Sponsored by:

Mixed feelings about selling my XJ6 SIII

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:58 AM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Mixed feelings about selling my XJ6 SIII

Hi,
I'm struggling with deciding to sell to my 1986 XJ6 Series III that I've owned since 1997 or not I've always loved the looks of the XJ and had wanted a Jaguar for along time. I bought it with 107K miles on it but soon had to repair a burned valve. It had its share of parts wearing out but in general its has been a pretty good car. It was my primary car until Ipurchased a new S-type 3 liter in 2000. Since then I put on 136K miles on it, driving it about once a week or so. It still nice to drive but I find I want the garage space so that I work on other interests like my bicycles and motorcycle.
I know I can't get much money for it but I struggle with selling it versus keeping it with the associated garage space, registration, insurance, etc. What would you do? Are these a future collectible or are they just too common?

Attached Thumbnails Mixed feelings about selling my XJ6 SIII-002.jpg  
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm already struggling with the same thing with my 76 XJ12...cost of current number of repairs that need to be done, versus getting a newer Jag (X-type) that doesn't need as much stuff done to it.

My problem is that it's my daily driver, and I don't have another car to turn to.

The thing about our earlier model XJs is this: there are many models that are older than ours and have a higher value...there are also many newer models that have a lower value than ours. A Jag is a Jag, and cost of housing versus sentimental value can't compare (in my eyes anyway).

This is my first Jag, and yea, it needs a lot done to it, but it IS, and always WILL be my first Jag...thus the sentimental value outweighs the cost of repairs (at least for now...lol).

SHould you decide to sell it, don't take the first lot of money that plops down in front of you. There are Jag enthusiasts all over the country who may be willing to pay a decent price for yours. It looks very clean, and may be worth more than you think. Yes, they're common, but they ARE becoming more and more rare, especially in good condition.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Motormouth,
Thanks for your encouragement, I decided to hold out for my bottom line and sold the '86 XJ6 today. It was great owning it the last 12 years but I recognize it was time to move on to other projects. The couple I sold it to are also Jag-lovers so I know it will be going to a good home. At least I have many happy memories associated my first Jaguar. You are doing some great work with your XJS and I wish you all the best.
Best regards, VMV

Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Howdy VMV. Glad you found a great home for your darling.

I've decided to stick with mine for the time being. Had planned on getting a 68 MK-II, but have decided I'd rather put that money towards my daily driver. I get a lot of compliments on her, and, to be honest, she's the cleanest 76 I've seen (not that I've seen a lot of them, but I've seen some newer ones that are no where NEAR as pretty as mine...lol).

Thanks for the kudos, too!! I just finished the headliner trim and will be posting pictures tomorrow after I get the sun visors and hand holds back up.

Anyway, sorry that you had to sell your baby, but at least you know she went to a good home.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XJ6 to sell or not to sell

Interesting to hear your experience. I have a 1974 Series 2 Jaguar XJ6 here in the UK - and also a 1977 Daimler Sovereign coupe - and have been wondering what to do with it. It's brown - well, Sable - and very low mileage but ideally needs a respray due to microblistering. I'm not sure whether to keep it and respray it or sell it. Values are increasing and I also hire it out - interest in these cars is rising a lot as it is a popular hire car. I can't quite bear to part with it as it drives so well. Hmm.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1982 XJ6 that I have owned since 1982. I have dumped money into it over the years, but it is and always will be a Jag. I would have probably put the same or more into a new car or any other car. They really aren't that expensive to keep running. The up side is that everyone thinks you must have tons of money, and your car really does draw comments. Mine is my daily driver too at least until I get my XJS to be more reliable......then she can rest.