Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default LED

I was sent an email from a member of the british car club i belong to, (well, everyone was sent the email, but i am the one forwarding the info so I will take credit. Lol )
Apparently someone has figured out all the leds we need for british cars and has created a site selling them, i have no affiliation and get nothing out of this other than passing it on, but from.what i understand, he is local to central florida, i could be totally wrong though.
The website is www.velocesolutionsllc.com
didnt have time.to scour entire site, but attached.to the email that went out is the fix for led tail and brake lights if you have cruise control, i can cut and paste that bit into a post when i get home.if anyone.needs it.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
but attached.to the email that went out is the fix for led tail and brake lights if you have cruise control, i can cut and paste that bit into a post when i get home.if anyone.needs it.

What's the relationship between LEDs and cruise control, I wonder?

Cheers
DD

Old 12-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably some subtle voltage draw requirement that Jaguar engineers put in that unless the computer senses that certain lights are on, or that the heater is not working and an LED is installed on the left brake light and your front right headlight is out the cruise control will not work, unless you have the stereo tuned to Rush Limbaugh. Or something like that sequence.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

I dont know that it even applies to us, but here is some of the email.

At the local British club monthly breakfast this morning, people liked my new LED lights, but I had to fix a little hiccup. I don't know how many owners have Cruise-Control installed, but I do & after I had replaced the lights, the Cruise in my car stopped working. Then, I remembered that when I had installed the Cruise in my '40 Ford, a few years back, right there in the installation instructions was a note that anyone running LED tail / brake lights would need to splice in a relay at the brake light switch as LEDs are not sensed by the Cruise Control as regular 1157s are. Something to do with grounding. Shown here is a schematic of how the commonly available generic 12V-20/30A. relay is easily wired between the Violet colored wire coming from the Cruise unit to the cold side of the brake light switch. This schematic was from a Dakota-Digital brand Cruise Control, but the Cruise Control that is in my Tiger & my Datsun, is the old Sears aftermarket system & it too had a "Violet" colored wire from the Cruise, so wiring was a snap. Adding the relay to both the Tiger & my Datsun, made the Cruise Control in both cars work again, so I'm a happy guy. Again, this mod is only required if you happen to have Cruise Control, while running LED Tail / Brake lights.

Attached Thumbnails LED-led-cruise-schematic-001.jpg  
Old 12-07-2015, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

This is beyond the outter edge of my electrical knowledge.

The Dakota digital guys are pretty sharp and their stuff is
good.

The relation of brake lights LEDS and Cruise control is in the
interruption of cruise by the stop light switch.

Andrew of Jaguar Specialties site has a schematic on
using a relay to do the reverse logic needed. Light power on, cruise power off!

Yeah, I know, LEDs are the thing. I have one in my desk lamp here as I type. I've another, it will go on the reading lamp aside my recliner.

But, I sure don't like them on Street light stop and go!!

I've a slick little LED flashlight (torch) in the Jaguar.

But, why are the incandescents OK and the LEDS not, I am not sure...f

Carl