XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 1984 xj6 project

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My 1984 xj6 project

As mentioned in an earlier post, I purchased this vehicle with a GM powertrain. My intention to return this vehicle to Jaguar glory is almost complete. I purchased a 1975 DONOR CAR and have already replaced the GM with the Jaguar engine. As I search the forum I realized that very few members know what I am doing so I am reintroducing myself to the forum. My name is Frank and I live in Florida. I am a retired Automotive Technology Instructor and I am enjoying my retirement working on various car projects. I am a total DIYer, However, I do not profess to know everything, so I still ask for help and within my knowledge I am willing to help anyone. So far all electrical issues have been sorted out,the vehicle repainted,the interior redone and the engine and transmission installed. I will post some pics for everyone to see when I figure out how to.

Attached Thumbnails My 1984 xj6 project-100_0995.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 09-10-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: big pic
Old 09-10-2012, 01:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Good progress Frank,

I've enlarged the thumbnail. Are you having problems posting pics?

Graham

Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Looks great! Nice job!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 PM

graham, i just need to know where to go if I wanted to post progress pics. Now that the engine is in and running, I am going to start to tidy it up. I will be getting a pair of aluminum valve covers, I believe from a '60's jag to really spruce it up> I also ordered a pair of Dellorto side draft carburetors to replace the Strombergs. Dellortos are bullet proof. I also created an album in my garage showing my other Jag "Silvercat" Will post progress reports with pics as soon as you show me how. Thanks

Old 09-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by denraden1
graham, i just need to know where to go if I wanted to post progress pics. Now that the engine is in and running, I am going to start to tidy it up. I will be getting a pair of aluminum valve covers, I believe from a '60's jag to really spruce it up> I also ordered a pair of Dellorto side draft carburetors to replace the Strombergs. Dellortos are bullet proof. I also created an album in my garage showing my other Jag "Silvercat" Will post progress reports with pics as soon as you show me how. Thanks
Frank, you better replace those ugly valve covers soon! (save the nuts and the copper seals).

to post pictures:

1) click on GO ADVANCED (at the bottom of the text box when you're typing).
2) a new window opens, and if you scroll down, you will see a button which says "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS".
3) click on MANAGE ATTACHMENTS and upload your pictures.

Last edited by Jose; 09-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Jose, You bet. Will contact you soon to let you know when I am coming to get them.
So here is a question for everyone.

The 1975 carbureted engine did not have a return fuel line. Fuel is just pumped to the dual carburetors.

The 1984 has a fuel return system. Is it necessary to hook this up? If so, look at the attached pics to see what I plan to do.

The filter in the pic will be connected to the input to the carburetors, the line with the fuel hose will be used to connect to my existing fuel return plumbing.

Does that make sense and is it necessary?

If I do not connect the return, will I have any issues with the fuel system?

Attached Thumbnails My 1984 xj6 project-100_1023.jpg   My 1984 xj6 project-100_1024.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 09-11-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: CREATE LINE BREAKS
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 84 xj6 vanden plas.. Working to bring back to her glory.. The first thing major that I have noticed with these cars, it that no two are the same.. Your engine looks nothing like mine. Might be the fact that you have carbs and mine is fuel injected. But, thought all of the 84's were fuel injected..

Last edited by mccain1; 09-11-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: pictures didn't show up..
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mccain1
I have an 84 xj6 vanden plas.. Working to bring back to her glory.. The first thing major that I have noticed with these cars, it that no two are the same.. Your engine looks nothing like mine. Might be the fact that you have carbs and mine is fuel injected. But, thought all of the 84's were fuel injected..
that's not a 1984, it's his Series 2, he has about 20 Jags.

Last edited by Jose; 09-11-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Default my 1984 project

Just to clear the air. This is an 84 jag that was bought with a GM powertrain. See initial thread. To not continue the (GM) blasphemy, I used a 1975 Series II as a donor car for the powertrain to make the '84 a real jag again. So with the exception of the engine and transmission the car remains a 1984 Series III. Everything on the car is original 1984 Series III which includes the workings for a fuel injected car. The previous owner out of Texas did a John's car GM conversion but rather than leave the original electrical harnesses intact, they ripped them out of the car. if they were still there I would have put the original fuel injected engine back in. I bought this car on a whim on the internet and had it driven to Florida. To my amazement they removed everything that was not required for the GM engine to run. i.e all computers and electrical harnesses from front to back and even from behind the dash. As a result, the most cost effective way for me, based on what I had at my disposal was to put the Series II powertrain in and resolve all of the issues that would come with doing it. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but when you have as much time as I have to invent being busy this was a great challenge. I am 90% complete and already thinking of what I am going to do with an XJS convertible I purchased a while back that is in need of (mucho dinero) to put together. To all those who fear the work and expense to get these cars together, I say that you should not be, because it is not as difficult as some people would make you believe. You may have to invest $ in a proper workshop manual and time in the Jaguar forum. There is a lot of good info there The rest is all common sense. See attachment of what someone can do if you set your mind to it. here are some pics of my dashboard. The darker one was the original and ugly. I redid it using oak veneer and twenty coats of polyurethane. It now matches the upholstery in my car.

Attached Thumbnails My 1984 xj6 project-100_0997.jpg   My 1984 xj6 project-100_0996.jpg   My 1984 xj6 project-100_1003.jpg  

Last edited by denraden1; 09-11-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by denraden1
Just to clear the air. This is an 84 jag that was bought with a GM powertrain. See initial thread. To not continue the (GM) blasphemy, I used a 1975 Series II as a donor car for the powertrain to make the '84 a real jag again. So with the exception of the engine and transmission the car remains a 1984 Series III. Everything on the car is original 1984 Series III which includes the workings for a fuel injected car. The previous owner out of Texas did a John's car GM conversion but rather than leave the original electrical harnesses intact, they ripped them out of the car. if they were still there I would have put the original fuel injected engine back in. I bought this car on a whim on the internet and had driven to Florida. To my amazement they removed everything that was not required for the GM engine to run. i.e all computers and electrical harnesses from front to back and even from behind the dash. As a result, the most cost effective way for me, based on what I had at my disposal was to put the Series II powertrain in and resolve all of the issues that would come with doing it. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment but when you have as much time as I have to invent being busy this was a great challenge. I am 90% complete and already thinking of what I am going to do with an XJS convertible I purchased a while back that is in need of (mucho dinero) to put together. To all those who fear the work and expense to get these cars together, I say that you should not be, because it is not as difficult as some people would make you believe. You may have to invest $ in a proper workshop manual and time in the Jaguar forum. There is a lot of good info there The rest is all common sense. See attachment of what someone can do if you set your mind to it. here are some pics of my dashboard. The darker one was the original and ugly. I redid it using oak veneer and twenty coats of polyurethane. It now matches the upholstery in my car.
I'm selling a bunch of XJS parts if you need anything. I actually like that light blonde finish on the dash parts, never seen it like that, they're always dark.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Jose, that's great. I will talk to you about that when I see you. The dash cost $24.00 for the veneer and $15.00 for the polyurethane. Total time: 4 hours. Used my DA to sand of the old finish then sprayed on two coats of adhesive promoter, laid down the veneer with a steam iron and walla!! Lightly sanded between each of the twenty coats. I used a heat lamp to accelerate the drying process. Buffed out with my polisher. What you see is the finished product. Will complete the console soon. Want to get the engine area done first. Re: the XJS i will be looking for a V12 for parts. Take two and make one. The engine in the may run, not sure yet. Still soaking with Marvel Mystery oil to free it up. Every other day it turns a little more. Was abandoned in FT Pierce for about 15 years but out of the weather. Lots of dry rot. No metal rot so far.

Last edited by denraden1; 09-11-2012 at 03:07 PM.