car? I have the key codes, but am unclear about how to go about it. Also, I don’t drive the car in the winter months here in PA, but I do like to crank up my inactive Jaguars until the summer months arrive as to keep everything charged up. Does this process hurt anything long term? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Broken key should be a routine thing for a locksmith.

OK to run the car from time-to-time in the winter months but when you do so, make sure to let it fully warm up. Running for just a couple minutes then shutting down isn't the best idea

Cheers
DD

Old 12-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default winterize

Any good main street lock smith should be able to cut you a key. The lock cylinder can be removed and taken apart and broken key removed. It may come out with a pick, strong magnet and WD40 when the lock thaws.

Frequent and short cold starts are hard on an engine. Opening frozen doors is hard on the seals. Sitting on cold leather causes cracks. I'd suggest you Winterize the vehicle if your not going to use it for the winter. The Jag is particular easy to winterize.

Winterize...

Remove the battery and store inside or simply install battery disconnect switch

Drain fuel tanks which is easy on a jag and / or put stabil in both tanks. Run the car with the stabil so it can get in the injectors and fuel rail.

Top off all fluids and change oil, run engine briefly with the new oil.

Wipe door seals with some silicone lubricant.

Put car on jack stands or slightly over inflate tires.

Treat the seats with a quality leather care product.

Cover the entire car with a breathable car cover. Flap it occasionally and remove any leaves or debris as you walk by now and then.

Leave it alone until spring so things like frozen locks and ripped seals don't happen.

All this should take two hours in the fall and will add up to less time & do less damage than bi monthly starts.

Last edited by icsamerica; 12-18-2013 at 09:15 AM.