XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My headliner experience Part 2 - Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My headliner experience Part 2 - Sunroof

I actually did the sunroof first before I did the headliner on my 86 VDP. So my notes are for an 86...probably different on other models for sure. I wanted to experiment with a smaller section first!! It all comes apart pretty easily, just has a lot more little parts etc. Since I didn't have a manual I don't know the proper names for a lot of the parts so you will have to bare with "thingy-ma-jiggers" and "do-dads"!

Removal:

1. Open the sunroof about 1/2 way back and remove 4 screws on the front face.

2. Remove the front side brackets. 2 10 mm nuts. The roof must be back far enough to allow the brackets up off the studs and slide out the sides off the track behind the front spring bar.

3. Slowly move the sunroof forward while lifting up on the top. It should now slide up and forward and out from under the rear spring clips.

4. With the roof closed...remove the rear brackets. There are a number of small pieces here so pay attention to the order. Bend the tabs down on the top flat "do-dad" and remove 2 10 mm nuts. 2 spring clips, 2 round spacers, the bracket, 2 more spring clips, then the bottom plate. The bracket track snaps down over a plastic "thingy - ma - jigger" . Pop the bracket up and off the base and the bracket can now be swung up and out of the way...the bottom part of the sun roof can now be removed for recovering.

5. Put a little grease around the spring clips prior to re-installing your top piece. If you need adjusting after your re-install, there are several possibilities. On the underside of the TOP piece are 2 plastic angled pieces on the sides. These stops have a slot in them and can move about 1/8" They correspond to 2 similar pieces on a bottom bracket on the roof of the car directly in front of the rear side brackets. These 2 also will move forward/backward about 1/8" With some trial and error you can adjust your stops. The bottom angled plastic "do-dads" are removable by sliding off the post to the rear. On the underneath side you will find a screw for adjusting the height. If your sun roof needs to raise more to close tightly...back the screw out bit....if too high...turn it in. It takes some tinkering but between these 2 adjustments you can fine tune your roof pretty nicely.

Again...good luck!!!!